Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

Caspers! Got to be most random post yet. I have experienced Babylon and The Works in Kirky. The Works was renamed "Go" with locals quickly renaming it "Square Go" .

One T in Scotland has informed me that Casper's has been replaced by flats. I never had the pleasure of visiting Babylon or The Works.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I would have had you down as more of a Monday Club kind of guy.

Don't know what that means. Maybe a club from the 1980's you were rocking before investment banking and commuterville. I missed those peak years.

The back of a pub. Couldn't tell you name. 18th bday party circa 96/97. Shared toilets between club and old mans pub so youth of Millport could check in with their Dads during night.

Unless it was another era name for Typically Tropical which was the "club" part adjoined to the Newton Bar. Had a big cheesy mural of a Caribbean beach scene on one wall. Classy as it was. Cannae think of anything else in Millport which could be remotely regarded as a club.

Edited by Marky

One T in Scotland has informed me that Casper's has been replaced by flats. I never had the pleasure of visiting Babylon or The Works.

Babylon is now called Tantra. Not sure if it still has the barrier outside, which was put in place after someone ram raided it some years ago.

Didn't some pretty big chart acts from round about 1980 play Flicks during its very small life span? Remember my aunt told me some of the bands and acts she saw in there.

Saw The Truth there think that was the night it burnt doon

Used to be buses from Ayrshire that would do trips to the Hamilton Palace (seem to recall once a month from Saltcoats train station there would be a bus that would take you through and back for that.)

That's a blast from that past! When used to go out in Glasgow with mates there was one guy who would always pull a right huffy if we did not go there.

Big Country apparently played it also

Cannae mind Big Country playing flicks but think they played The Regal in Saltcoats

What about the Anchorage in Troon, opened for dancing at Lunchtime on a Sunday.... ;-)

I won a 12 inch single- papa's got a brand new bag. It was a dance off one afternoon in the anchorage. Back to Irvine and ended up pumpin one of the barmaids in the Argyle, the cow still has my single and my snooker cue!

I won a 12 inch single- papa's got a brand new bag. It was a dance off one afternoon in the anchorage. Back to Irvine and ended up pumpin one of the barmaids in the Argyle, the cow still has my single and my snooker cue!

big louise?

I know who's got it. :ok:

Go on let the cat out the bag. Got a few ideas who involved but not sure

Wellington Bar also :-)) think I drank in it once before it closed.

Tried the Kilbride Tavern and Kings after the Galleon closed, and when the Inverclyde/Merrik became a dump (tried to clean its act up as a "respectable" restaurant rather than the town bar) but never the same.

Preferred Fids to Metro (but that was down to going to Largs Academy, so was a case of mates sticking to their patch), but grew out of it by 21'ish, and not been back in years (brother always went and kept asking him if the dodgy 50-something drug dealer from Kilbirnie who hung around it all the time was still there.....which to my surprise he was!)

Aye he kept trying to get rid of us (cheesy, shad, del etc) but only managed it once he shut lol think he even hated the likes of euoni (think that's how you spell it) and then he wonders why he went bust lol.

If the dodgy guy is who I think it is then he was there when I was going. Was not to bad as I got to know him due to cheesy. Saved my neck a few times when folk found out I was friendly with him if you know what I mean lol

Aye he kept trying to get rid of us (cheesy, shad, del etc) but only managed it once he shut lol think he even hated the likes of euoni (think that's how you spell it) and then he wonders why he went bust lol.

If the dodgy guy is who I think it is then he was there when I was going. Was not to bad as I got to know him due to cheesy. Saved my neck a few times when folk found out I was friendly with him if you know what I mean lol

Did he not make a wee side room bar for all that crowd that was just a empty room with a couple of chairs and a small bar area so they were not in the main bar area (which he always thought could go toe to toe with the Hyrdo) ?

Dodgy guy always looked like he was auditioning for the part of Tommi Lommi in a poor Black Sabbath tribute act (hanging around in a night club in a black leather coat and and sunglasses). Remember a mate had enough of him one night after a few beers and said he was going to sort him out :-))

Did he not make a wee side room bar for all that crowd that was just a empty room with a couple of chairs and a small bar area so they were not in the main bar area (which he always thought could go toe to toe with the Hyrdo) ?

Dodgy guy always looked like he was auditioning for the part of Tommi Lommi in a poor Black Sabbath tribute act (hanging around in a night club in a black leather coat and and sunglasses). Remember a mate had enough of him one night after a few beers and said he was going to sort him out :-))

Sort of he started by keeping the bar there but after a while made it into a bistro type place. What he couldn't get was it was us who spent plenty of money there and the older ones who would only drink a couple of drinks through the whole night.

Na different guy unless he changed his fasion

Paisley Pubs

Pillars

Carnegie's

The Travellers Rest

Club Bar (upstairs lounge)

Joe Allens

Factor and Firkin

Ferriers (got served in there aged 16)

Pat's Bar/Cellar Bar

Bruce Arms

Make For The Border

Clubs

The Clubhouse

The Institute (old Half Time School for the Paisley eldsters)

Network/Garage/Area (whichever it was calling itself in those days)

Mannequins

Paisley Pubs

Pillars

Carnegie's

The Travellers Rest

Club Bar (upstairs lounge)

Joe Allens

Factor and Firkin

Ferriers (got served in there aged 16)

Pat's Bar/Cellar Bar

Bruce Arms

Make For The Border

Clubs

The Clubhouse

The Institute (old Half Time School for the Paisley eldsters)

Network/Garage/Area (whichever it was calling itself in those days)

Mannequins

You must be a lot younger than me KoP. Other than the bolded ones I don't know any of those. Feel like I should know The Bruce Arms but can't place it. As I said I do know where Mannequins was, but was never in it.

Cellar Bar was the first pub I ever bought a drink in. Saturday afternoon before heading up to Parkhead for a Buds v Aberdeen Scottish Cup semi final. 1982. 16 years old. Round = 3 half pints of heavy for me and my equally under age mates.

Aberdeen equalised late on in a 1-1 draw and then beat us 3-2 in the replay at Dens. Gutted.

Cellar Bar was the first pub I ever bought a drink in. Saturday afternoon before heading up to Parkhead for a Buds v Aberdeen Scottish Cup semi final. 1982. 16 years old. Round = 3 half pints of heavy for me and my equally under age mates.

Aberdeen equalised late on in a 1-1 draw and then beat us 3-2 in the replay at Dens. Gutted.

I was at that replay - my first ever away game, aged 15. Was a dreich night but a pivotal result for Aberdeen - if we hadn't won through there'd have been no 4-1 victory over Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final nor the victorious Cup Winners Cup campaign either. Edited by neilser

I was at that replay - my first ever away game, aged 15. Was a dreich night but a pivotal result for Aberdeen - if we hadn't won through there'd have been no 4-1 victory over Rangers in the Scottish Cup Final nor the victorious Cup Winners Cup campaign either.

Still have nightmares about your winning goal that night. Powder puff shot right through Billy Thomson's legs.

Think from memory it was Peter Weir as well which made it even harder to take.