EU Referendum - Page 50 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm not saying that the UK cannot stand on it's own 2 feet. However, there's a reason that it punches above it's population-related weight in economic terms. One of those reasons was down to it trading within the single market. 

Without the single market and the the financial service sector being able to operate within the EU, the economy will shrink.  

so we wont be trading with eu countries any more?  aldi and lidl all closing down here?  no more german cars?  london and edinburgh have two of the biggest financial sectors in the world.  there will be a kickback effect from some eu countries but business is business for a' that and we will be trading with all. believe me.  if my pal for one minute thought he couldnt now buy adidas samba he would run a mile.

Scotland has had two referendum and has voted in favour of two unions. The UK and The EU. The rUK just voted to leave the EU. This means there will have to be a vote to decide which union Scotland prefers the most, the UK or the EU as it is not clear. So it has to happen. Unavoidable. 

Thank you Michael Gove you chinless wonder.

1 minute ago, Fermer said:

so we wont be trading with eu countries any more?  aldi and lidl all closing down here?  no more german cars?  london and edinburgh have two of the biggest financial sectors in the world.  there will be a kickback effect from some eu countries but business is business for a' that and we will be trading with all. believe me.  if my pal for one minute thought he couldnt now buy adidas samba he would run a mile.

Of course we'll trade. We will not trade freely though. You obviously don't understand the Single Market and how it works - probably why you'll have voted to Leave it... 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Of course we'll trade. We will not trade freely though. You obviously don't understand the Single Market and how it works - probably why you'll have voted to Leave it... 

lol on that one parkie.  I have taught international business for 20 years and used to take students to brussels/strasbourg every year for 10 years.  as i said a waste of money.  the only good bit of the trip was a visit to the kronenbourg brewery in strasbourg where we all got free drink.  so i proved i can run a piss up in a brewery. 

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Yeah keep calling them racists and watch them stick that NO up your arse for the second time in 5 years.

Sorry I should have been more specific. The racists living in England have given us a free go. 

Now, I don't mean that all folk living in England are racists or that all "Leavers" living in England are racist, but I'm pretty sure there were enough of them to tip the balance.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Now, I don't mean that all folk living in England are racists or that all "Leavers" living in England are racist, but I'm pretty sure there were enough of them to tip the balance.

Now that you mention it.  Are 38% of Scottish voters racist?  Or can we assume they're all just, like me.

4 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Now that you mention it.  Are 38% of Scottish voters racist?  Or can we assume they're all just, like me.

Not everyone who voted leave is racist. Almost every racist who voted would've voted to leave though. 

1 minute ago, Scunnered said:

No. Probably about the same small percentage as down south but the Scottish ones didn't tip the balance in favour of Brexit.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

No. Probably about the same small percentage as down south but the Scottish ones didn't tip the balance in favour of Brexit.

i think we all know loads of folk who voted purely on the racist card, especially the older folk and this could well have tipped the balance.   

1 hour ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Complacency or arrogance?

Heard a decent point on the radio earlier. Cameron made the EU referendum a manifesto pledge while not expecting to win an overall majority and therefore have to commit to it.

Just now, Fermer said:

i think we all know loads of folk who voted purely on the racist card, especially the older folk and this could well have tipped the balance.   

Heard a Brummie woman calling in to Jeremey Vine's show saying her father and brothers' votes should be discounted as they both voted for out and out racist reasons!

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Heard a decent point on the radio earlier. Cameron made the EU referendum a manifesto pledge while not expecting to win an overall majority and therefore have to commit to it.

Yeah that perpetually angry fella on Sky News said the same this morning.  The one who was desperate to get Corbyn to resign on air.

This EU referendum result is now a time bomb that is going to blow the UK apart. The votes for leave are so concentrated in certain geographical areas it has created large pockets that have voted to remain versus leave. England Wales on Leave and Scotland & NI on Stay. With only a 2% margin that is not going to be enough to hold the UK together and exit the EU at the same time. Something will pop off! Maybe Scotland (but probably NI knowing our luck).

Plus this large metropolitan versus country dimension. Already some folk want London to declare its independence. this will tear the UK apart now.

Seriously Cameron has really fecked this one up. From hero to zero and then some.

Edited by thplinth

53 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

It's worth remembering over 30% of Scots voted to leave the EU. If #indyref2 is fought along EU fault line, that's a lot of votes immediately discounted. The question becomes far more complex and will depend on the number of No voters who want to remain in the EU, versus the number of Yes voters who want to leave the EU.

Heart says another referendum inevitable and independence just a matter of time. Head says it's still very tight and a potential minefield. We lose #indyref2 and we're stuck with Tory-led rule and outside of the EU. A f***ing nightmare.

We really need to think laterally here. It's all about messaging. The feelers have to go out while the the Tories and Labour are in total disarray. I reckon Rith may be open to going UDI herself, from the main Conservative party. If she can see herself as the head of a strong, vibrant small c Conservative party, free of the poison of Thatcherism, she might just see this as a change in tack.

Likewise, Labour for Independence, would go a small way to regenerating the partying Scotland and an independent Scotland.

Go into Indy two where the Westminster parties are focuses in the Brexit and all parties are aligned in Scotland.

J

34 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Commentator from Berlin just made an interesting point regarding car manufacturers.  While on one hand  the UK is an important market for, say, BMW, the big fear is contagion and other countries also looking to pull out of the EU and on that basis they may be prepared to take a hit on the UK market so as to not impact the wider EU market. 

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This EU referendum result is now a time bomb that is going to blow the UK apart. The votes for leave are so concentrated in certain geographical areas it has created large pockets that have voted to remain versus leave. England Wales on Leave and Scotland & NI on Stay. With only a 2% margin that is not going to be enough to hold the UK together and exit the EU at the same time. Something will pop off! Maybe Scotland (but probably NI knowing our luck).

Plus this large metropolitan versus country dimension. Already some folk want London to declare its independence. this will tear the UK apart now.

Seriously Cameron has really fecked this one up. From hero to zero and then some.

I would assume any area wanting any sort of independence  will need to get an election happening quite sharpish as apparently the Netherlands, Denmark and a few more countries are making rumblings about leaving the EU. If the EU folds then Scotland would not have a reason to split from the UK