Best 11 in SPL - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best 11 in SPL

I don't think Celtic would get relegated from the EPL.  Given that the Premiership's (or whatever it's currently called) best XI would be better than Celtic then I think it would avoid relegation.  I don't know enough players though to pick the best XI.  Ones that spring immediately to mind would be Gordon, Griffiths, Shinnie and Rooney.

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think Celtic would get relegated from the EPL.  Given that the Premiership's (or whatever it's currently called) best XI would be better than Celtic then I think it would avoid relegation.  I don't know enough players though to pick the best XI.  Ones that spring immediately to mind would be Gordon, Griffiths, Shinnie and Rooney.

You're havering if you don't think Celtic would get relegated from the EPL with their current squad.

An SPL X1 would do little better.  

5 minutes ago, Debian said:

You're havering if you don't think Celtic would get relegated from the EPL with their current squad.

An SPL X1 would do little better.  

they wouldn't use their current squad though............they'd get a piece of the money pie like every other team and replace their entire starting 11.

If I'm being brutally honest, an SPL XI from today in the EPL would be like Wigan used to be. A hard working team with two or three half-decent players but nonetheless constantly fighting relegation and only narrowly avoiding the latter. 

An SPL XI from circa 2000/2001 would finish mid table in the EPL at least. But those days are gone now. It would also be made up entirely of Old Firm players - Larsson, van Bronckhorst, Mjallby, Ferguson, Balde, Klos, Lambert ......

It would be a pretty awful XI I fear. 

Based on this seasons form from all clubs, it's pretty hard to think of eleven players. 

From the Dons I'd have Shinnie and Rooney. I wouldn't have Gordon as keeper, I'd go for Bain or Cerny.

Griffiths, obviously. Irvine from Ross County, Draper from ICT. As Nicholson at the Pink bus shelter is their only player that doesn't kick everything that moves, I'd go for him. 

There's a Plastic Whistle player who's quite good. Can't remember his name but he'd be in there. 

After that...hmmm.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If I'm being brutally honest, an SPL XI from today in the EPL would be like Wigan used to be. A hard working team with two or three half-decent players but nonetheless constantly fighting relegation and only narrowly avoiding the latter. 

An SPL XI from circa 2000/2001 would finish mid table in the EPL at least. But those days are gone now. It would also be made up entirely of Old Firm players - Larsson, van Bronckhorst, Mjallby, Ferguson, Balde, Klos, Lambert ......

I think you are right about today's team, although I think Celtic are only a good manger and a decent centre-back away from being a much better team than they appear to be now, although they'd still be relegation battlers.

I think the 2000/01 XI would have been challenging for a Champions League spot.  Both Celtic and Rangers would have been comfortably in top half.  A combined team could have easily finished as high as 3rd or 4th.

We had some fantastic players back then.  I'm not sure we'll see quality like Larsson and Moravick at Celtic Park again for a while.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think you are right about today's team, although I think Celtic are only a good manger and a decent centre-back away from being a much better team than they appear to be now, although they'd still be relegation battlers.

I think the 2000/01 XI would have been challenging for a Champions League spot.  Both Celtic and Rangers would have been comfortably in top half.  A combined team could have easily finished as high as 3rd or 4th.

We had some fantastic players back then.  I'm not sure we'll see quality like Larsson and Moravick at Celtic Park again for a while.

Youll be lucky to see quality like that again ever

55 minutes ago, black'n'tan said:

Anywhere in Scotland. Chinese League on Sky is the future to see the top players chasing the money ?

Aye i highly doubt you will see a moravcik or Larsson  quality player in the scottish league again, unless therr is a major shake up

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

Aye i highly doubt you will see a moravcik or Larsson  quality player in the scottish league again, unless therr is a major shake up

Things will change. They always do.

Personally, I don't think we are too far away from a super-rich foreign investor buying a team in Scotland. Someone could come in and without needing to spend too much, they could turn one of a handful of teams into the countries top team and ensure they are playing in the Champions League most years.

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Personally, I don't think we are too far away from a super-rich foreign investor buying a team in Scotland. Someone could come in and without needing to spend too much, they could turn one of a handful of teams into the countries top team and ensure they are playing in the Champions League most years.

Dermot Desmond ?

10 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the "City football group" do it TBH. Unfortunately it would probably be  Celtic (already have a relationship with the loans & sales over the last few years) or Aberdeen (best of the rest) ???

13 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Id say there is no appeal for players to come hete though. Youre not gona get a top quality player want to come and play in the scottish league against shit every week. And yhe money would need to seriously go up.

Maybe one day, but personally I cant see it.

9 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Id say there is no appeal for players to come hete though. Youre not gona get a top quality player want to come and play in the scottish league against shit every week. And yhe money would need to seriously go up.

Maybe one day, but personally I cant see it.

As things stand, it will be almost impossible to see top players moving to Scotland. However, younger players developing into top players whilst playing in Scotland isn't out the question. 

But, I do not think that things will stay as they are now forever. Things change and hopefully they will be for the better. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

36 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

As things stand, it will be almost impossible to see top players moving to Scotland. However, younger players developing into top players whilst playing in Scotland isn't out the question. 

But, I do not think that things will stay as they are now forever. Things change and hopefully they will be for the better. 

Yea i dont disagree about the youngsters, i would say we have a better crop coming throgh than we have had.

20 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Yea i dont disagree about the youngsters, i would say we have a better crop coming throgh than we have had.

The biggest problem now is they move on before we get to see them anywhere near their potential. Fraser and Gauld being the best examples. Hopefully players will look at the relative success for McArthur and McCarthy and see the benefit of getting a lot of experience before moving to a bigger challenge. 

16 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

The biggest problem now is they move on before we get to see them anywhere near their potential. Fraser and Gauld being the best examples. Hopefully players will look at the relative success for McArthur and McCarthy and see the benefit of getting a lot of experience before moving to a bigger challenge. 

Yeah for sure, it looked like it was going well for Gauld but its all gona very quiet. The money down south is the worst part though, too easy to see the ££ signs