Big Thanks To Tamb - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Big Thanks To Tamb

frankfurt74

Ive weeks/months to go due to cancer, and was thinking about how much info, travel stuff and especially humour Ive had from here. I was here right near its inception, not posted much and had a few users names due to doziness. I did once manage to organise a fans game in Dortmund 2003 purely through the board.

So im taking the opportunity to say big thanks to all you mysterious guys behind the scenes, i certainly appreciate your efforts.

id kinda hoped that in my dotage Id be able to bore grandkids and any passers by with the fact I was lucky to have been at 4 Scotland v Brazil games in 4 World cup finals, seems unbelievable now.

I wonder if there are many other veteran TA managed all 4?

When we qualify next, make sure you go, best holidays ever.

Cheers

Keith

Ive weeks/months to go due to cancer, and was thinking about how much info, travel stuff and especially humour Ive had from here. I was here right near its inception, not posted much and had a few users names due to doziness. I did once manage to organise a fans game in Dortmund 2003 purely through the board.

So im taking the opportunity to say big thanks to all you mysterious guys behind the scenes, i certainly appreciate your efforts.

id kinda hoped that in my dotage Id be able to bore grandkids and any passers by with the fact I was lucky to have been at 4 Scotland v Brazil games in 4 World cup finals, seems unbelievable now.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry to hear about your ill health. Puts football into perspective.

I was also at Dortmund in 2003, if my memory serves me right there was glorious sunshine the day before.

But on matchday there was a massive storm and we locked ourselves in a pub to stay dry.

Thanks for your words of wisdom re qualification, I agree its a chance in a lifetime and should be grabbed with both hands.

:ok:

Even though I don't know you (what were your previous names as many people here will no doubt remember you from Dortmund alone), I'm still at a loss for words what to say but well done for posting and sharing those memories and thoughts.

I've always missed out on going to tournaments with Scotland but hoped to go to this one if we qualify.

Your post has made me all the more determined to fulfil that ambition.

Take Care,

Peter

Im sorry to hear your news and as others have said hope you dont suffer greatly!

Dortmund 2003 was my first Tartan Army away trip and has remained my absolute favourite yet due to the immense excitement and unexpectedness of a first trip. Your record is very impressive and I would love to be able to say to future grandchildren Is done the same!

Really sorry to hear about your illness mate.don't know how people manage to cope with news like that. Hope the time you have left can still bring some enjoyment to you and you don't suffer too much.At least hope you got a decent innings.and that you see us qualify one last time. My thoughts are with you.

Cheers

Keith

So sorry to hear that keith and concur with others

I,m another whos been here since near its inception and a veteran TA toboot but only managed to be at 3 Scotland v Brazil games in 3 WC,s

Pretty sure our paths will have crossed

Respect bud

Edited by Langtonian

Fair play for taking the time to thank the folk that make things work on this board. I guess your situation gives you the kind of perspective that stops you taking things for granted.

I hope that you find strenth and peace in the time ahead. I reckon there will be people that love you all around you who will not just give you strength but will take strength from the kind of guy you clearly are.

I'll mind and raise a glass for you the next time we play Brazil in a finals.

Really sorry to hear that, Keith. Nice to think that you're reflecting on all the good times. It's great that you've made all these memories following your team around the world - think that's what anyone on here would want, to be able to look back later in life and reflect and laugh at all the mad adventures and painful defeats.

Take care mate.

We are all here for a relatively short time, Keith. The best thing we can try to do is fill out lives with as many positive memories as possible, seems like you have managed that in spadefuls! Following your country around the world, meeting numerous like minded folk and having a ball.........brilliant!

Hope things go as well as they can for you in the coming months, all the very best, mate. :)

Jim

Every one of us reading your thread will be greatly moved and hope you are as comfortable as you possibly can be, Keith. That is an amazing record for seeing Scotland in WCs and it is great that you are reflecting on those positive experiences. I was about to head over to France 98 after my studies finished when I was offered a job as a researcher for the SNP. I gladly accepted meaning I couldn't go but,given we regularly qualified for WCs/ECs then I thought I'd just go to the next major tournament and the one after that. I'm now 40 and have been to about 20 away games without ever seeing us play at a major tournament. If I ever do make it, I shall toast you, Keith. Peace and love, brother.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. Reflecting on the great times in my past brings back memories of places and mostly people. The attitude and sense of fun of the vast majority of TA I've met has been great. Having been a drunken arse at Wembley in the 70s, the transformation in the TA fills me with pride in us fans and I think it has done so much for our country, despite all the miserable critics. Cheers Keith

I was too young at 16 to go to Germany i however lived outside Frankfurt, Darmastadt for 2 years 78-80 & went to most eintracht games & always cast my mind back to the Scots fans walking to the game that day we should have beaten Brazil. I heard about a Scot who stayed & had a pub in the city but never met him. Outside Wembley for many of us the 1st foreign trip was to Prague in 76 & sporadic trips abroad saw the Tartan Army change, grow & mature into the magnificent support we have, whilst remaining proudly immature by the way.

I did an obit on an Andrew Gibson in the Herald, a guy who was in Spain, Wembley & Bergen in 63 , Brusselles inn61 for the play off never mind Florence for the Gers Cup Winners Cup final in 62 & prague for the Celts semi final draw in 67.

The kids today jump on Ryan Air or Easy jet, Wembleys in the 60s never mind earlier were a trek & a half.

I can be in a queue in tesco in Ayr & chat to the assistant , mention French Bread & we are suddenly marching from the eifel Tower. So many memories watching Scotland, the glory. Plus the stramashes. In the end it is the team & the fans, we are world class whilst the team is.........!

Arra best

Hamish

Sorry to hear about this. Really hope things go as well as they possibly can for you.

2003 was my first away game and I have never looked back. So many great memories. Which at the end of the day is all we take with us in the end. Off to Georgia next week for some more life experiences.

J

Nothing anyone can say or do really makes much of a difference Keith my man and i share everyone's sentiments.

One thing though is that it is never over until the fat lady sings so make sure you encourage several encores by the main act before chubby is allowed on because going on my past form i'll end up going home with her !

None of us know whats around the corner and i pray that something happens to change your predicament for the better