Players To Break Through Next Season - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players To Break Through Next Season

kmcca5

Got to think Armstrong and GMS are primed and champin at the bit now. They were playin European football v inter Milan last season and should be playin champs league next season. Strachan craves players playing European football. I agree also that our squad is ageing now, not to the extent of say craigie Browns era but it's startin to go that way. These 2 should bring it down slightly at least. I can't see any others unless they get a move to a top club and play regularly as strachan has mentioned he wants to keep the nucleus of what's already there.

Got to think Armstrong and GMS are primed and champin at the bit now. They were playin European football v inter Milan last season and should be playin champs league next season. Strachan craves players playing European football. I agree also that our squad is ageing now, not to the extent of say craigie Browns era but it's startin to go that way. These 2 should bring it down slightly at least. I can't see any others unless they get a move to a top club and play regularly as strachan has mentioned he wants to keep the nucleus of what's already there.

I haven't really seen anything from GMS to say that he's even close to breaking into the Scotland squad. Armstrong's far more consistent and he can't be far away.

And as for European football, very few outside Celtic players in the Scotland side on Saturday have ever played European football, and that's likely to continue next season.

GMS turns 25 in about six weeks - hardly going to bring the average age of the squad down. Not saying he doesn't deserve to get called up if - as you say - he plays well in the Champions League but not the kind of young player that will bring the average age down

I haven't really seen anything from GMS to say that he's even close to breaking into the Scotland squad. Armstrong's far more consistent and he can't be far away.

And as for European football, very few outside Celtic players in the Scotland side on Saturday have ever played European football, and that's likely to continue next season.

Well he said it in interviews. Something along the lines of the whole experience of going away to big stadiums and competing against higher quality opposition for a few days is very similar to the international process. It's maybe an indication of where we are that only the Celtic lads play European football.

I'm not too worried about the age of our squad right now. There is only Greer from the current squad that won't be able to carry on into the next campaign.

I guess the obvious choices to step up are the players that Strachan has already called up - Bain, Paterson, Maclead, Gauld, McDonald, McGregor and May.

Hendrie, Grimmer, Souttar, McGhee, McGinn, Fulton, Henderson, King, Kennedy, Petrie, Telfer, Fraser and Watt could be looked at if they have good seasons for their clubs but I'm not sure they can force their way into the team yet.

I'd love to see Harper get a loan spell somewhere and see if he can impress. I do wonder whether some of the teams in the Europa League get tempt Real Madrid to send him over for a season.

Alex Davey spent over 6 months at Shorpe last season and he couldn't hold down a place in a struggling 3rd division team ...

I was not impressed with him at all, he is a big lad and has a bit of pace but unfortunately didn't seem to have some of the basics required for a defender, seemed to lack awareness of what was going on around him and his positional play was hopeless

Not as good a player as Graham Alexander who played at Shorpe probably at about the same age(19/20)?

Or even Matt Elliott who was a far better defender(obviously at the low level Shorpe play at).

I seriously hope that Mackay-Stevens and Armstrong start well at Celtic and break into the Scotland squad. If Matt Richie can get a game it is Criminal they aren't even in the squad.

Mackay-Steven.

See also Mary Hopkin. She must despair.

I'm always surprised how people write off Grant Hanley as a prospect for the future. The guy is 23 years old and captain of a Championship side. He has got so much learning ahead of him. And especially as a centre half, experience in that position is vital.

17 Caps already. And Starchan also seems to rate him. Hopefully he can keep progressing.

I'm always surprised how people write off Grant Hanley as a prospect for the future. The guy is 23 years old and captain of a Championship side. He has got so much learning ahead of him. And especially as a centre half, experience in that position is vital.

17 Caps already. And Starchan also seems to rate him. Hopefully he can keep progressing.

Personally think hanleys a great player underatd by many scotland fans i know

Who's writing him off?

Who's writing him off?

Ok good point. Did a search and didn't see as much negativity as I thought I would. But I'm sure I've seen a few things in the past.

Should have maybe put it across that we should be hoping Grant can continue to develop, as he could be a a big player for us.

I read a bit online with the Blackburn boss saying people expect him to be a future Scotland captain.

Personally think hanleys a great player underatd by many scotland fans i know

Agree and isnt scared to challenege anyone. Him and Martin together looked like a great pairing.

Looking forward to seeing how Jamie Walker does in the SPL (or whatever its called these days). Has a lot of talent and a bit of Faddy about him. Clearly a big step up from the Championship but he now has games under his belt and a level of expectation that he will be a key figure for Hearts. Time will tell.

I'd say Hanley is pretty well established and if fit would be our first choice CB pairing with Martin.