Women's World Cup England V Canada - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup England V Canada

Herr Blatter was relatively disappointing on his wishes for women's football. ..wanting short shorts when he could have called for mini skirts as per netball....

Incidentally prior to FIFA he was head of the world stockings appreciation society. !!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st woman's game I've ever watched

( in the boozer in Calgary ; was dead incidentally)

Good move by Canada at start of game

Spoiled by a ballooned effort

Some shocking lack of basic skills at some points ; first touch a pass etc

Poor touch led to first goal

Keepers were poor

But tbh generally better than I thought it would be

Re the 50 k crowd ; they are pretty patriotic , and girls / woman's game ( at participation level) is almost as evenly populated as boys/men's

Both my son and daughter play every year

Not saying quality is great ; but all about building the sport I feel

USA light ......

I'm sure I read a few years ago that the Scotland wimmens team played against the dundee united youth team and the game got stopped at half time as the Yoof were 5-0 up at the time.

I doubt that, Man City's Ladies team regularly play against the City U'18's mens/boys teams for pre season & training matches. These ar generally competitive, but it seems to be that against any older guys the physical differences become too much.

Firstly, horrific possibility they might go on and win the sodding thing. Please no!!

Secondly the girl who's scored a couple for them, Lucy Bronze (middle name Tough..straight up!! )

Well she's from Berwick upon Tweed.

So...would she have been eligible for Scotland?

Not now of course cos too fkng late, but of Scotland had called her up first maybe?

Now before anyone tries to point out that Berwick is in England well yes, technically, but only at the moment, having been captured and kept. It's really a Scottish town just under English occupation.

I did hope that Independence could lead to it be re-united with the rest of Berwickshire.

One day maybe.

For those interested, although captured back in middle ages, it wasn't formally put into Northumberland until the 1800s. It spent centuries as a separate entity in neither England or Scotland. ...

She plays for City Ladies along with another 4 of the England team (including the captain)

I'm going to get it out there and say that I quite enjoy watching women's football.

You can't expect the same level of physicality, but often the skill level is very good and you can't fault the competitiveness.

Yeah, I enjoy it too & I take my daughter along to the Scotland international games & she loves it. She currently plays at under 9 levels, but some of the girls in her clubs under 15's are fantastic players.

I doubt that, Man City's Ladies team regularly play against the City U'18's mens/boys teams for pre season & training matches. These ar generally competitive, but it seems to be that against any older guys the physical differences become too much.

It was 15 years ago, so a lot may have changed but my brothers under-16's Falkirk side played Scotland women in a training match and won 16-1.

That said, i don't quite get the need folk have to slag the womens game. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I've been to a couple of Glasgow City games and really enjoyed them.

It was 15 years ago, so a lot may have changed but my brothers under-16's Falkirk side played Scotland women in a training match and won 16-1.

That said, i don't quite get the need folk have to slag the womens game. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I've been to a couple of Glasgow City games and really enjoyed them.

For me it's not so much a need to slag it as a bewilderment/annoyance at the amount of air time/publicity it gets compared to the amount of people who actually have a genuine interest in it. I'd love to see how much the BBC/Sky or whoever have paid for the coverage compared to what they pay for the SPFL.

Yeah, I think the game has moved on dramatically in the last 5-10 years & the numbers of girls participating in football now is massive.

Yeah, I think the game has moved on dramatically in the last 5-10 years & the numbers of girls participating in football now is massive.

My nephew (8) plays football on saturday mornings. The games are all 5-a-sides and there are always a few girls in some of the teams :ok:

Aye it's definitely moved on a bit. I referee the lassies at Stirling Uni quite regularly and the standard is good. Glasgow City are the team to beat just now. Am I right in saying they signed quite a few players from Celtic? I know that they used to be the best woman's team a few years ago.

Aye it's definitely moved on a bit. I referee the lassies at Stirling Uni quite regularly and the standard is good. Glasgow City are the team to beat just now. Am I right in saying they signed quite a few players from Celtic? I know that they used to be the best woman's team a few years ago.

Our under 10s played Glasgow City under 13s last year and the boys were absolutely hammered. The girls' touch and movement was light years ahead of the wee boys.

I enjoy women's football. Why does it need to be compared to the men's professional game all the time? It's entertaining in and of itself.

Our under 10s played Glasgow City under 13s last year and the boys were absolutely hammered. The girls' touch and movement was light years ahead of the wee boys.

I enjoy women's football. Why does it need to be compared to the men's professional game all the time? It's entertaining in and of itself.

Anytime I've seen Glasgow City's youth teams they've been hammered (u9's, u11's & u13's) I think their youth system suffers from the fact that Glasgow City sign players in for the first team as they are playing in Europe every year and are miles ahead of everyone else in Scotland.

My nephew (8) plays football on saturday mornings. The games are all 5-a-sides and there are always a few girls in some of the teams :ok:

When I played 7s when I was younger there were a few teams with girls in them.

In Canada there were loads of young girls at kids training and a fair few played in the local league that I played in. The league rules were you had to have two girls on the pitch at a time. Some of them were vicious and oneneven grabbed ma Baws to hold me off, was f*ckin sore!

Anytime I've seen Glasgow City's youth teams they've been hammered (u9's, u11's & u13's) I think their youth system suffers from the fact that Glasgow City sign players in for the first team as they are playing in Europe every year and are miles ahead of everyone else in Scotland.

Well, Andy Smith (with the lugs) was coaching these girls and they were pretty good. It wasn't their first team either. Good football they played.

If you compair the standard to 10-15 years ago it has gone up massively. Give it a few more years and the standard will be very high. Add to that the massive difference in moneys in the woman's game then its no wonder they are not as good as the men

You can't tell me you weren't impressed with the Canadian woman nutmegging two English players on halfway and pinging a forty yard cross field pass to set up a clear goal scoring chance. If Charlie Adam had done it we'd all be gasping.

I very briefly went out with a girl a good few years back who had played for Scotland at some level. The humiliation of being with a lassie that could do more keepy ups than me meant that it didn't last long though!

No.

I heard she dumped you because you couldn't keep 'it' up. :-))

Women's fitba' is shit. IMHO.

Watched some of the first half last night and thats about 30 minutes of my life I am never going to get back! Yes we see some stinking games in mens football, but what I saw was atrocious! Have yet to see a move with more than 2 passes, followed by mis-control or the ball out the park! Its rubbish and to say otherwise is the PC brigade gone mad!! The TA cup winners Bonnybridge TA would leather them!!

I'm not bothered about the comparison with men's football. Apart from a few skilful plays , the standard is shyte as sonofoi says above. I can live with it being shyte but the media are hyping it up big style as if its decent football.

Anyways mon the Japan!

I totally agree that the standard is far below mens, but the thing that I think best about the whole competition is the lack of diving and playacting. The men could certainly take a leaf out of their book in that respect !

Well, Andy Smith (with the lugs) was coaching these girls and they were pretty good. It wasn't their first team either. Good football they played.

I met Andy Smith in Malta a few years ago. He had a team of young boys over from Scotland. Was approachable and a pleasant guy.

Watching this again and the quality is rubbish!

I take the point that theres not much diving etc and it does seem to be relatively end to end but its like primary school 20 a side launch it forward stuff!

The shire would beat them!!