Twist And Turns - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Twist And Turns

vienna2008

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Georgia match has typical Scottish football disaster written all over it. I honestly think it'll be very tight over there.

I just hope that the character of this regenerated team can get them through it.

Me & Mrs have been saying the same. Think its got the potential to have disaster written all over it. But saying that this is WGS no burley or the anti-christ.

For all this talk (and it is true) of us being poor in the last few games. However, I have always been a firm believer in the old addage that a mark of a good side is one with the ability to get results even when playing poorly. If we play poorly V Georgia on this vein of form it certainly does not rule us out of winning. If we qualify playing gash I'd take it but prefer classy performances but qualification is the name of the game.

Me & Mrs have been saying the same. Think its got the potential to have disaster written all over it. But saying that this is WGS no burley or the anti-christ.

I must admit I have been thinking the same since the dust settled after Roi. We're affectively in a one fk up and we're screwed situation. The pressure on a win in Georgia is now going to be tenfold. Roi will have 15 pts after the September fixtures and we could easily be stuck on 12/13 leaving it in Roi's hands.I saw also feel this can all be traced back to Roi's draw in Germany meaning the gap is only 2 between when it should be 3 and we would therefore have that cushion of a better head to head over Roi. Am sure we can go over to Georgia and win though but it's not cut and dry like playin Gib. No pressure lads...

On paper we've got the best run in of the top 4 in the group. This is both in terms of who we play (we only have 2 of the top 4 now tae play and both games are at home) and the sequence of the games (Georgia and Poland as the first games in double headers). So it's there for us and hopefully they'll dae it. l think the key tae getting a result in Georgia is tae try and control the game - they parked the bus in the first half at Ibrox but when they had tae go for it a bit in the second half l thought we did control things well enough. This will be a difficult game as we well know from the last time but if we could get a win we would be near enough sure of a play off spot - but it's better than that l want which means beating Poland at Hampden.

Got a feeling Poland at Hampden will end up like the Czech Republic game at Hampden in 2011. Probs end up drawing via controversy.

That said they could still fluck it up against ROI whilst the Czechs were guaranteed 2nd spot when that diving bassa won them that point.

Hence the inverted commas.

I agree it wouldn't be much of a 'shock', it just wouldn't be the 'expected' result....(there are these pesky inverted commas again... :wink2: )

People say we're not very good. We very rarely lose. We drew with Poland and Germany. You drew with Poland and lost to Germany. You beat us and drew with us. Very little between us. Mark my words. This group will go down to the wire

Edited by TheBoysinGreen

Without being negative at the end of the day whether you're playing great or not - against Georgia you scored a scrappy goal. Against us you scored a scrappy deflected goal. There will be twists and turns left in this group.

Georgia vs Scotland

Scotland vs Germany

Gibralter vs Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland vs Georgia.

We'll know a huge amount after those two games.

People say we're not very good. We very rarely lose. We drew with Poland and Germany. You drew with Poland and lost to Germany. You beat us and drew with us. Very little between us. Mark my words. This group will go down to the wire

You seem to be grasping a little. Scotland this year have not been very good or at least reached the standards previously set under Strachan. But in terms of ability to play football, there is currently quite a big distance between Ireland and Scotland. Whilst it may be the case Ireland rarely lose, and the group may well indeed go to the wire, football-wise, Ireland are the poorest team out of the four teams who can qualify from our group.

You seem to be grasping a little. Scotland this year have not been very good or at least reached the standards previously set under Strachan. But in terms of ability to play football, there is currently quite a big distance between Ireland and Scotland. Whilst it may be the case Ireland rarely lose, and the group may well indeed go to the wire, football-wise, Ireland are the poorest team out of the four teams who can qualify from our group.

i dont think the Irish fans are grasping at straws.

They have two of the three easiest games up next - and that virtually guarantees them 15 points with two games to go.

And why cant they take a point off of Germany at home? They gained a point in Germany and as the Irish fans have said Germany may have qualified by then.

i think Ireland are still very much in it - i fully suspect Ireland will have something to play for in their last game in Warsaw.

They have two of the three easiest games up next - and that virtually guarantees them 15 points with two games to go.

And why cant they take a point off of Germany at home? They gained a point in Germany and as the Irish fans have said Germany may have qualified by then.

i think Ireland are still very much in it - i fully suspect Ireland will have something to play for in their last game in Warsaw.

The only way the Germans will have qualified by the time they play Ireland will be if Ireland and us have slipped up in September and neither of us can cacth them over the last two games. Basically we take 1 point from 2 games and the Irish take 3 or less

I would also say why cant we take a point of the Germans at home. I'm confident we will beat Georgia, completly different game this time compared to the last time in 2007.

As bossman says there is virtually no way Germany can have qualified automatically by the time they play Ireland. In fact I'd go as far as to say it may be more likely that they will travel to Dublin knowing three points qualify them automatically so they'll target that. The reason why they can't take a point off Germany at home? Well for the reason I pointed out earlier - when Germany have a goal in a match they are the most efficient country in the world at getting what they need from a match even in adverse conditions at the business end of a group. Plus look at Ireland's goalscoring record of late (aside from group minnows) and it says they don't or can't score which also counts against them and lack the creativity to carve open defences of Germany's ilk. Until they lose the blitzkrieg approach of aerial bombardment I'd despair of I were an Irish supporter. Now I am not fully ruling Ireland out of it and you can't when they have two of their easiest fixtures coming up so they will still be in the shake-up (on paper) going into October but then they hit the brick wall in terms of tough fixtures whilst out last two fixtures are nowhere near as tough.

Ireland's best hope I'd say lies in the scenarios of us losing in Georgia all three of our meaningful fixtures that are left and even the most pessimistic Scot or pundit can't see that happening. The better scenario (though looks unlikely at the moment granted) is that Poland lose in Germany and at home to us. They'll beat Georgia so going into their last game would be on 17 points. Ireland would themselves be on 15 (after likely wins V Gibraltar and Georgia and loss V Germany) going into their final fixture and a win in Poland would take them into a play-off spot. I'd say that scenario is likelier than the Scotland screwing up one.

Edited by Caledonian Craig