Daily Heil Hits A New Low? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daily Heil Hits A New Low?

It's a sorry indication of the state of the NHS in Scotland when public servants are being called in to perform surgery.

The decline of the NHS started when the Labour party decided to pay GPs a massive salary and also

free them from out of hours patient care.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not proper? I disagree with politicians from any party holding second jobs. Remember last year when there was a vote in Parliament on it? SNP and Labour stood shoulder to shoulder and voted together only to be defeated by Conservatives propped up by the Lib Dems.

Getting grief for supporting SNP policy... This is a first for me.

1. She doesn't have 2 jobs

2. She done healthcare work, ensuring her skills are kept up to date during HOLIDAY PERIODS FROM HER JOB.

Not every situation is black or white.

This is crazy!

A doctor helps sick and is getting slammed.

It boils down to medicine, is it a profession or a vocation?

Sometimes you have to do the right thing. A doctor, regardless of what they do as a job is always a doctor. That ability and need to help people is part of them.

You don't give up your qualifications when you become an MP/MSP/MEP. They are still called Doctor.

J

1. She doesn't have 2 jobs

2. She done healthcare work, ensuring her skills are kept up to date during HOLIDAY PERIODS FROM HER JOB.

Not every situation is black or white.

She holds a contract with the NHS, it is a second job. Agreed, not always black and white.

In that case she should decide whether she wants to be a surgeon or a politician. I imagine her constituents would agree?

FFS, Politicians work less hours than teachers. They have plenty time to do a couple of extra jobs on the side. :wink2:

The amount of holidays they get is ridiculous. Too many work shy folk about these days

I tend to agree with scunnered on this one. Although it's hardly a major issue and she's only did a weeks work but yeah politicians shouldn't be doing other work, even if it's helping people.

I'm not sure how I managed to get myself so rooted down into the conversation this morning. Taking out Bristol Hibbies romanticisation of the situation, she was paid well for her time after all. It comes down to two questions for me:

1. Do I agree that being a member of parliament is a full time commitment and MP's should not be able to hold second jobs?

Yes, yes I do.

2. Does Dr. Whitford have a contract of employment with the NHS?

Yes, yes she does.

The number of hours she worked and in what field doesn't come into it for me. I support a blanket ban on all MP's holding second jobs.

Edited by Scunnered

I don't support blanket bans on anything.

It smacks of a tyrannical government to go around banning stuff and limiting wealth creators ability to boost the economy.

I think politicians spend far too much time being politicians.

Cut the rate of pay to a minimum, cut the number of hours they spend at Westminster down to 5 a year.

Spend more time in their constituencies help local people who elected them, let them keep their careers to earn.

They can claim back the cost of a return megabus ticket for the day they spend at Westminster and a cheap mobile tariff for sending out emails.

Surely in principal whether she's doing the taxis or "saving lives", it's still a second job.

I can see how an MP having a 2nd job in their own time is ok. It's only a big issue in my eyes if it causes conflicts of interest or if it's impacting the time spent doing MP stuff.

That's just my opinion, but seems to be a lot displaying double standards on this.

I believe that is still correct.

I'm not a bitter man, so no need for you to apologise.

If someone, let's say "Jim Murphy" has a zero hour contract at Tesco and works 5 days in a year... He's still employed, he has a job, such are the wonders of modern Britain. Dr. Whitford has a contract of employment with the NHS, she has a job with the NHS.