Killie Vs Rangers - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Killie Vs Rangers

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Funnily enough I don't have that data to hand just now.

Cool. I'd thought you might have been speaking from having looked in to it, rather than just anecdotal evidence. That doesn't mean your anecdotal evidence isn't worth anything, it's just good to get things in to context and understand the information being presented better. 

I'm assuming that some studies have been done on the "shock absorption" of the pitch at rugby park, since rugby can be played on it. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Can you show me some data comparing the "shock absorption" levels on grass and the Rugby Park pitch (or other pitches the same)? 

I'd be interested to see if your opinion is backed on something other than anecdotal evidence. 

he has used the ultimate in argument closers : "Everyone who's ever played football knows......"

No point in contesting it. Everyone who has ever posted on here knows you can't compete with that.......

The only ill effect I've ever had playing on an artificial surface is the b****** of a graze you get from making that last ditch tackle.

And whenever I've heard people moan of a sore back or knees / feet its normally because they are wearing blades or similar.

Edited by Donaldo87

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Cool. I'd thought you might have been speaking from having looked in to it, rather than just anecdotal evidence. That doesn't mean your anecdotal evidence isn't worth anything, it's just good to get things in to context and understand the information being presented better. 

I'm assuming that some studies have been done on the "shock absorption" of the pitch at rugby park, since rugby can be played on it. 

Pretty sure the Rugby plays on it because of the manufacturer etc rather than any specific study of that particular pitch.

This doesn't mean anything as having spoken to a colleague who runs a rugby club about this issue he says that the game is very different on astro as scrums are contested in the same way if at all and other things also change tactically. I can't say how accurate that is as my rugby knowledge is very limited. 

So the Rugby using the pitch is a bit of a red herring it would seem.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

he has used the ultimate in argument closers : "Everyone who's ever played football knows......"

No point in contesting it. Everyone who has ever posted on here knows you can't compete with that.......

Thank you. I didn't think anyone would notice. :ok:

46 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

The only ill effect I've ever had playing on an artificial surface is the b****** of a graze you get from making that last ditch tackle.

And whenever I've heard people moan of a sore back or knees / feet its normally because they are wearing blades or similar.

Blades are a definite no no on astro. Always buggers my ankles up.

The guys I know have had injuries previously which were fine on grass but flare back up on astro. They don't wear blades.

Only the newest astro pitches don't cause these problems, in the short term so far.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Funnily enough I don't have that data to hand just now. I'm happy to go on my own experience and that of my team mates who have several hundred years experience of playing on all sorts of surfaces. 

And just to make it clear not all of them are old grumpy buggers like me. They range in age from 16 to 55.

The one thing we have all agreed on over the years is that the impact on your body from astroturf is far greater than on a decent, properly maintained grass pitch. 

A couple of the older guys now won't play on certain surfaces because of the back pain and stiffness in their knees caused by this. A couple of the newer pitches are far better than the others.

I was also reading recently that there is an investigation into the carcinogenic chemicals in the rubber crumb used on these newer pitches. Apparently shredded car tyres are involved and the rubber is toxic if consumed. There's now cases in the states of players contracting Hodgkinsons and they are blaming the rubber on astro pitches. That might be an interesting development that's still to be proved one way or the other. 

Duno about anyone else but I don't spend my time eating bits of rubber when playing football

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Have to say I struggle on 3g pitches mate. Knees and lower back flare up (I've had injuries here in the past). Thats true of any hard surface for me though, I am the same when playing on grass in.the summer months. 

I would add though the pitches I have regularly played, on are a good few years old now. I've played at Falkirk stadium and you notice a huge difference with the quality of the surface. Even compared with the likes of Alloa it's a step up imo. 

Played on an artificial pith at weekend there. Was more like 2g  if such a thing exists. Sore going. 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Duno about anyone else but I don't spend my time eating bits of rubber when playing football

Player involved was a keeper and the study suggests that during your average game a tea spoonful is ingested.

I don't think it was deliberate mind you. :lol:

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Haha! Yeah, here's me looking for actual data or evidence. Everyone knows that you don't need evidence to back up your argument on the Internet! 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Player involved was a keeper and the study suggests that during your average game a tea spoonful is ingested.

I read an article about this, and their stats seemed to show a link to goalkeepers playing on Astro and cancers. Can be ingested, or be trapped in wounds apparently.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644402/Cancer-astroturf-concerns

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I read an article about this, and their stats seemed to show a link to goalkeepers playing on Astro and cancers. Can be ingested, or be trapped in wounds apparently.

That's the one they were discussing on Talk Sport. 

17 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

But there isn't a more satisfying noise in the world than the rubbery twang of catching a mould master just right!!

Or the noise of it hitting someone else's thigh after you've caught it just right! :lol:

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Shouldnt laugh, poor guy.

Just see him sitting spooning it up before the game

4 hours ago, Stu101 said:

They should make them play on blaze. Players these days don't know what they playing on.

Nasty stuff

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

With a Mitre Mould Master?

Nastier stuff

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah they can be hard to get out of cuts after sliding and ripping your knee open.

6 hours ago, theweestevie said:

Yeah they can be hard to get out of cuts after sliding and ripping your knee open.

Use the same technique we had for cleaning your knee up on blaize pitches. Wee nail brush in the shower immediately after the game. Feckin sore but cleans it out. Also leaves a nice war wound type scar.