Where Did Better Together's Missing 57K Go To? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where Did Better Together's Missing 57K Go To?

Nope. Were unable to confirm currency. Lots of options they said but couldn't confirm.

who said we couldnt use our own Money/

Can you quote anyone who could tell us that? Just the one, anyone... go on......

Go on, you couldnt do it two years ago, I doubt you could now....

who said we couldnt use our own Money/

Can you quote anyone who could tell us that? Just the one, anyone... go on......

Go on, you couldnt do it two years ago, I doubt you could now....

You leave the club. You leave the UK. You leave the currency. You have no control.

You leave the club. You leave the UK. You leave the currency. You have no control.

seriously

Do you really believe that?

How come Ireland used the pound for fifty odd years.

We are not leaving the UK, the UK existed before G.B.

the UK and GB are two different things.

We have no control over our money juSt now.

Alan, posts like this make us realise how little you guys understand about what its all about..

either that, or you on the wind up.

When do the new fiscal powers come into force re The Scotland Act. The sooner the better in my view. The SNP have certainly backed off from second referendum chatter. Understandable in my view. Does anyone have any stats on % revenues expected from Oil related activities and what price per barrel it was based on?

Edited by EddardStark

basically, the currency strategy from the Yes side was to keep the pound as it was the easiest option during transition and it wouldnt scare the uninformed about change.

Now we have the evidence of the campaign, the Yes side should come out telling everyone that a Scottish pound would be our goal within x amount of years.

The idea of change is now there, we know that keeping the pound ad infinitum is going to win votes, the above might bring the 2 or 3% over, slowly , slowly, catchy monkey.

What other mature first world economy would use the currency of a foreign nation today?

Are you suggesting an independent Scotland in its first year would be a mature first world economy? High praise indeed.

Edited by exile

When do the new fiscal powers come into force re The Scotland Act. The sooner the better in my view. The SNP have certainly backed off from second referendum chatter. Understandable in my view. Does anyone have any stats on % revenues expected from Oil related activities and what price per barrel it was based on?

Whatever the merits of the fiscal powers, these are all fleeting issues. In the long term it won't matter what is the exact wording of a Scotland Act, whether the 'referendum chatter' is up or down this month, or the price of oil. It really won't. It doesn't matter which organisation is being fined thousands of pounds for failing to account for expenses. A few dodgy MPs or disgraced Lords is not really going to change the political climate. The determination of those seeking self-determination is not going to disappear due to these kinds of temporary fluctuation. Sooner or later, the political and economic and demographic factors are likely to align and when that happens all these fleeting arguments will crumble.

Now that the genie of aspiration is out the bottle, I think the only thing to challenge that would be a genuinely radical, root and branch reform of the UK and relation between constituent nations - real multinational 'unionism' and not the unitary UK as-is, and not the limp rag of the Scotland Act. I don't think federalism covers it, or devo max. Something more like the European Union, a 'club' of a quite different kind, where Scotland is a 'member state' in a different kind of way from now but more like a member state of the EU, where the country has some international standing but pools and shares some things like defence. So that it would be a Union of nations fit for the 21st century, not the 18th century.

Until or unless unionism addresses that kind of proposition, I think, no amount of chatter about the price of oil is going to change the 'threat of separation'. But the unionist parties seem oblivious to it. But ultimately, they won't be allowed to offer that, because most British MPs are not really unionists, they see only a unitary Britain.

Whatever the merits of the fiscal powers, these are all fleeting issues. In the long term it won't matter what is the exact wording of a Scotland Act, whether the 'referendum chatter' is up or down this month, or the price of oil. It really won't. It doesn't matter which organisation is being fined thousands of pounds for failing to account for expenses. A few dodgy MPs or disgraced Lords is not really going to change the political climate. The determination of those seeking self-determination is not going to disappear due to these kinds of temporary fluctuation. Sooner or later, the political and economic and demographic factors are likely to align and when that happens all these fleeting arguments will crumble.

Now that the genie of aspiration is out the bottle, I think the only thing to challenge that would be a genuinely radical, root and branch reform of the UK and relation between constituent nations - real multinational 'unionism' and not the unitary UK as-is, and not the limp rag of the Scotland Act. I don't think federalism covers it, or devo max. Something more like the European Union, a 'club' of a quite different kind, where Scotland is a 'member state' in a different kind of way from now but more like a member state of the EU, where the country has some international standing but pools and shares some things like defence. So that it would be a Union of nations fit for the 21st century, not the 18th century.

Until or unless unionism addresses that kind of proposition, I think, no amount of chatter about the price of oil is going to change the 'threat of separation'. But the unionist parties seem oblivious to it. But ultimately, they won't be allowed to offer that, because most British MPs are not really unionists, they see only a unitary Britain.

its a start though. I personally see it as a simple issue of economics. If the people believe that we can go it alone then independence will follow. Moving closer to a federal structure will hasten independence.

I personally dont give a monkeys whats happened to Better Together's money its the hypocrisy of the media, not that i'm surprised.

I agree. It's this media hypocrisy which makes it important for folk like us to keep talking about it because they certainly won't.

its a start though. I personally see it as a simple issue of economics. If the people believe that we can go it alone then independence will follow. Moving closer to a federal structure will hasten independence.

What is a 'start though'?

For a federal structure, depends what you mean. As I said, I think anything short of that will not satisfy those who have been awakened to self determination.

It could well be a simple issue of economics for some voters, the question is for what proportion (for some, 'nationalism is evil' and the 'break up of britain' on any terms is to be resisted). But then, it's just a matter of time, until the economics and demographics align.

"Self - determination"

<Elephant in the room>

European Union.

Exactly. It is an elephant in that for some reason 'Unionists' never suggest the EU as a model 'Union' for the UK, which would give even the level of self-determination of the EU.

Imagine if the UK was a true multi-national state, that respected the nationality of its constituent nations, that allowed 'member nations' like Scotland to have their own foreign policy and defence policy, a veto on this and that, etc.

It might even convince some 'nationalists' they could stomach a British Union. But it won't happen because most British MPs are not unionists [as I said earlier...]

Edited by exile