Today's The Day - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today's The Day

To paraphrase Jim Sillars, today from 7am until 10pm, for the first time ever the Scottish people will be sovereign....

In 1975 the people of the UK were given a referendum to affirm retrospectively if they wished to remain in the EEC that they had been taken into, by the government of the day, in 1973.

Today, the people of Scotland have a chance to affirm retrospectively if they wish to remain in the UK that they had been taken into, by the government of the day, in 1707...

Aye, today's the day. From the time most of us wake up tomorrow morning until we start drinking shy of 10pm ;) , our destiny is of our making. For me, this has been a wonderful Yes campaign, Whatever the result, for the first time in my life, I'm actually proud of Scotland. It's been amazing what has happened here and I've had good luck messages from Northern Ireland, Catalonia and Germany tonight alone.

I love all Yes voters. The hopes and best wishes of the world are with us in this movement. Stand free, walk tall, and be full of confidence that you can deal with whatever comes your way. Let's create a country we can all be proud of. VOTE YES.

Its already past 9am here in the Northern Territory of Australia.

Well....this is it. The day of days. The biggest day in Scotland's history for 300 years.

God I wish I was there.

Ive never been so nervous. Never been so excited. Never been so proud.

To the people of Scotland I say this. You are my countrymen and although I'm far away we have bonds that will never be broken. I love you all.

Go for it. Seal the deal.

Tomorrow you can wake up as free men and women in the best country in the world.

Saor Alba. Vote Yes.

I actually feel quite nervous, even though I don't have a vote or a strong opinion either way. I think it's just the magnitude of the occasion. I'm playing football tomorrow evening from 9-10pm, and then it will be back for a shower and then in front of the TV from 1040pm onwards for through the night coverage. I love general election nights, but this is uncharted territory.

If Yes wins, it's going to be incredible. The fall out from the last GE was dramatic - what with the speculation over the coalition and whether it would be Lab/Lib or Con/Lib etc. - but a Yes vote tomorrow would make this Friday's events just, I dunno...I have nothing to compare it to. There'll be celebration, happiness, sadness, shock, confusion, anger, chaos, perhaps? Not saying anything bad will happen, but just that the reaction to a Yes vote would be so interesting to witness.

Tomorrow is massive. Unlike with the death of Diana or 9/11, you knew that this day was coming, but now it's finally here (and especially given the closeness of the polls) it's just incredible. It almost doesn't feel real. I bought some Famous Grouse whisky on Monday afternoon which I had intended to drink tomorrow night during the tv coverage. Unfortunately, my Monday night 5's team got smashed 10-0 so I decided to drown my sorrows soon after the game and now there's none left. On the plus side, at least tomorrow night I'll be sober and able to follow the events properly. :beer2:

I actually feel quite nervous, even though I don't have a vote or a strong opinion either way. I think it's just the magnitude of the occasion. I'm playing football tomorrow evening from 9-10pm, and then it will be back for a shower and then in front of the TV from 1040pm onwards for through the night coverage. I love general election nights, but this is uncharted territory.

If Yes wins, it's going to be incredible. The fall out from the last GE was dramatic - what with the speculation over the coalition and whether it would be Lab/Lib or Con/Lib etc. - but a Yes vote tomorrow would make this Friday's events just, I dunno...I have nothing to compare it to. There'll be celebration, happiness, sadness, shock, confusion, anger, chaos, perhaps? Not saying anything bad will happen, but just that the reaction to a Yes vote would be so interesting to witness.

Tomorrow is massive. Unlike with the death of Diana or 9/11, you knew that this day was coming, but now it's finally here (and especially given the closeness of the polls) it's just incredible. It almost doesn't feel real. I bought some Famous Grouse whisky on Monday afternoon which I had intended to drink tomorrow night during the tv coverage. Unfortunately, my Monday night 5's team got smashed 10-0 so I decided to drown my sorrows soon after the game and now there's none left. On the plus side, at least tomorrow night I'll be sober and able to follow the events properly. :beer2:

:beer2:

Tomorrow is massive. Unlike with the death of Diana or 9/11, you knew that this day was coming, but now it's finally here (and especially given the closeness of the polls) it's just incredible. It almost doesn't feel real.

Cheers, flynny. I certainly agree about the need to change many things about Westminster and the UK more generally.

I think the abject failure of the No campaign to put forward a positive message is quite remarkable. I know it's often easier to be positive about change than it is to argue for keeping (many) things the same, but that's no excuse. And even if I don't get a vote and I'm not a Scot, I've still been utterly appalled by the attacks upon a future independent Scotland. The scaremongering, the threats, and the deviousness of some within the pro-union camp has been a disgrace and shame a supposedly decent and democratic country like the UK supposedly is All I can say is that it wasn't done in my name, and I'm sure plenty of other rUKer's feel the same way. It's perfectly legitimate to analyse and question how an independent Scotland might turn out, but to predict the levels of doom and disaster that have been suggested is an insult to Scotland and the Scots.