EU Referendum - Page 76 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Mandate from the people ?

CwcoPneXEAEP_rb.jpg

The people in the green bottom-right quarter are the only folk that count. You know this.

I see (and i bet you do too) the same nonsense bandied about by anti-SNP unionists who decry the legitimacy of the Scottish government.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That 18.8 million number seems high to me. 

Just doing the sums in my head and it looks about right to me.  UK population is ~65 million which is what the four sections add up to.  The electorate was 46.5 million, so it's probably right.  Gibraltar was also included but I can't imagine that's more than 50000.

Obviously there are lots of people who were not eligible to vote, mainly under 18s and foreign nationals, Irish citizens of course can vote, but what would be interesting is of the 18.8 million, how many were eligible to vote but were not registered.  That gives you a picture of how many people are disenfranchised. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Just doing the sums in my head and it looks about right to me.  UK population is ~65 million which is what the four sections add up to.  The electorate was 46.5 million, so it's probably right.  Gibraltar was also included but I can't imagine that's more than 50000.

Obviously there are lots of people who were not eligible to vote, mainly under 18s and foreign nationals, Irish citizens of course can vote, but what would be interesting is of the 18.8 million, how many were eligible to vote but were not registered.  That gives you a picture of how many people are disenfranchised

That's there own fault for not registering

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, Rossy said:

Isn't it about time that you started considering the possibility that an independent Scotland may offer a better future than a xenophobic, right-wing, narrow minded rUK ?

Or are you happy to unthinkingly settle for the cult of Unionism, regardless ?

I live in Scotland. You choose to move. I bring my family up. You choose not to. My family well being is tied up in Scotland. Yours is not. You choose to live in a country who has a very strong populist "right wing" party as 2nd most popular through populism. Yet try to moralise. This is a big reason why the EU vote was lost. Hypocrisy. Insincerity. "Untruths". The cult of the EU will bring it down as it double downs instead of adapting. It's a very dad situation.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

I live in Scotland. You choose to move. I bring my family up. You choose not to. My family well being is tied up in Scotland. Yours is not. You choose to live in a country who has a very strong populist "right wing" party as 2nd most popular through populism. Yet try to moralise. This is a big reason why the EU vote was lost. Hypocrisy. Insincerity. "Untruths". The cult of the EU will bring it down as it double downs instead of adapting. It's a very dad situation.

Choose self-loathing. Choose a fu*king big television and the Great British Bake-Off. Choose denial. Choose cognitive dissonance, privatised healthcare, and the Daily Mail. Choose Farage, UKIP and "dad situations". Choose unionism.

Edited by Dave78

5 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Choose self-loathing. Choose a fu*king big television and the Great British Bake-Off. Choose denial. Choose cognitive dissonance, privatised healthcare, and the Daily Mail. Choose Farage, UKIP and "dad situations". Choose unionism.

Ach, better to leave him alone. He has the Scottish cringe and can't help himself. 

He's just a wee boy who's never moved more than 5 minutes away from his mum and sneers at others who do better. More to be pitied than attacked. :ok:

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, aaid said:

no its not, ...........its a non story, not a chance in hell it would happen file under 'double decker bus found on moon'

2 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

no its not, ...........its a non story, not a chance in hell it would happen file under 'double decker bus found on moon'

I've no doubt that you're right but it's a nice bit of mischief.  The only thing to send the Daily Mail brigade into apoplexy more than the SNP derailing Brexit would be if it were Sinn Fein. 

Farage is now going to lead a mob of 100,000 to the Supreme Court as the Brexit appeal starts and has predicted civil unrest. The guy's an unreconstructed fascist. I hope they've got a decent sprinkler system in the building.

Edited by neilser

4 hours ago, neilser said:

Farage is now going to lead a mob of 100,000 to the Supreme Court as the Brexit appeal starts and has predicted civil unrest. The guy's an unreconstructed fascist. I hope they've got a decent sprinkler system in the building.

This is all very far away from ordinary Euroscepticism. But it has propelled him into being one of the most powerful voices in the country.

The traditional British mainstream parties and commentators seem not to know what to do about it - I mean they will happily cast Salmond as a little dictator, and they will call the Pacific Quay protest an ugly mob, they will and talk of a one party state, and yet in the middle of this there's a guy claiming to represent the 'will of the people' actually threatening to unleash mob rule against the 'enemies of the people'.

Edited by exile

And history is being rewritten about what Brexit was supposed to mean. Before the vote, there were several kinds of relationship with the EU touted, the Norway model, the Switzerland model, the Albania model, etc. Farage now seems to be claiming that it was only the hardest Brexit model - with no free movement - that was voted for. But this was only ever a minority view and if that had been on the ballot paper it would not have won.

The Dalriada document

http://www.centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/papers/The Dalriada Document.pdf

"how Northern Ireland and Scotland should and could stay within the European Union while remaining inside the United Kingdom "

The last paragraph is telling: roughly speaking, if you wished to break up a multi-national state, what the Tory govt is doing is the way to do it.

3 hours ago, exile said:

The Dalriada document

http://www.centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/papers/The Dalriada Document.pdf

"how Northern Ireland and Scotland should and could stay within the European Union while remaining inside the United Kingdom "

The last paragraph is telling: roughly speaking, if you wished to break up a multi-national state, what the Tory govt is doing is the way to do it.

I'll take it. Sounds a well reasoned argument. I hope the likes of the FM and PM are aware of this. 

14 hours ago, flumax said:

I'll take it. Sounds a well reasoned argument. I hope the likes of the FM and PM are aware of this. 

It manages a rare thing, to take a line that is neither pro or anti independence, reunification, or even Brexit. It says in effect, you could do Brexit (or rather, UKexit) in a way that allows Scotland & NI to get what they voted for, and Eng & Wales for that matter, without either hastening or hindering independence or reunification.

Also is the first piece I've seen that draws clear distinctions between the way the two unions (of GB3 and UK4) work, and also the anomalous position of Gibraltar.

• 2 weeks later...