Strachan's Ethic - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's Ethic

Caledonian Craig

A common theme on here is the questioning of certain players place in the squad or starting line-up. Gordon Strachan has always said since he took the job that it is all about work ethic and it would take hard work to get results. He wants hard graft from each player and he likes selecting players who have elements to offer the team.

Steve Fletcher often gets criticised for being picked ahead of Rhodes and Griffiths but Fletcher is multi-faceted as a striker. He is not just in the side as a striker but also for his link-up play which blows Rhodes and Griffiths out of the water on that front hence why he is first pick ahead of them.

Alan Hutton and James Forrest's inclusion has been questioned of late but they bring pace to the side which Strachan likes. It is a valuable commodity to have and benefits us in attack and defence and is the reason as well that Anya is a starter for us when fit.

Strachan is only up for selecting players willing to fit into his work ethic and can offer multiple things to the side. He realises we cannot afford any passengers in the side or players he sees as one-dimensional ie Rhodes goal poaching. What's the point as Scotland do not carve out chances that require a goal poacher.

He has also installed a club mentality , which is shown in his squad selections only adding maybe 1 or 2 different players in his next squad , i like his ideas as the players all seem to know their jobs and are confident in each otherr,the players work really hard without the ball as well as with it

A common theme on here is the questioning of certain players place in the squad or starting line-up. Gordon Strachan has always said since he took the job that it is all about work ethic and it would take hard work to get results. He wants hard graft from each player and he likes selecting players who have elements to offer the team.

Steve Fletcher often gets criticised for being picked ahead of Rhodes and Griffiths but Fletcher is multi-faceted as a striker. He is not just in the side as a striker but also for his link-up play which blows Rhodes and Griffiths out of the water on that front hence why he is first pick ahead of them.

Alan Hutton and James Forrest's inclusion has been questioned of late but they bring pace to the side which Strachan likes. It is a valuable commodity to have and benefits us in attack and defence and is the reason as well that Anya is a starter for us when fit.

Strachan is only up for selecting players willing to fit into his work ethic and can offer multiple things to the side. He realises we cannot afford any passengers in the side or players he sees as one-dimensional ie Rhodes goal poaching. What's the point as Scotland do not carve out chances that require a goal poacher.

Are you Steven Fletcher's mum?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but ultimately the wee man is the boss and he'll pick who he thinks can do the best job for us.

Personally I would have Rhodes in the squad but I would start with Fletcher anyway so I'm not that bothered that he isn't. I haven't seen any Celtic games this season but I would guess Griffiths doesn't normally play up front on his own.

Although Fletcher isn't a goal machine, I think he's the best we've got. Especially playing up front on his own.

No sure what sort of upbringing you had, but with a name like Craig I would have thought he's a lot more likely to be Fletcher's dad

Internet user names can be deceptive.

Steven's dad is English, so would have been used to seeing very good centre forwards and wouldn't be blinded by his son's inadequacies. He is also dead, so would be extremely unlikely to be posting on the TAMB. CC's incessant fawning over a footballer who is average, at best, would be more likely to suggest a feminine style of undying love, which men would usually reserve for real super-heroes like Dalglish, Baxter, Dailly or Teale.

I have a feeling that we might both be wrong but at least my logic stands up to scrutiny.

Strachan picks players who fit into the system, the striker needs to be able to hold the ball up and press effectively within our shape, goalscoring isn't the first target.

A ''shadow striker'' however is looked at to get beyond the striker and give the opposition problems and probably score more regularly i.e Naismith or even Maloney.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Oraloon why not stick to the point of the post eh?

Strachan picks the side and selects players who bring most to the team. Where have I painted Fletcher as Zico or Maradona. Of course he lies way down the list even of Scotland's best strikers. However, he is our best option open to us just now and fans here with brains and no prejudice here can see it, Strachan can see it and even EPL clubs and their bank managers can see it.

But this post is about the whole team. Strachan picks players who offer most to the team both in effort and in all-round game.

<p>I stopped after reading the first sentence of the OP. It seems that Craig doesn't understand the point of an internet messageboard. It's about giving our opinion. It'd be a bit pointless if we alll just said "Strachan knows about football than me, i must be wrong". </p>

<p>I stopped after reading the first sentence of the OP. It seems that Craig doesn't understand the point of an internet messageboard. It's about giving our opinion. It'd be a bit pointless if we alll just said "Strachan knows about football than me, i must be wrong". </p>

Well I suggest you shouldn't have read the topic then as the clue was in the title. Besides as I have pointed out Strachan's decisions may be distasteful to some on here ie selecting Fletcher, Hutton, Forrest, Adam et al but at the end of the day results count and wee Gordon has got them when it really matters in this campaign with his selections. And besides all of those on that list (barring Forrest) are all playing and have played at far higher levels than players some on this forum believe should be picked before them such as Rhodes, Griffiths, Bardsley etc. So even if we are willing to accept Stachan is wrong then please explain why those chosen by Strachan are evidently rated better by league managers as well?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Internet user names can be deceptive.

Steven's dad is English, so would have been used to seeing very good centre forwards and wouldn't be blinded by his son's inadequacies. He is also dead, so would be extremely unlikely to be posting on the TAMB. CC's incessant fawning over a footballer who is average, at best, would be more likely to suggest a feminine style of undying love, which men would usually reserve for real super-heroes like Dalglish, Baxter, Dailly or Teale.

I have a feeling that we might both be wrong but at least my logic stands up to scrutiny.

I agree Orraloon - you both might be wrong ?

seems that Craig doesn't understand the point of an internet messageboard. It's about giving our opinion.

Exactly - I'd like to see Rhodes and Bardsley in the squad. Neither are but for very different reasons it seems.

I also don't agree with WGS decision to stick with Whittaker but I trust the manager to get the best out of these players.

His real strength I think has been his ability to create partnerships, specifically Hanley/Martin and Brown/Mulgrew. Martin and Mulgrew both offer versatility too (as does Whittaker) and as Parklife says, that's invaluable, as it can create an extra place in the squad

I am all for opinion it is the crappy attitude of throwing in cheap insults if you don't agree with opinions such as accusing someone of having ulterior motives.

I think people should go right back to the beginning when Strachan took over and read his comments about hard work and laying out playing as a team as his ethos. Those are playing out in his selections.

Interesting we aren't seeing anywhere near the number of call offs as we did under the Lord of Darkness!?

A lot to do with that I think. The realisation we may be going somewhere soon in more ways than one, players fully behind the manager and willing to play through more of a pain barrier for him and also realising that to stay involved they want to remain in the manager's eye as much as possible. I mean a fear must be there now that call-off now and the replacement that comes in could just impress enough to jeopardise future squad places.

I don't think Levein suffered many call-offs at all. It was one thing that you can't use against him.

That was my first thought also..... it was A LOT worse under Vogts and Smith, given Leveins starting line up very rarely changed from game to game most of the time.

A lot to do with that I think. The realisation we may be going somewhere soon in more ways than one, players fully behind the manager and willing to play through more of a pain barrier for him and also realising that to stay involved they want to remain in the manager's eye as much as possible. I mean a fear must be there now that call-off now and the replacement that comes in could just impress enough to jeopardise future squad places.

Doesn't just extend to call offs either seem to remember both Maloney and D.Fletcher saying they called Strachan to enusre their perspective transfers wouldn't have a detrimental effect on their participation for Scotland.