Storm Frank - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Storm Frank

Fife is probably at it best when it's totally flooded.

Probably why the natives have webbed fingers and toes. (Don't tell the wife I said that).

At last the Dighty is dropping fast and we have been able to turn off one of the 3 submersible pumps we have been running. Hopefully no more heavy and/or persistent rain. Am knackered. only been getting an hour or two of sleep a few times since Saturday afternoon. Thanks for the banter/support/PM's. Has been a welcome distraction.

P.S. - 'thecamp' reference above from aaid is because the scheme I am from was used as an army camp during the second world war, if I understand him correctly.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abergeldie Castle. It's stood for 500 years, a real shame. You can see how much has been swept away from the second photo...

ad192049410abergeldie-castl.jpg?w=620&h=

7942794510_890bc5b43b.jpg

Wow that castle is totally ed. That picture alone proves this is at minimum a once every 500 years event. Or it would be if the climate was not changing.

Wow that castle is totally ######ed. That picture alone proves this is at minimum a once every 500 years event. Or it would be if the climate was not changing.

Reports suggest tonight it's out of immediate danger.

No idea how they know that,but the laird was apparently evacuated from it.

Reports suggest tonight it's out of immediate danger.

No idea how they know that,but the laird was apparently evacuated from it.

Mega bucks to fix that problem. The amount of material excavated by the river will be huge. They can shore it up but the whole river has been changed now next big one and it is gone. Now this one has happened I'd expect other floods but maybe of a less extreme nature. I think it can be like earthquakes you get aftershocks in weather too. Complex chaotic systems that are very hard to predict.

bet there is no Scottish names, will we see a Donald or a Gary, A William or a Graeme or a Fiona or a Mhari or Heather or a Morag , or even Welsh names.. bet there is none of them either...

but we have had a desmond, who the phukk knows anyone called Desmond.....

Ffs.....

Interesting to see on News At Ten how Pickering in Yorkshire has avoided floods this time after natural defences were improved in the hills above the town following flooding a few years back.

A relatively cheap solution that may have saved a fortune...

Interesting to see on News At Ten how Pickering in Yorkshire has avoided floods this time after natural defences were improved in the hills above the town following flooding a few years back.

A relatively cheap solution that may have saved a fortune...

aye my dad does large scale landscaping jobs, and he says using natural defences like trees to slow water rate it's easy to make it manageable. Been saying this for years and years.

Edited by phart

Brother's currently shiteing himself offshore - his flat in Grandholm (bridge of don) should be okay tonight as it's on the first floor but his car parked outside might no be!

I would panic too.

The police were driving about there earlier advising people to evacuate the premises.

Had to 999 Tayside Fire brigade at 4pm today. 5 days of pumping water but it just got too much and they saved us as the water rose to within about a foot of our hoose. Crew got called away about 9pm as an emergency, to go to Aberdeen to help efforts up there as they were a trained water rescue unit. New unit turned up 15 minutes later but took their pump off 15 minutes later as our own were able to handle it again as the Dighty dropped. Still on flood watch all night again, but looking good as dry now for next 5 days. Good luck to anyone affected, and if the worst happens, please PM me regarding insurance claim and flood defence as I am unfortunately experienced in this from previous.

Had to 999 Tayside Fire brigade at 4pm today. 5 days of pumping water but it just got too much and they saved us as the water rose to within about a foot of our hoose. Crew got called away about 9pm as an emergency, to go to Aberdeen to help efforts up there as they were a trained water rescue unit. New unit turned up 15 minutes later but took their pump off 15 minutes later as our own were able to handle it again as the Dighty dropped. Still on flood watch all night again, but looking good as dry now for next 5 days. Good luck to anyone affected, and if the worst happens, please PM me regarding insurance claim and flood defence as I am unfortunately experienced in this from previous.

Forecast is improving - hope you manage to hold out. Good luck.