Worst 5 pubs you've been in - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 5 pubs you've been in

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/6/2016 at 11:16 PM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Myself and the wife went into Bensons Bar on Dalry Road last year as we couldnt find another boozer on way to a restaurant we had booking for. Everyone wrecked despite being only 5pm on a Tuesday, in particular a boy who had no teeth who claimed he had lost a full bottle of vodka down the back of his settee, so had come back down to pub for pints before buying another bottle of vodka. They were friendly enough but nuts.

thats pretty much any pub in gorgie you've just described

subhuman mutants

was robbo in?

7 hours ago, goodguy said:

Not the first time he's been in the papers. Bit of an attention seeker by the looks of it.

Yip, just bouncers being bouncers i.e. arseholes (they're not even directly employed by the Shoe). The Herald shows itself up for the low-grade comic it is by even running with that 'story'.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

In no particular order

The Central Bar - Leith Walk, Leith

Brass Monkey - South Bridge, Edinburgh

Robertsons - Rose Street, Edinburgh

The Spey - Leith Walk, Edinburgh

Standing Order - George Street, Edinburgh

You must have been to only cracking pubs if a couple of those are on your list. Namely standing order which is your standard spoons , and Robertsons which is a bit of tourist haunt.  

What's wrong with brass monkey ? It ain't great but not even in the worst 50 pubs in Edinburgh . 

I'll give you the spey and central as below par . 

4 minutes ago, flumax said:

You must have been to only cracking pubs if a couple of those are on your list. Namely standing order which is your standard spoons , and Robertsons which is a bit of tourist haunt.  

What's wrong with brass monkey ? It ain't great but not even in the worst 50 pubs in Edinburgh . 

Standing Order is ram packed and as with any Wetherspoons the beer is lifeless and the food not only rotten but is drier than a nuns crack

The Brass Monkey? It was a shitehole, frequented by the Lachlans and Findlays of this world while spending there bursaries and mummy and daddy's handouts in the place

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Standing Order is ram packed and as with any Wetherspoons the beer is lifeless and the food not only rotten but is drier than a nuns crack

I think that's an unfair judgement on wetherspoons . All three in Aberdeen are in the CAMRA good beer guide .  Food I agree . 

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Quite like Robertsons. Go there early evening on a Saturday sometimes and it seems a bit of a traditional Edinburgh old man's boozer. Not to everyone's taste, but there are countless worse places around.

4 hours ago, Regenmann said:

The Glaswegian is long gone and it looks like the Sou'wester across the road is set to follow. Too many Bears' pubs closing down. 

Sou'wester was an absolute hole. Had the misfortune of having to go in pre gig one night when the Lauieston was full. 

You are right though, plenty of those kind of pubs are closing. Can't say i'm overly bothered going by their clientele. 

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You are right though, plenty of those kind of pubs are closing. Can't say i'm overly bothered going by their clientele. 

Those boozers are needed though as it keeps the shiite in one place. The minute a shitehole is closed the rats scurry into somewhere half decent and ruin another one.

18 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The Brass Monkey? It was a shitehole, frequented by the Lachlans and Findlays of this world while spending there bursaries and mummy and daddy's handouts in the place

The Standing Order isn't even the worst Wetherspoons pub in Edinburgh . 

18 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Yeah,  people seem to have a snobby attitude to Wetherspoons but they have been influential in supporting cask and keg Brewing in the UK in the last ten years . 

I should probably list some of my worst bars. 

Florida Park,  Glasgow

An absolute hole. Went in a fair few times for a last pint before a game but what a dump. One time a couple of bouncers tried to drag one of my mates out the back with the obvious intention of beating him up a bit. 

There was a bar in Oban I was in once which was just awful, every pint was off and some of the locals (not staff) objected when we took them back. About twenty years ago but u can't remember what it was called. 

Bar in Tijuana where I was scared for me physical safety despite there being seven of us, all big lads. When we were offered the private 'donkey show' by one of the guys managing the strippers, at five in the afternoon,  it was time to return to the relative sanity of the USA . 

Edited by biffer

On 29/04/2016 at 2:45 PM, Bristol Killie said:

I had a similar Jeremy Kyle experience in Newport, Wales the other Friday. Funk knows why I went in to The Greyhound, the fact I stayed there for another 3 hours is even more of a mystery.

I was in Newport earlier this year. me it was depressing. Real poster town for the death of industry in the UK. 

I was drinking in the Florida Park after the semi-final and found it to be charming.

The locals were erm....unique. And having had 1 look in the door, I stuck with bottled beer and resisted the temptation to order G&T.

Beer garden was alright too.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Yep,  I've always thought it was a decent pub

I think it's a soulless beer factory, The Auctioneers is a much better option (in my opinion of course). As a matter of fact I even like the Camperdown under  Queen St station more than the Counting House.

Edited by Larky Masher

Who said the Kempock in Gourock is gash? How very dare you! Best jukebox in the West, and cheap under counter cans of Tennents. Great pub. Now the Old Wherry Tavern in Gourock, sheeithole! 

Worst five pubs? (No particular order) 

1. Loch Ness in Bratislava. Overpriced with no lager on tap, with plastic glasses. 

2. Star bar, Port Glasgow. Oh dear. 

3. Wallace Bar, Port Glasgow. Double oh dear.

4. The Clipper, Plymouth. If you've been there you'll understand!

5. Corinthian, Glasgow. Wanky, pretentious and overpriced.

On 30 April 2016 at 6:56 PM, one t in scotland said:

A controversial inclusion - especially with the omission of the Bee Bar.  An absolute hovel of an establishment with clientele to match. 

Dreadful shop with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Perth seems to be a desert when it comes to decent boozers.