Team On Sunday - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team On Sunday

Parklife

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he is fit then Forrest should play. I have slagged him rotten having seen him do absolutely hee haw for Scotland (and never watched Celtic as I have no interest) but I thought he looked really good on Thursday so would like to see him play again. If he can play like that every game then it will be like having a new player (or having 11 players as he had previously been as good as a man down).

Otherwise would be good to see some of the squad players getting a cap and a decent chance of a goal.

Seconded. Forrest impressed me and looked a threat. I would also play Russell from the start. Why not finish the campaign with intent for the future? A 2 or 3 goal victory won't be enough, lets go for a thumping 6 or 7. In Rhodes and Griffiths absence I would continue with Fletcher and try and continue his scoring run. Remember Sunderland have Newcastle in the league shortly, so he could go on a scoring run for club and country (I say that as a Newcastle supporter, so no club football comfort for me either!).

Excellent post norsefox.

We need to look to bringing in the next generation now as a large swathe of our squad nears the end of their international career. If not we run the risk of the Craig Brown aftermath - of playing players well past their best and stinting the growth of youngsters.

Seriously, remind me of the promising youngsters whose growth Craig Brown stinted? He played the ones that were good enough, the reality was there wasnt enough that were good enough.

Seriously, remind me of the promising youngsters whose growth Craig Brown stinted? He played the ones that were good enough, the reality was there wasnt enough that were good enough.

Gareth Williams and Robbie Stockdale (apparently Sunderland caretaker manager just now!)

Gareth Williams and Robbie Stockdale (apparently Sunderland caretaker manager just now!)

They were both capped by Vogts and they were both rubbish.

When Vogts took over from Brown, it's true that a load of players had come to the end of their international careers and there was very little quality coming through. It's a myth though that this was some form of deliberate policy from Brown. He was trying to qualify for tournaments and had to out the best team on the park to do that. I don't recall any massive calls for us to write off 2000 or 2002 so we could focus on building a team for the future.

If you want to look for one thing that stifled young players at this time, it was the Bosman ruling in 1995. Two impacts here, firstly *all* SPL clubs started getting in more experienced European players at the expense of developing their own talent

. Secondly, a lot of lpromising young made very ill advised moves abroad or to England which either killed completely or stalled their careers.

Scotland Team:-

McGregor, Hutton, Greer, Berra, Robertson, Brown, Dorrans, Ritchie, Maloney, S.Fletcher, C.Martin.

Well there's four youngsters in the team, all the rest are over 30. In fact only Robertson's under 25. Not exactly sure this is looking to the future but hopefully the likes of Russell and Shinnie will get on later in the game.

Hard to see who could have played instead of Hutton.

Cove Sheep. Anyone. Pick a guy out the crowd. Well still win, and it makes no difference anyway.

Disappointing from Strachan, this was the perfect chance to give youngsters and fringe players some international experience, yet he's chosen the same tired old team that failed.