Broken Phone - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When my last phone, Samsung, died 18 months into my contract I bit the bullet paid for early upgrade and went with the crowd with an iPhone. 14 months in and it just went blank last night. Apple tonight said it can't be fixed and it's a logic board issue so go to Carphone warehouse. I have issues with Carphone but I took a deep breath and went in. They can't help and I managed to just nod and walk out without verbally doubting parentage of anyone. Back to Apple who gave me a wee form with problem diagnosis that ends with saying 'fault not caused by customer misuse'.

Anyway after that long piece of boring sheite, I've to email Carphone to see if they'll give me a replacement device. In my heart of heart I know I've f' all chance but thought I'd try but no idea what to write. I want to say I'll go all Michael Douglas from the film where he goes mental but I can't remember name of if and that there's one particular pr**k in Silverburn who's getting it and not in a good way but this may be better as last resort.

Any help with email gratefully received.

I'm not sure if folk realize it but mobile phones are really pushing technology. Competition is fierce. The manufacturers are under pressure to get you the new stuff you crave... reliably.

I wrote a rant here about the fruit company and people who had to work with them, but I decided to delete it.

Sorry I'm being unhelpful :(

If you google the issue you might get some tips from others that have had the same problem

Ive always been a pay as you go man (in more ways than one) and avoided super dooper fancy phones

Have always just stuck to a middle of the road android with fairly good internet access and top up a tenner a month

If you google the issue you might get some tips from others that have had the same problem

Ive always been a pay as you go man (in more ways than one) and avoided super dooper fancy phones

Have always just stuck to a middle of the road android with fairly good internet access and top up a tenner a month

I wholeheartedly agree with this - got a 15 quid a month deal including lots of data with tesco and the phone/android is ample and would only cost 40 quid to replace if fukked - doesn't help OP I know as he'll perhaps have to swallow 10 months remaining on contract while also getting a new phone.

Bottom line is these bits of kit are simply not built to last - know loads of folk stung short of full term on a 2 year contract having to take out a second phone.

I think I'll just go and buy a wee phone tomorrow that this sim will work in and then PAYG from September on.

I'll google but I'm not sure if I can mentally handle a lot of interaction with Carphone warehouse.

Neilser, thank you that is the film and if I do decide to interact with them I may just do it for real and not warn them.

Grim Jim, I only crave a phone that works for length of my contract.

If your mobile phone is part of your contract, your claim would be against your mobile phone service provider and you may be entitled to a free repair or replacement as part of your contract.

Its worth checking your mobile operators terms and conditions to see what youre entitled to.

(Above from Which)

I got phone from Carphone warehouse. Monthly contract is with O2. So do I write O2 or CpW? Apple workers are nice but "nothing to do with us' script.

Edited by G-Man

When my last phone, Samsung, died 18 months into my contract I bit the bullet paid for early upgrade

Do Samsung not offer a 24 month warranty?

I'd also look into insurance. My policy that I have through my bank covers for out of warranty repairs too.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

I bought an imac for home use a few years ago. Within 3 years the hard drive and the monitor had started to fail. I had to pay for a new HD (did not replace it with an apple one as it was a rip off) but they replaced the screen for free as it was under 3 years old just. When it came back from the service shop the DVD player was broken.... Very over rated kit. And their software outside of their O/S is just shite IMHO.

Surprised given it is not that old that Apple are refusing to take any responsibility, they made and sold the thing so how can they just wash their hands of their phone being a faulty piece of crap.

I lost my new iPhone 6s (8 weeks in to a 2 year contract) on Christmas Day. Well I say lost, a taxi driver has stolen it (on Christmas Day!!) although unfortunately I can't prove that. As I'm just in to the contract EE want to charge me £600 for a like for like replacement (no insurance) and it's not covered under my contents insurance as I didn't list it as a "specified item" when taking out the policy. As I traded in my old phone I'm stuck with a 5 year old replacement my mate has leant me which looks like it was on it's last legs about 2 years ago. Needless to say I won't be using that taxi company again!

It's best to buy a phone and take out of sim only contract then the phone is covered by the Consumer Rights Act (2015) and getting redress if something goes wrong is quite simple. However a contract phone is still covered under the Supply of Goods and Services Act) and there's some guidance

here and here, you should be able to get something just stick at it and quote the legislation.