Twist And Turns - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Twist And Turns

vienna2008

I see you miss out the two games between us conveniently. Which if it doesn't display the ability to get results under extreme pressure then what does it display? Previous campaigns are irrelevant here as it was largely a different set of players and different managers but if you really want to go by that criteria then look at results we got under pressure for 2008 World Cup qualifying. We went to France and won and drew at home to Italy and that was at the business end of that campaign and the last campaign (pre-Strachan) when we had a competent manager.

Erm....a small point, but we didn't draw at home to Italy in the 2008 campaign, we lost 1-2.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Marky but basic point remains where we do have form at tail end of group and more pertinent - form against higher seeded teams which are the sort of matches we have coming up. We have beaten France, Ukraine and Croatia in recent years as well as drawn with Germany and Czech Republic. This indicates that we cannot be ruled out of picking up at least a point from matches against Poland and Germany meaning even if the nightmare scenario happens and we lose in Georgia we could still be in contention come the last fixture.

Okay Marky but basic point remains where we do have form at tail end of group and more pertinent - form against higher seeded teams which are the sort of matches we have coming up. We have beaten France, Ukraine and Croatia in recent years as well as drawn with Germany and Czech Republic. This indicates that we cannot be ruled out of picking up at least a point from matches against Poland and Germany meaning even if the nightmare scenario happens and we lose in Georgia we could still be in contention come the last fixture.

Look, let me say first of all that I think we will qualify from this group, but most of your examples are not valid.

I'll give you France away and to a lesser extent Ukraine at home. As Boys in Green has said, under no circumstances can the Croatia result be considered "pressure" results. That's nonsense. As for the Czech game, despite the fortune of their equaliser, they were a $hite team and we failed to get the required result. As for the draw against Germany, really? That was 12 years ago ffs! And technically it was in the middle of the campaign, not at the "business end".

The Italy game further discredits your argument because as well as we played for periods of that game we still lost when it mattered. The painful nature of their winner was more than mitigated by the fact that they had already had a perfectly good goal incorrectly disallowed for offside and our goal which was allowed WAS offside.

Of course I hope we qualify and as I said above I think we will, but let's not talk $hite.

Exactly girvan. I don't see any set of results coming about that won't keep the group open with the remaking two fixtures to come. Four teams will still be in the hunt but at present I would sooner be in our shoes with our fixtures to come than Ireland. It is up to us to take advantage of that.

Ireland's late late goals away to Georgia & Germany put a different slant on things

A baw hair away from a draw and a defeat

The luck of the Irish may be running out

Rubbish. Did you see their goal against us? McCarthy not being sent off?

Ireland are the luckiest side going.

Scotland are going to beat Germany in Hampden, We are going to beat them in Dublin and Poland wll get a point off them in Germany.....leaving the Germans in Fourth and the other 3 will all qualify.......Sorted!!

Serious amount of mystic megs in this thread

Germany could beat Poland and still finish 4th.

If Germany lost against Scotland and Ireland, and Poland got a draw against Scotland, then Poland and Ireland could play out a 0-0 draw to finish 2nd and 3rd.

Rubbish. Did you see their goal against us? McCarthy not being sent off?

Ireland are the luckiest side going.

Not only that - we are going to luckily beat Germany and Poland and win the group

Then just to top it off............

We are going to get every decision for us in the Championships and win the tournament outright

I hear ya Mick!!!!

Ye take backhanders to allow other teams to qualify though

NO - our football association took that money

DONT - put our fans and our team in the same Bracket!

Our fans and team would have given anything to have been apart of the WC 2010

We were not told about the money and if we were we would have told FIFA and the FAI to go and f**k themselves

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

NO - our football association took that money

DONT - put our fans and our team in the same Bracket!

Our fans and team would have given anything to have been apart of the WC 2010

We were not told about the money and if we were we would have told FIFA and the FAI to go and f**k themselves

Easy tiger ; just a bit of joshing

You may want to revise your moniker to Green Tide Ebbing over next few months tho

In Georgia's 5 games ignoring their Gibralter game, they have scored 1 goal conceding 13. They are ranked 139 in the world below Lichtenstien, Luxembourg, Kazhaksthan. Make no mistakes about it its a poor Georgia team

Scotland play half decent we beat them comfortably, they are a much poorer team the 07 version, lets not get hung up on that game when we had a bad night and they looked decent. We will win in Georgia 2 or 3 NIL

That will pretty much wrap up at least 3rd place and probably give us a one of match v Poland for 2nd. Irelands hope is we beat Poland and that gives them a one off match in Warsaw for 3rd

Back in 2007 they were mid 70's when we played them, though we were 14th. They had drew with Ukraine at home and lost 3-2 to them away, certainly never took the humpings they have now

Ireland should be dead and burried in this section, but they are hanging about like a bad smell. They have "gained" 5 points between late / offside goals. To win in Georgia I think we need to get back to the level of performance we had in Germany and Poland, anything less, we will probably drop points.

I think The Poland match will be a Cup Final for an automatic qualification spot.

Scotland are going to beat Germany in Hampden, We are going to beat them in Dublin and Poland wll get a point off them in Germany.....leaving the Germans in Fourth and the other 3 will all qualify.......Sorted!!

Serious amount of mystic megs in this thread

Ach min, give us a break, This is the first time in a long while we have been in the position to indulge in all this speculation. By this stage of the campaign we are usually reduced to arguing about who our next manager should be. :lol:

the germans no doubt have the toughest fixtures. wonder if they and Poland drawing would be good for us.

No definitely not. IMO a draw in that game is the worst possible result for Scotland.

I want a win for one side or the other but I'm not too fussy which one of them wins. I'm starting to think that a win for Germany is slightly better than a win for Poland but not much in it.