Rangers 2015/16 championship champions - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers 2015/16 championship champions

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Frustrating tonight at times but it would be churlish to concentrate on that. Delighted to be promoted and overall it's been a hugely enjoyable season and chalk and cheese compared with last year.

i enjoyed the irony of the scoreboards asking the fans not to invade the pitch to ensure the players' safety only for Andy Halliday to wade deep into the Broomloan corner for (what I understand is referred to as) 'a selfie' with the fans. ;)

Rangers midfielder Andy Halliday celebrates with the fans at full-time after their victory at Ibrox 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I'm going to be churlish.  We were rank rotten last night.  Our insistence of trying to play through the middle when Dumbarton had 8 men around the D was baffling.  It's no surprise that our goal came from one of the few times we got the ball out wide and played it in to the box.  It was evident from about 10 minutes in that was the only way we were going to break Dumbarton down.  As enjoyable as this season has been Warburton's insistence that "Plan B is to do Plan A better" is quite frustrating and his reluctance to change tactics when things arent working is a bit worrying.  We also need to severely overhaul our central defence to have even a chance of competing next season. 

That being said I don't want to be too glass half empty.  Some of the football we've seen this season has been a joy to watch (when it's worked!).  Coming on the back of 4 seasons of McCoist drudgery it was particularly pleasing and Warburton does seem to have an eye for spotting a bargain with the likes of Tavernier, Waghorn, Holt, Halliday, Forrester and even Foderingham all exceeding expectations.  I don't expect us to splash the cash in the summer (warchest) more likely we'll see a few shrewd signings from the Championship down south and a couple of EPL loans (although hopefully better than this years crop) and with strengthening in the right areas I'd be hopeful of challenging for a European spot.  Onwards and upwards!! 

9 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm afraid I'm going to be churlish.  We were rank rotten last night.  Our insistence of trying to play through the middle when Dumbarton had 8 men around the D was baffling.  It's no surprise that our goal came from one of the few times we got the ball out wide and played it in to the box.  It was evident from about 10 minutes in that was the only way we were going to break Dumbarton down.  As enjoyable as this season has been Warburton's insistence that "Plan B is to do Plan A better" is quite frustrating and his reluctance to change tactics when things arent working is a bit worrying.  We also need to severely overhaul our central defence to have even a chance of competing next season. 

That being said I don't want to be too glass half empty.  Some of the football we've seen this season has been a joy to watch (when it's worked!).  Coming on the back of 4 seasons of McCoist drudgery it was particularly pleasing and Warburton does seem to have an eye for spotting a bargain with the likes of Tavernier, Waghorn, Holt, Halliday, Forrester and even Foderingham all exceeding expectations.  I don't expect us to splash the cash in the summer (warchest) more likely we'll see a few shrewd signings from the Championship down south and a couple of EPL loans (although hopefully better than this years crop) and with strengthening in the right areas I'd be hopeful of challenging for a European spot.  Onwards and upwards!! 

Boooo you with your realism! ;)

We weren't great last night at all, I agree with you, although to give credit to Dumbarton, they put 9 outfield players behind the bal, defended really well and kept Christian Nade up front, who I thought had a great game! He continuously used his considerable bulk to (legally) block our centre-halves from the high ball and deny them the opportunity to get close to winning headers and it was a really good outlet for Dumbarton and, in truth, their only attacking outlet. That said, Rob Kiernan wasn't very good in dealing with him, I thought.

We started with 3 wingers in McKay. Forrester and King (who I thought was MOTM) and at times, they were all interchanging to the point where it was uncertain what position, if any, they were supposed to be in. As I say, Dumbarton defended well but we were too pensive at times and unfortunately, whilst we try and play tiki-taka most of the time, we ain't Barca! I felt that we should have started with a Law or Shiels rather than one of the wingers, which may have given us greater control and penetration.

Overall though, we've had a terrific season and that won't change even if Celtic pump us in a couple of weeks. We've achieved our only realistic aim, played some great stuff along the way and acquired some good young players on the relative cheap at the same time so all-in-all, it's been very satisfying.

Re the "Plan A/Plan B" thing, I suspect that was a comment specific to the Championship only and will change next season because I have serious doubts that he would employ such gung-ho tactics against Celtic at Parkhead. Old Watty Smith would be having kittens at the mere thought of it!

12 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

We've achieved our only realistic aim

You have the 2nd biggest budget in Scotland, i don't think it's unrealistic to be aiming at winning one of the 2 major domestic trophies. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You have the 2nd biggest budget in Scotland, i don't think it's unrealistic to be aiming at winning one of the 2 major domestic trophies. 

I agree with this.  And Sunday, we can realise that Dream and lift the Challenge Cup.  League Cups a Diddy Cup.

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

On the face of it  that's true, but given the major overhaul that was required, both to playing staff, and overall backroom structure, there are very few fans that saw either of the Cups as priorities this season, nor were they expected. 

One thing McCoist's tenure taught our support was to be a bit more realistic against Premiership opposition. Was it really that much of a shock when St Johnstone thrashed us, for example? I dont think it was. 

What I say is that I suspect that view will change for next season. It will be interesting to see how our fans react if we aren't winning every week. 

36 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

there are very few fans that saw either of the Cups as priorities this season, nor were they expected. 

I agree that Rangers' number 1 priority should have been winning the league, which they have done comfortably. 

Will be interesting to see how rangers will adapt to the Premiership. 

A few additional players will assist clearly and Waghorn seems to have an eye for 'cheaper' talent.

Can I offer Ryan McGowan, an established Premiership player ? 

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I agree that Rangers' number 1 priority should have been winning the league, which they have done comfortably. 

It has ended up that way, however there was a point round about December/January where it was very tight, with many people tipping Hibs, hence I think the Cup's have always been nothing more than a bonus. 

21 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Will be interesting to see how rangers will adapt to the Premiership. 

A few additional players will assist clearly and Waghorn seems to have an eye for 'cheaper' talent.

Can I offer Ryan McGowan, an established Premiership player ? 

What are you havering about? :lol: 

Waghorn is a player for Rangers, the manager is called Warburton. And Ryan McGowan is now playing his football in China, where he'll be earning considerably more than he would in Scotland. 

Fair enough, well done to my Bear chums on the board.

Our March month horriblus furked us up big time, the amount of games where you scored late on to win was rather frustrating!

I think the game at QOS where Miller scored that weird goal was the point I thought the game was up, although we were shite again last night, hopefully we are on course to let Falkirk and Raith battle each other first.

I have thought for a long time that we will play Hamilton in the promotion/relegation playoff.  Football seems to throw up these coincedences, our chance to relegate the team that relegated us.

13 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Frustrating tonight at times but it would be churlish to concentrate on that. Delighted to be promoted and overall it's been a hugely enjoyable season and chalk and cheese compared with last year.

i enjoyed the irony of the scoreboards asking the fans not to invade the pitch to ensure the players' safety only for Andy Halliday to wade deep into the Broomloan corner for (what I understand is referred to as) 'a selfie' with the fans. ;)

Halliday is a bawbag ned. Red card against celtic for sure.

8 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Halliday is a bawbag ned. Red card against celtic for sure.

He may well be. I don't know him personally, but I couldn't care less because he's been good for us this season.

Footballer in maybe being a bit of a ned shocker. He certainly stands alone in that regard.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

What are you havering about? :lol: 

Waghorn is a player for Rangers, the manager is called Warburton. And Ryan McGowan is now playing his football in China, where he'll be earning considerably more than he would in Scotland. 

I should really double check before posting shouldn't I ! ?

2 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

He may well be. I don't know him personally, but I couldn't care less because he's been good for us this season.

Footballer in maybe being a bit of a ned shocker. He certainly stands alone in that regard.

chanting his dedicated "hate song" with the fans last night was the sign of a class act.  

45 minutes ago, giblet said:

chanting his dedicated "hate song" with the fans last night was the sign of a class act.  

canny beat a bit of follow follow with all the add ons

20 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

If there evidence to support that (i.e. he sung the "add ons") then he should face the consequences.

Sorry didnt actualy mean he sang the add ons,he just started it then got dragged away, the lovely fans sang some nice add ons though. All the part time fans appearing out the woodwork now too, gona be shite to have them back

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm pretty sure he only sang the first verse.  Nothing to see here.

I didn't hear it but I've decided to be offended regardless.

They should bring back hanging for offences like this.

6 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Sorry didnt actualy mean he sang the add ons,he just started it then got dragged away, the lovely fans sang some nice add ons though. All the part time fans appearing out the woodwork now too, gona be shite to have them back

Eh?  We've had consistently high crowds for the last 4 years.