Voting - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Held ground in England and look set for a majority in Wales. Not bad considering how many cretinous Blairites are attempting to stab him in the back on a daily basis. 

Was referring to Scotland though. Zero sign of a "Corbyn bounce" here.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Was referring to Scotland though. Zero sign of a "Corbyn bounce" here.

Because your dealing with something very different up here that Corbyn cannot control. Labour has been abandoned by many due to their despicable behaviour during the Independence campaign. There's nothing Corbyn can do about that.  

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Seems a bit of an odd system that the SNP have lost their majority despite increasing their vote. 

If they had lost more constituencies they would have gained even more via the list. 

More constituencies, more votes but less seats

11 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Seems a bit of an odd system that the SNP have lost their majority despite increasing their vote. 

Its worked against the SNP this time, but for them in the past (e.g. they have come out better 2 out of the past 3 times on this method, percentage wise).

At least that what I remember being said on Radio Scotland around 4am :lol: 

Edit: if anyone listened to that, can they remember the example they used? something like 0.6% difference in percentage over all, was a 5 or 6 seat difference?

Edited by Stu101

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Because your dealing with something very different up here that Corbyn cannot control. Labour has been abandoned by many due to their despicable behaviour during the Independence campaign. There's nothing Corbyn can do about that.  

Labour are in a terrible place.

They lost a huge number of pro-independence supporters to the SNP, and now it seems they've lost pro-Union support to the Tories.

Politics in Scotland seems now to be polarised on one issue, and Labour are caught in the middle.

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I would like to see an SNP/Green coalition. 

I'd rather, and suspect it will be, more of a supply and confidence arrangement. 

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

They lost a huge number of pro-independence supporters to the SNP, and now it seems they've lost pro-Union support to the Tories.

Politics in Scotland seems now to be polarised on one issue, and Labour are caught in the middle.

To be fair, they placed themselves in that position. They cast aside every Yes voter they had with their behaviour. 

13 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Are you paying attention?  The Greens have 0.6% of constituency votes which is unsurprisingly considering they barely stood any FPTP candidates. 

They have 7% on the regional list and six MSPs. 

yes just spotted that. Not sure where I got the 0.6% from.

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Exactly. Feel sorry for Dugdale. Real hospital pass, that one.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

To be fair, they placed themselves in that position. They cast aside every Yes voter they had with their behaviour. 

True, and they were warned at the time they would pay a price.

I wonder where they go now.

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd like to think at some point in the next 5 years, those celebrating Labours demise will regret it a little due to a small c Conservative government, and a Conservative oposition...  But I doubt it :lol:.  I reckon this is the state of politics in Scotland for the forseeable, either until independence is won, or the next referendum is lost and people realise the need to re strategise. 

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/election-night/

The lesson for the Yes campaign is that there are people in Scotland, former Labour voters, who are so committed to the Union that they’ve switched to the Tories. Those are the voters that we will never win over. Seems that the Red Tory jibe was pretty accurate after all. Next time someone from Labour calls the SNP the Tartan Tories all we need to do is to remind them where their votes went. Their hatred of the SNP has killed them. We’re facing an SNP government with the Tories as the official opposition

The big losers are Labour. What’s left of Labour needs to reflect on its ruination. For the first time in over 100 years it looks like they’ve been pushed into third place. If they really believe in the progressive politics they claim to stand for, they need to face up to the reality that Scottish politics is now a contest between a social democratic independence or a reactionary conservative unionism. There can only be one winner in the longer term. Either we lose our NHS, our public services, our free education, and become a glorified nuclear arms dump full of part time workers on zero hours contracts struggling with low wages and ever decreasing rights, or the Union is over. That’s the choice facing Scotland, that’s the choice facing Labour. It’s that stark.

6 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Great result for the Greens as well. Looks like anti nato votes and dissatisfaction with SNP's green policies have had an impact. One of the new Green MSP's was ex SNP wasn't he?

It's a shame so many folk bought in to the "both votes SNP" pish. Just a few hundred more votes for the Greens in the Glasgow list vote and it'd have been 2 Greens and 1 Tory, rather than the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's a shame so many folk bought in to the "both votes SNP" pish. Just a few hundred more votes for the Greens in the Glasgow list vote and it'd have been 2 Greens and 1 Tory, rather than the other way around. 

I voted SNP constituency and Green on the list. A Green/SNP coalition was my preference and looks like that will come out. Hopefully if the case, and the coalition runs well, this will boost the Green vote overall. Hope one day to give both votes to the Greens (as long as they still support independence/referendum in their manifesto). But their policies on transport, housing and council tax are more in line with my views than the SNP policies on such issues.......

64 out of 129  and one seat to go to the Presiding Officer

Will be a better parliament this time,  The Greens will keep SNP on edge and will be interesting to see if the Labour msps vote with the Tories and continue with vote against SNP..

No UKIP is great news...  I think this shows the UKIP guy only got in as an -not SNP candidate - in Euros.

Rennie and Tavish  in.FFS... looks like Rumbles as well.. where do the Libs get their guys from.. Jokes..

The Lib Dems might not be a formal party in Holyrood due to lack of numbers per Stewart Hosie

Thats put their gas at a peep