Aberdeen V Kairat Almaty - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We shouldn't just accept it, and should strive to do better. I particularly agree with Binos point about being as fit and professional, that IS a frustration of mine, but to be fair to Aberdeen and Derek McInnes, I don't think fitness or professionalism was the difference. They were just a better side.

I can understand folk giving us stick if we'd lost to a team we should be beating. Kairat have a far bigger budget than us, but i think they are only slightly better than us. We had a chance of going through but were beaten by a slightly better team with a much bigger budget.

I'm sure McInnes wont be just accepting it. He'll be using it as motivation to improve and do better next year (should we make Europe).

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand folk giving us stick if we'd lost to a team we should be beating. Kairat have a far bigger budget than us, but i think they are only slightly better than us. We had a chance of going through but were beaten by a slightly better team with a much bigger budget.

I'm sure McInnes wont be just accepting it. He'll be using it as motivation to improve and do better next year (should we make Europe).

To me it's probably similar to Celtic beating Carrierbag. Celtic will have a far bigger budget but only managed a narrow win over the 2 legs. I wouldn't imagine Carrierbag are overly worried about being beaten over the 2 legs given the disparity.

I'm not giving them stick at all, just saying that after a good away result and based on what I saw of that team there was nothing much to fear....disappointing.

Sbmfc makes some good points about how tough it is but to be fair some of the results down the years have been absolutely abject, including some of my own teams.

To me it's probably similar to Celtic beating Carrierbag. Celtic will have a far bigger budget but only managed a narrow win over the 2 legs. I wouldn't imagine Carrierbag are overly worried about being beaten over the 2 legs given the disparity.

Carrierbag as u call them are probably working on a comparable if not slightly bigger budget than Celtic

Sbmfc makes some good points about how tough it is but to be fair some of the results down the years have been absolutely abject, including some of my own teams.

I don't think anyone disagrees. This is not one of them though. This is a defeat to a better team with a far bigger budget.

I don't think anyone connected with Aberdeen should beat themselves up over last night.

Yes, they were a fairly decent...if limited...European side that are probably as skilful and organised as any side we'll play in Scotland this year, but I agree we could well have got through given a bit more creativity and luck.

We have to use this exercise to look at the weaknesses highlighted.....a lack of creativity, the huge gap between defence and midfield, and our chronic inability to get a decent cross- ball in (also see last Sunday).

They came third in the kazakhstani premier league behind aktobe, who were put out of the uefa cup by nomme kalju of Estonia, who were put out in the next round by vaduz of liechtenstein, who were put out in the next round by fc thun

That is based on last season though. This team not currently sitting top of their domestic league???

End of the day your effectively asking any Scottish team to go on a 6 or 8 match unbeaten run over 8 weeks to qualify for the group stage of a competition.

Not really, although it's quite rare for our teams to come back after a defeat in Europe.

Looks like we're beginning to accept our football is shite. Struggling against Azerbaijani and Kazakhstani fitba' teams... doesn't bode well for the future.

Not really, although it's quite rare for our teams to come back after a defeat in Europe.

Looks like we're beginning to accept our football is shite. Struggling against Azerbaijani and Kazakhstani fitba' teams... doesn't bode well for the future.

as did West Ham. It shows the difficulty of a series of qualifiers that have two legs stretching over thousands of miles rather than an indication of the league. If Scottish teams qualified for the Europa actual group stages regularly they would hold their own most often than not - when Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic have done so, this has been the case. They wouldn't win it but wouldn't be embarrassed.

Was disappointed last night but over the two legs they were the better side. We lacked a bit of penetration last night in the final third and for me last night Jack and Pawlett and especially Goodwillie (who was our best player over the two Rijeka games)were poor. Hayes I think needs to take some rest, get himself fully fit and McGinn needs to compete for the whole game. Logan put in a few decent tackles but that was down to his own poor positional sense a couple of times. Big Ash had a tremendous match and did well up front as well!!! Apparently through some media outlets Ward could have done better at the shot and parried straight to the big striker who milked his goal for at least 3 minutes. It could have been all over as early as the second minute had Ward not had a decent stop from him. Our delivery again with cross balls (you would have thought after Tannadice they would have been putting in some practice)was very poor. Folk who are criticising and thinking it's a disgrace we are beaten by a Kazahkstan team need to go and learn about this side. They are well organised and technically very good. Their players are all on big money with a fair smattering of internationalists. The odds are stacked ahainst us to qualify for the group stage and until the format and the regionalisation is changed, no Scottish team will qualify through playing 8 games. Come the end of the season it could be a blessing in disguise that we are out. Time will tell.

Would agree with a lot of that, however I just don't see what anybody sees in Goodwillie. Although I thought he was slightly better on Thursday, than he has been, he just lacks any touch, control, pace, or goalscoring instinct. It is clear that we just didn't have a cutting edge against two very strong and accomplished central defenders and we really do need a quality striker, with a presence and pace to turn the possession that we often have, into goals. I think Rooney is an intelligent footballer but just doesn't have the strength or pace to compete against the better teams. Of course, if he did have that strength and pace, coupled with his good anticipation sense, he wouldn't be playing here. That, I'm afraid, is the reality of the situation.

With regard to Logan, I totally agree with the above. Whilst he defended the mistakes he made very well and put in some well timed tackles, his offensive play was atrocious ! You can see that he obviously doesn't have the pace, or confidence, to go past defenders. He takes up good positions on the touchline but when he gets the ball. he just controls it and passes it backwards, or puts in lame totally ineffective crosses. On the couple of occasions, on Thursday that he tried to go past the defender, he stood on the ball, or miscontrolled it, ending up putting it out for a goalkick. Maybe he is the best we have in that position but he's simply not good enough, against better teams and players.

Very unfair to criticise Ward for the goal. I was behind that goal and he made a great save from the initial shot.

However, overall, I thought it wasn't really a bad performance against a team who are better than anything Aberdeen will play this season, possibly also including Celtic !. Forget where they come from, their team was littered with quality players, on big money, from other nations, and we simply can't compete with that level financially. You only get what you pay for, and we (Scottish Football, with the exception of Celtic) are just unable to compete financially with that.

They would have been but with West Ham also going out Aberdeen would have been seeded. Their co-efficient is 13.7, would have put them in as bottom rated seeded side ahead of Belenenses, who ended up lowest ranked seed with 12.276 co-efficient.

Edit - the "oracle" - http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2015.html

The 13.7 isn't Aberdeen's seeding, that was Rijeka's. Aberdeen took their seeding for QR3 because the draw was made before the tie was over.

Aberdeen would have reverted back to their own seeding for the play-off draw, which was 4.580. They would have been unseeded.

The 13.7 isn't Aberdeen's seeding, that was Rijeka's. Aberdeen took their seeding for QR3 because the draw was made before the tie was over.

Aberdeen would have reverted back to their own seeding for the play-off draw, which was 4.580. They would have been unseeded.

Apologies, you are indeed correct, I @rsed it up by only looking at the round 3 coefficient. Nothing to see here folks, as you were!

That post isn't a gloat.... Read the article. Even you may find it amusing.

Sorry, jumped to conclusions. Central Asian team? I get what you mean.

UEFA are just trying to absorb the bloody planet into Europe to replace Fifa by stealth.

He turned down the contract we offered him.

Sad when a player would rather go to Fleetwood than stay at Aberdeen.

Fleetwood do have a decent set-up but they are still a very small club with a small fanbase. Only town in England with a league football team but no railway station too.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Sad when a player would rather good to Fleetwood than stay at Aberdeen.

Fleetwood do have a decent set-up but they are still a very small club with a small fanbase. Only town in England with a league football team but no railway station too.

Yup.

He looked like our best young striker. The boy Shankland we've kept instead looks a little pish.

Not often I agree with Davy Provan but his comments today about Aberdeen are spot on. 1 decent performance out of 6 and no home wins yet the exit seems to have been greeted with praise. Jesus wept! As a guy brought up in "new firm" era it is truly depressing. Still seems the loser mentality is alive and well at todders. McInnes had done well but on evidence seems unlikely he can take them much further.

Not often I agree with Davy Provan but his comments today about Aberdeen are spot on. 1 decent performance out of 6 and no home wins yet the exit seems to have been greeted with praise. Jesus wept! As a guy brought up in "new firm" era it is truly depressing. Still seems the loser mentality is alive and well at todders. McInnes had done well but on evidence seems unlikely he can take them much further.

It is a sad reflection on the league but when you look at the record of Scottish clubs in Europe, Aberdeen have done better than most sides.