Santas Ripping The Colin Nish This Year - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Santas Ripping The Colin Nish This Year

There's something that doesn't sit right for me with dismissing someones opinion merely because they don't have kids... Saying that, I'm a miserable ###### who doesn't like kids, apart from my own and close friends and families.

Nah feck that,I feckin hate weans and I have one myself but what a feckin miserable feckin coming on here trying to make folk feel bad because they bought their weans something for Christmas.

Her argument is feckin nonsense as well trying to say to make out if you buy your wean something you can't do other things with your wean. OFF

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to posting pictures of said weans on a Scottish Football messageboard (possibly for some sort of vailidation) i disagree

Each to their own though

Sorry if I've misunderstood Ally but if you mean posting pictures of children due to some paedophile issue is wrong this infuriates me. I hate the implication nowadays that we can't have photos of children as all men are a risk to children. Years ago there was a case of a man asked to move seats by BA as he had been seated beside an unaccompanied child. He refused as he felt they were implying he may be a threat to the child and they removed him from the plane. He brought a case against them then it all disappeared and I imagine they settled out of court. It's bad enough that it seems all men are all treated as threats but I feel it's crossing over to women now too.

If you meant something totally different, for example the fact that a certain poster didn't leave Santa out a wee nip and no mince pies for a magic man who travels the world in a single night then apologies.

I love Christmas, the songs, the gift giving and receiving. I love watching children dancing with sheer excitement of it all, especially when I was walking grumpily through a shopping centre and a wee tot dressed as an elf danced out in front of me and made me stop being a grinchy old sod. I'm at the stage where my friends are having children and choosing their gifts and watching their faces as they unwrap them is, to me at least, priceless. The same feeling as when I took my friends daughter to see her first waterfall and she stood open mouthed with amazement.

I've watched Arthur Christmas, The Grinch who Stole Christmas and about to watch yesterday's Doctor Who. I've tanked half bottle of Baileys, packet of whiskey and rum truffles, some crisps and homemade mince pies with brandy cream and a wee glass of Laphroig so as well as being a fat greedy merry bam I'm also very emotional. Tomorrow children walking in front of me will probably get a sneaky wee kick.

Each to their own though, love it or hate it is every persons own choice. Lamia's married to a man who doesn't like Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive and for that reason I will defend her over anything. Ohhh Kir Royale suitably chilled, cheerio.

I don't know what happened, is the clock wrong? It looks like it took me an hour to type that out.

Edited by G-Man

Sorry if I've misunderstood Ally but if you mean posting pictures of children due to some paedophile issue is wrong this infuriates me. I hate the implication nowadays that we can't have photos of children as all men are a risk to children. Years ago there was a case of a man asked to move seats by BA as he had been seated beside an unaccompanied child. He refused as he felt they were implying he may be a threat to the child and they removed him from the plane. He brought a case against them then it all disappeared and I imagine they settled out of court. It's bad enough that it seems all men are all treated as threats but I feel it's crossing over to women now too.

If you meant something totally different, for example the fact that a certain poster didn't leave Santa out a wee nip and no mince pies for a magic man who travels the world in a single night then apologies.

I love Christmas, the songs, the gift giving and receiving. I love watching children dancing with sheer excitement of it all, especially when I was walking grumpily through a shopping centre and a wee tot dressed as an elf danced out in front of me and made me stop being a grinchy old sod. I'm at the stage where my friends are having children and choosing their gifts and watching their faces as they unwrap them is, to me at least, priceless. The same feeling as when I took my friends daughter to see her first waterfall and she stood open mouthed with amazement.

I've watched Arthur Christmas, The Grinch who Stole Christmas and about to watch yesterday's Doctor Who. I've tanked half bottle of Baileys, packet of whiskey and rum truffles, some crisps and homemade mince pies with brandy cream and a wee glass of Laphroig so as well as being a fat greedy merry bam I'm also very emotional. Tomorrow children walking in front of me will probably get a sneaky wee kick.

Each to their own though, love it or hate it is every persons own choice. Lamia's married to a man who doesn't like Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive and for that reason I will defend her over anything. Ohhh Kir Royale suitably chilled, cheerio.

I don't know what happened, is the clock wrong? It looks like it took me an hour to type that out.

I think that if you hate Christmas you are doing it wrong. Great food, token gifts that have some meaning and spending time with family and friends. Not sure what there is 'hate'.

You kind of avoided the question when someone asked if you have kids. Clearly you don't so you can't really relate to it.

To be honest it is the other way around. When people have kids they often lose perspective. I have seen so many parents utterly spoil their kids to the extent that they still support them into their 20's and 30's and to such an extent that I doubt they would know how to survive by themselves - goodness knows how they will when they have too.

I have just been listening to parents saying how much they have been spending and how their kids want so much stuff and it is unbelievable. These parents are incapable of saying no and just buy all of the stuff regardless. What life lessons are they teaching their kids. I think the love that parents feel often clouds their judgement. I am not saying all parents are like this and all presents are bad but from what I have been witnessing a significant amount of it is.

It's because people who don't have kids can't really relate to having them, as much as they think they can. And therefore can't really be saying what kids should be doing or how parents should feel on Christmas day.

Most people who do have kids will admit themselves that it's completely different after you have kids. I, like many had opinions on Christmas and children etc. And even though I work with kids as young as 5 everyday it's totally different having your own.

Like I said before when/if Lamia has kids I'm pretty sure when they're about 3 they won't be saying Christmas is shit. Presents are shit. Go and take joy from nature.

I am not saying parents don't feel these things I am sure they do and maybe I would feel like that too so maybe it is just as well I don't have kids because I really wouldn't want to end up feeling like the many parents I have seen stressing over all the shit their kids want and is going to cost them a fortune to buy. So how parents feel and whether I can or cannot relate to it doesn't change the point I am making.

I am not saying parents don't feel these things I am sure they do and maybe I would feel like that too so maybe it is just as well I don't have kids because I really wouldn't want to end up feeling like the many parents I have seen stressing over all the shit their kids want and is going to cost them a fortune to buy. So how parents feel and whether I can or cannot relate to it doesn't change the point I am making.

My local barmaid comes across as one of the best parents ever. She absolutely dotes on her children. She told me that for every Christmas she buys gifts for them that educate them. Stuff that they find fun too obviously. Like good books, educational board games, etc. :ok:

My local barmaid comes across as one of the best parents ever. She absolutely dotes on her children. She told me that for every Christmas she buys gifts for them that educate them. Stuff that they find fun too obviously. Like good books, educational board games, etc. :ok:

As I said this is a blanket all presents are bad and all parents go OTT :ok: which is why I find the level of defensiveness by some a bit odd.

Just back from another day out at my sisters this time,more toys for the kids and he is currently sitting poking jelly sweets onto cocktail sticks and making jelly kebabs with them.

The wrestling ring hasn't even been looked at yet,he's happy just doing anything that amuses him.

I had 3 christmas days this year ha ha :ok: 1 when i was down visiting the grandchildren in englandshire on DEC 21st.The 2nd was on CHRISTMAS DAY itself when up in kinloss visiting my youngest laddie and BOXING DAY when we got back where we opened our own presents.The dog got more presents than me and he didnt even bother picking up his wrapping paper either :angry:

I honestly don't know any parents that Stress about buying kids Christmas presents. I love seeing my kids getting excited at Christmas, I did when I was young.

I honestly don't know any parents that Stress about buying kids Christmas presents. I love seeing my kids getting excited at Christmas, I did when I was young.

Well I met loads so they exist. I also see the after effects when people can't afford to pay their rent as a result. People laugh when at the days kids were happy to get an orange and parents weren't under pressure to show how much they care with how much they spent but they were more genuine times.

Edited by Lamia

Well I met loads so they exist. I also see the after effects when people can't afford to pay their rent as a result. People laugh when at the days kids were happy to get an orange and parents weren't under pressure to show how much they care with how much they spent but they were more genuine times.

A very small minority will exist, but I don't know any. We have all moved on from days of Oranges and Apples. Let the kids enjoy Xmas and we can enjoy our football :ok:

I think that lamia thinks that all patents are like those overly concerned, competitive, indulgent ones you get in the middle classes and north America. You know the ones who buy lavish gifts and top brands for young kids when they neither need it or want it

I can't say for anyone else but I know my reality is somewhat different.

I think that lamia thinks that all patents are like those overly concerned, competitive, indulgent ones you get in the middle classes and north America. You know the ones who buy lavish gifts and top brands for young kids when they neither need it or want it

I can't say for anyone else but I know my reality is somewhat different.

I'm 32 and still get Christmas presents that I don't want or need. It's great for kids but otherwise it's a load of shite :D

So is it possible that it's just your pals that are bad parents/idiots rather than people who "take joy from their kids being excited" in general?

Same.

Was brilliant as a kid. Although not sure what it says about us a society when you can't sleep because of an Amiga 600 wrapped up under a tree :lol:

I got a spectrum not an amiga. I also think i'm one of the least materialistic people about.

Bit of a different argument is it not Lamia? Putting gifts before paying rent is plain idiotic. Anyone doing that just to keep the Bairns happy at XMAS needs their head read imo.

Christmas has always been a big thing in my house. We weren't well off when I was young, but I was still lucky enough to receive very generous gifts. That, though, is only a small part of it. My wee yin was given a ridiculous amount this year by friends and relatives , although the vast majority are the sensory/learning type toys, it was still too much. Some of these will go to the local community groups ( as we did with birthday gifts) and as she gets older she will get involved with actually choosing what she want to hand in, and be educated why we are doing it. it's something I did when I was a nipper so it will be passed on to her. What really excited her though, was the amount of people that came to visit and tbh that's exactly what christmas is about for me. it's a time of year when people do have that wee bit extra time and therfore have more time to see each other. Presents will inevitably change hands. Im as guilty as anyone for spending too much on people, but you know whit? They all deserve it and I know it's appreciated.

Anyway been.Reading this thread with interest so here's my two pence worth.

I think your argument/point is going in the right direction and is probably well meaning but you have maybe put it across the wrong way? You are right, throwing ridiculous gifts at a bairn won't teach them anything, but then I dont think any parent on here would claim to use One singular day as a tool to teach their kids about the value of things. Similarly though I don't believe buying a wean an xbox is going to damage them, it's what you do every single day that will shape their upbringing. That's the reason I asked if you had Bairns by the way, not because I think you aren't allowed an opinion on.the subject.

There is nothing wrong with taking joy in seeing your kids light up at being given a gift imo, it's what you teach them, about the meaning of giving and receiving gifts that really counts. And of course that's only a very small part of raising a child, and hopefully guiding them down ( what you perceive to be) the right path.

A very small minority will exist, but I don't know any. We have all moved on from days of Oranges and Apples. Let the kids enjoy Xmas and we can enjoy our football :ok:

Sorry to break it to you but it is far from being a small minority and yes sadly we have moved on from oranges as I said more's the pity.

So is it possible that it's just your pals that are bad parents/idiots rather than people who "take joy from their kids being excited" in general?

I am talking about a wide range of people I come across in my life not really pals and they are just ordinary parents.