Summer Footie On The Way? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Summer Footie On The Way?

Summer fitba is only for people who are keen to go shoe shopping with their burds during winter weekends.

:lol:

Surely it just means shoe shopping in the summer if you're against it?

Heard Stewart Regan on radio talking about how scotland play on Saturday 13th June, and the European qualifiers start at the end of June, meaning we don't have the traditional close season.

Bizarrely that was meant to be an argument AGAINST summer football.

:?:

To be honest, I don't think playing in Summer will improve attendances that greatly, as there are so many other things taking up folk's spare time. Life has changed so much since the 70's with the increase in shift work etc. Then most worked a 5 day week, and the weekend was for getting out to matches with mates and doing family stuff.

I've said before too, people's lifestyles and the dynamic of family relationships have changed aswell.

there's times when quite frankly I wouldn't dare suggest to my wife that after barely seeing each other all week due to work, that I'm going to off for most of saturday, and expect my dinner on the table when I get in.

:lol:

My grandfather and to lesser extent father would have done exactly that.

This smacks of we can get more tv money if you awkward customers would just change your preferred habits and go on holiday in the winter etc.

summer football on plastic pitches what a joy .

TV money will no doubt be a big part of it but there's also the UEFA co-efficient to think about. How many of our teams get caught out against sub-standard opposition who are midway through their domestic season whilst our clubs have barely had a pre-season game under their belt?

Plastic pitches would be less common if summer football came to fruition, the reason clubs use it is a cost-saver to prevent postponements for frozen pitches and not fork out for undersoil heating.

Heard Stewart Regan on radio talking about how scotland play on Saturday 13th June, and the European qualifiers start at the end of June, meaning we don't have the traditional close season.

Bizarrely that was meant to be an argument AGAINST summer football.

:?:

He did say we could go along the lines of European countries who have a longer break in the winter than the summer.

I'd be happy to try that, I prefer the season climax to be in decent weather. Playing the Scottish Cup final in winter would be just wrong...

It would be cheaper for clubs as less floodlighting would be required and no need for under soil heating. It would be better for fans as they wouldn't be sitting in sub zero temperatures at any point in the season. And there could be a chance of more tv money through increased interest internationally.

TV money will no doubt be a big part of it but there's also the UEFA co-efficient to think about. How many of our teams get caught out against sub-standard opposition who are midway through their domestic season whilst our clubs have barely had a pre-season game under their belt?

Plastic pitches would be less common if summer football came to fruition, the reason clubs use it is a cost-saver to prevent postponements for frozen pitches and not fork out for undersoil heating.

We are normally fairly aligned in our thinking John, but not on this.

Frankly, basing a total overhaul of our game in order to help a couple of teams in Europe would be a disaster. Until there's a whole host of material changes within UEFA and their thinking, European fitba is a complete and utter waste of our time.

In my opinion, the reason we are seeing more plastic pitches is less to do with our weather and more to do with cost savings, rental opportunity and provisions of a training facility.

Lastly, I think the notion of summer football (sitting in moderately nice temperatures) sounds appealing but when it comes to the crunch, it may well have a negative impact on attendances. Lifestyles have changed, people want to do things in the nice weather. I for one am more likely to sit a watch fitba in the winter if the only issue is having to wrap up a bit (and 'cos the bad weather rules out doing other things). I'd rather be doing my own thing on the nice days. And before "someone" says it, no, it's not just 'cos summer football would clash with the golf season.

any harm in giving it a go for a season?

Absolutely not. The reasons for not doing ive heard are tenuous and flimsy at best. Just because folks have sat in the freezing cold and watched football played in freezin wet conditions for years doesn't mean it is a tradition that should not be broken. I have not heard one strong argument for not doing it - even any reasonable point such as clubs getting attendance boosts over Christmas and NY can be addressed ie have the season end in mid Jan and start in mid March. Aside from better weather and clubs well into their season come any Euro qualifiers, an improved TV deal may be on offer given perhaps the demand for football when the EPL is in off season.

Absolutely not. The reasons for not doing ive heard are tenuous and flimsy at best. Just because folks have sat in the freezing cold and watched football played in freezin wet conditions for years doesn't mean it is a tradition that should not be broken. I have not heard one strong argument for not doing it - even any reasonable point such as clubs getting attendance boosts over Christmas and NY can be addressed ie have the season end in mid Jan and start in mid March. Aside from better weather and clubs well into their season come any Euro qualifiers, an improved TV deal may be on offer given perhaps the demand for football when the EPL is in off season.

Totally agree. Give a go and if it is a bad as some predict revert it back.