Players Who Did Get Enough Caps - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players Who Did Get Enough Caps

CovGer

McCoist was fit

I think it was Gary McAllister that he was rooming with.

Everyone expected McCoist to be the first name on the team sheet and when Roxburgh called a team meeting and named the squad they went back to their rooms

McAllister hadnt been selected and McCoist threw him a crossword puzzle book saying he would need it

McAllister then realised McCoist did not know he hadnt been picked either

At the team meeting Roxburgh had said "Mo and Nally up front"

McCoist had wrongly heard "Mo and Ally"

McAllister threw him the puzzle book back and said he would need himself

McCoist then realized and was gutted

I'm almost certain that was the difference between us progressing

Only an idiot or a Scot would have broken up the strike force that had got us there. A definite Levein moment where Roxburgh thought he was a better coach than he actually was

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yeah forgetting this was a little before Fergie arrived. Not sure what Big Ron would've made of him to be fair but it would surely have still been better than simply chasing the bright lights. If he'd gone there and was still there when Ferguson arrived he'd have come much closer to fulfilling his potential.

Alternatively, in those days then as you rightly say Liverpool may well have been a good option also. Possibly better than United given the circumstances at the time.

Either way Arsenal was a massive error both due to the London factor and the fact that their playing style could not have been a worse fit for his.

Was listening to Graham Hunters podcast interview with Charlie Nicholas last night, and he went into surprising detail about his Arsenal move.

Man United was his preferred choice, but one meeting with Ron Atkinson put him off for life..... said went for a dinner with Aktinson and Edwards (United Chairman) and throughout the meal Aktkinson only talked about Ron Aktinson, and he could not work with someone like that.

Souness, Kenny and Hansen tried to badger him in to going to Liverpool, with Kenny going as far as saying "You will fit straight in here, and you will be my replacement!".... which Charlie said no thanks, as he knew Kenny had 3/4 years still in him, and he was not going to Liverpool to sit on the bench like so many other players who were told that they were the next Souness or Dalglish were doing.

There was a offer from Inter Milan, but at 21 years old he did not feel mature enough to go straight from the streets of Glasgow, to living in Italy, and actually viewed it as being young enough that he could look at that option in 2/3 years.

Arsenal it was not a case of the bright lights of London attracting him..... said that first year was the lowest he had ever been as he didn't settle (had no driving license so would travel by tube and bus) and for the first year he lived with a mate from Glasgow who came down to keep him company, and then his sister.

The whole Champagne Charlie thing of hanging out with Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet did not come until later when he started getting invite after invite to parties.

Says Arsenal sold him the vision that it would take them 25 years to achieve almost under Wenger.... when he signed he was told that Liam Brady would be brought back to the club and Ray Wilkins was going to be signed as the final piece of the jigsaw.

Really good interview (shame his time at Aberdeen was saved for the last 4 minutes, and surprisingly he is one of the few Aberdeen players from that period with good things to say about Ian Porterfield.... Brian Irvine probably the only other one) and should check out the rest (his Darren Fletcher interview is suppose to be brilliant)

Was listening to Graham Hunters podcast interview with Charlie Nicholas last night, and he went into surprising detail about his Arsenal move.

Man United was his preferred choice, but one meeting with Ron Atkinson put him off for life..... said went for a dinner with Aktinson and Edwards (United Chairman) and throughout the meal Aktkinson only talked about Ron Aktinson, and he could not work with someone like that.

Souness, Kenny and Hansen tried to badger him in to going to Liverpool, with Kenny going as far as saying "You will fit straight in here, and you will be my replacement!".... which Charlie said no thanks, as he knew Kenny had 3/4 years still in him, and he was not going to Liverpool to sit on the bench like so many other players who were told that they were the next Souness or Dalglish were doing.

There was a offer from Inter Milan, but at 21 years old he did not feel mature enough to go straight from the streets of Glasgow, to living in Italy, and actually viewed it as being young enough that he could look at that option in 2/3 years.

Arsenal it was not a case of the bright lights of London attracting him..... said that first year was the lowest he had ever been as he didn't settle (had no driving license so would travel by tube and bus) and for the first year he lived with a mate from Glasgow who came down to keep him company, and then his sister.

The whole Champagne Charlie thing of hanging out with Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet did not come until later when he started getting invite after invite to parties.

Says Arsenal sold him the vision that it would take them 25 years to achieve almost under Wenger.... when he signed he was told that Liam Brady would be brought back to the club and Ray Wilkins was going to be signed as the final piece of the jigsaw.

Really good interview (shame his time at Aberdeen was saved for the last 4 minutes, and surprisingly he is one of the few Aberdeen players from that period with good things to say about Ian Porterfield.... Brian Irvine probably the only other one) and should check out the rest (his Darren Fletcher interview is suppose to be brilliant)

Will have a listen - thanks for posting :ok:

Aye a very interesting insight ?

just listened to that tonight , thanks was really good

yeah bit irritating the time spent on the spanish wankfest is monumental compared to his spell at the Dons

- i can understand if he played there

sounds quite a classy guy though ; i well remember him scoring his pen in the shootout at cup final in 90 and just running off ; professional enough, as he could have missed it

my mate reckons his shot on goal though during the game, gave paul elliot to head clear off the line, when he could have hit it low

he mentioned "fabric" a lot in the interview for some reason

just listened to that tonight , thanks was really good

yeah bit irritating the time spent on the spanish wankfest is monumental compared to his spell at the Dons

- i can understand if he played there

sounds quite a classy guy though ; i well remember him scoring his pen in the shootout at cup final in 90 and just running off ; professional enough, as he could have missed it

my mate reckons his shot on goal though during the game, gave paul elliot to head clear off the line, when he could have hit it low

he mentioned "fabric" a lot in the interview for some reason

No problem :ok: was listening to the Gordon Strachan one last night (not as good, but still enjoyable).

Yeah, his shot in the 1990 SC final is the only clear cut chance I recall in a pretty boring final.

Good on him to be professional enough when it came to his penalty, as he could have effectively won the cup for Celtic and got them a place in the ECWC for when he joined them later that summer.

The whole full of praise for Gillhaus was surprising, as they were only a partnership for just a few month, and would not say it resurrected his career, as I do not recall him really doing much with Celtic when he went back (though I think he had one good season in the 4/5 years on his return)

No problem :ok: was listening to the Gordon Strachan one last night (not as good, but still enjoyable).

Yeah, his shot in the 1990 SC final is the only clear cut chance I recall in a pretty boring final.

Good on him to be professional enough when it came to his penalty, as he could have effectively won the cup for Celtic and got them a place in the ECWC for when he joined them later that summer.

The whole full of praise for Gillhaus was surprising, as they were only a partnership for just a few month, and would not say it resurrected his career, as I do not recall him really doing much with Celtic when he went back (though I think he had one good season in the 4/5 years on his return)

Got half way thru Darren fletcher one after

Didn't get into it as much tbh

Guess my interest in fitba waned by early - mid 90s so less relevant

I was a 2-2 cup game in south stand v Celtic where Nicholas scored the volley

- think it was that game...

Mason was a great part of the side with Nic and Hans but often overlooked / forgotten about

Nicholas completely underachieved after he left Celtic for Arsenal.

Eric Black was Crocker by the time he left for Metz, Weir was a good club player but no better than that to be fair.

McAvennie was a fairly late developer then arsed it up himself.

Harsh on Weir who destroyed teams in the Cup Winners Cup run and in the Super Cup final. Cooper kept him out the team at the time I suppose, but he probably should have been in the squad.

Harsh on Weir who destroyed teams in the Cup Winners Cup run and in the Super Cup final. Cooper kept him out the team at the time I suppose, but he probably should have been in the squad.

Cooper's caps in the main came in the second half of the 80s not the first.

Andy Weir the Motherwell left winger was a fantastic player, but was overlooked so often because he played for a wee team. Davy Wilson (the original diver) was selected many times more than Andy even although the Motherwell man was far superior.

Looked up the records and he had six caps between 1980 and 1983 and I honestly don't remember him doing anything of note.

Of course, the interesting thing was that Ferguson was Stein's assistant manager after that which would tend to suggest he wasn't overlooked.

He along with half the Dons team didn't do well away to n Ireland 83

Mind that game, Peter Weir was being bigged up prior to it and had a stinker...

Edit... now I check back it was actually another game I'm thinking about in Belfast in 1980, when Weir was still at St Mirren.

Edited by Toepoke