Worst 5 pubs you've been in - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 5 pubs you've been in

Killing time at work and having a look through Old Glasgow pubs. Got me thinking about the worst 5 pubs I've been in...

In no particular order...

1. The Glaswegian, Bridge Street, Glasgow....Only ever went there once during a subcrawl in 2006 or 2007. Everyone there just looked like an utter scumbag, seen some tattoos on folk there that you would never expect to see on anyone outside extreme loyalist places in Northern Ireland. Was pretty pished when we got there and I may have imagined this but I'm sure I seen pool cues on the wall but no sign of a pool table anywhere.

2. The Goose on Union Street, Glasgow....Dull, atmosphere less and seemed to attract a lot of neds after cheap drink.

3. The Empire Bar, Saltmarket, Glasgow....Used to end up in this place every Sunday when I worked in the Peoples Palace as a teenager. Never particularly enjoyed the place back then but as I was with coworkers then it was acceptable enough. Nipped in for a quick pint a couple of years ago and couldn't it quick enough. Very depressing place with a few junkies standing outside.

4. La Ronde, Townhead, Coatbridge...It's in Coatbridge.

5. The Oddfellows, Bolton...Ended up in this place by accident a few years ago, it was full of old guys in the evening and then full of neds before closing time. I think I only stayed as the beer was cheap and there was football on the telly. A few neds ended up scrapping after last orders were called...Didn't stay long enough to find out who won.

Edited by derekfaejapan

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the name of it but on the day of the Georgia game I was in 2 of the worst pubs I've ever been in.  One was under the railway arches at the Gallowgate (near Paddy's Market) and it was an absolute shit hole of the highest order.  Not sure of the name though.

Prior to that I was in what I would class as the worst pub in Glasgow - G Town Lounge.  Where to start with this place.  First of all the name is just awful.  Inside it's actually a decent looking boozer and prior to it becoming this dump was home to a few decent bars.  I've been in it a couple of times since it rebranded though and it's unbelievably poorly run.  They always seem to have ran out of at least 2 or 3 draft beers regardless of when you go in (4pm on a Saturday for example, only 1 draft beer from 5 on!!), the staff are incredibly slow bordering on rude and on a visit at the end of January the decided to turn the heating off half way through the night and it was fecking baltic.  It has the potential to be a decent boozer, good location, nice decor, decent size but they current owners need to have a good look at how to run it properly.  I certainly won't be back while it's still "G Town".

^^^

I accidentally watched the Rugby World Cup final in there after a Dons game, and can confirm - it's shite.

Simon Donnelly was there too, cementing it's shite status. The only positive was that it was so much shitter than everything that surrounds it meaning I had a seat and a clear view.

As an aside, I recommend leaving 8-10 hours between full time and your train home.

I went to a great club once, Seventh Heaven at Charing Cross in Glasgow. Full of minor Glasgow celebrities, think it was part-owned by Stephane Mahe.

A couple of years later I recommended it to a friend who wanted a night out with her female friends.

Turned out it had been reopened as a strip club but kept the name Seventh Heaven. They thought I'd sent them there deliberately.

42 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't know the name of it but on the day of the Georgia game I was in 2 of the worst pubs I've ever been in.  One was under the railway arches at the Gallowgate (near Paddy's Market) and it was an absolute shit hole of the highest order.  Not sure of the name though.

That sounds like The Empire Bar that I mentioned in my opening post...I think there is/was another bar across from the street too though.

Been in loads of shit pubs!

:lol:

Some that immediately come to mind:

The Star - Port Glasgow

looks terrible from outside, got a Celtic club crest painted on the wall inside, don't think it had a ladies toilet IIRC?

Turnstyles bar - parkhead

Was meeting my mate (the same guy that took me to the star actually) and was early, so decided to go in for a pint. Was a full blown IRAoke, with a large group of scary Irish folk standing on the table belting out rebel songs.

Dalzell Arms - Motherwell

My sister had crashed my car, so got the train up to fir park, was an EPL lunchtime kick off on, so nipped in for a pint to catch 2nd half. Nae Sky, just a few old boys watching channel 4 racing. Dump of a pub, shutdown now.

Dohertys - Hamilton

(according to google maps, that's it's name, behind the asda)

Buckfast available, enough said.

im sure there's loads of others!

Cairns bar just off argyle street in Glasgow, I'd second the Goose, even as Wetherspoons type pubs go, it's particularly grim!

is that G-town lounge on queen street? if so I'd agree. Nice place, decent location, service and atmosphere were awful.

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Cairns bar just off argyle street in Glasgow

Good call! Completely forgot about Cairns!

Another couple in Glasgow city centre that spring to mind are Annie Millers and The Quarter Gill. I managed to do some Christmas shopping in the Quarter Gill once :lol:

Edited by derekfaejapan

The Lampost bar in Glasgow. Shut down now. Total dive with no windows. Just a concrete block. Had no drugs signs on the wall. 

Went there when I was 19 with a mate. Talking to the bar maid and she asked if we were like 16, 17. Told her we were 19 and she said it's fine we serve anyone in here. 

Then a scummy guy comes in and asks the pub if anyone has a claw hammer. The bar maid pulls one out to give to him. He then breaks security seals of a bunch of dvd's and asks who wants to buy new dvd's. Another boy comes in later selling trainers.

9 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

The Lampost bar in Glasgow. Shut down now. Total dive with no windows. Just a concrete block. Had no drugs signs on the wall. 

Went there when I was 19 with a mate. Talking to the bar maid and she asked if we were like 16, 17. Told her we were 19 and she said it's fine we serve anyone in here. 

Then a scummy guy comes in and asks the pub if anyone has a claw hammer. The bar maid pulls one out to give to him. He then breaks security seals of a bunch of dvd's and asks who wants to buy new dvd's. Another boy comes in later selling trainers.

Ah, that was the one facing The Empire.

43 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

That sounds like The Empire Bar that I mentioned in my opening post...I think there is/was another bar across from the street too though.

I had a look and it's called The Spirit, just next to the Empire.

10 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

Good call! Completely forgot about Cairns!

Another couple in Glasgow city centre that spring to mind are Annie Millers and The Quarter Gill. I even managed to do some Christmas shopping in the Quarter Gill once :lol:

How long ago was it you were int he Quarter Gill?  While it's by no means a salbrious establishment there are a looooooot worse in Glasgow and there are a few worse within spitting distance of the Quarter Gill ( The Dolphin, The Smiddy and the Vicky Bar springing immediately to mind!)

8 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I used to stay literally right next door to The Lampost when I stayed with a previous girlfriend many moons ago.  She was out one night and I thought I'd nip in for a pint.  Walked in, had a quick scan of the surroundings, walked round a table and straight back out.  Never ventured in again!

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, derekfaejapan said:

Ah, that was the one facing The Empire.

Think you're getting mixed up.  The Empire is down at the Saltmarket end of High Street, just under the bridge.  The Lampost was up on Duke Street just off High Street at the other end.

26 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

How long ago was it you were int he Quarter Gill?  While it's by no means a salbrious establishment there are a looooooot worse in Glasgow and there are a few worse within spitting distance of the Quarter Gill ( The Dolphin, The Smiddy and the Vicky Bar springing immediately to mind!)

That would've been Christmas 2004 when I was working near there for a while.

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Think you're getting mixed up.  The Empire is down at the Saltmarket end of High Street, just under the bridge.  The Lampost was up on Duke Street just off High Street at the other end.

There might have been two then. This Google Street view shows a Lampost Bar across from the Empire

45 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I used to stay literally right next door to The Lampost when I stayed with a previous girlfriend many moons ago.  She was out one night and I thought I'd nip in for a pint.  Walked in, had a quick scan of the surroundings, walked round a table and straight back out.  Never ventured in again!

One of the many benefits of the smoking ban is that you can now scope out a bar before you go in based on the jakieness of the punters having a fag outside.