Colin Jackson - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Apologies if there's a thread already but I've just seen the news that Colin Jackson has passed away.

Surprised by how upset it's made me but I grew up watching the big man playing with Forsyth, Greig, McCloy and the rest. Real heroes with the club at heart.

Rip Bomber.

Edited by RenfrewBlue

That's a shame, I was actually just reading about him on Wikipedia the other night after Gordon Greer tied his unbeaten caps record.

In one of my first trips to Hampden I saw him score the winner in the 79 League Cup final, in the 25th minute of added time ;)

That's a shame, I was actually just reading about him on Wikipedia the other night after Gordon Greer tied his unbeaten caps record.

In one of my first trips to Hampden I saw him score the winner in the 79 League Cup final, in the 25th minute of added time ;)

That was when we had proper referees. ?

I only ever saw Jackson from about 1977 onwards and never rated him. I don't know if it was because he was a wee bit past his best or because he was playing in that dreadful late 70s early 80s Rangers team. Always sad though when a player from your childhood passes away.

Incidentally, from that cup final vid, big McCloy used to make me laugh. In days when goalies were scruffy as a rule, he perfected the art.

I only ever saw Jackson from about 1977 onwards and never rated him. I don't know if it was because he was a wee bit past his best or because he was playing in that dreadful late 70s early 80s Rangers team. Always sad though when a player from your childhood passes away.

Incidentally, from that cup final vid, big McCloy used to make me laugh. In days when goalies were scruffy as a rule, he perfected the art.

Eh? Wid that be that dreadful team that won two trebles in the space of 3 seasons and was a bawhair off making it 3 trebles in 4 years?

Yep - it was really just prior to the lead up to Souness arriving in the mid 80s that they were at their worst

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/rangers-fc/20/

However Marky probably recalls it as i do that around 1980 everybody realised that successful team was starting to age and deteriorate

Apologies if there's a thread already but I've just seen the news that Colin Jackson has passed away.

Surprised by how upset it's made me but I grew up watching the big man playing with Forsyth, Greig, McCloy and the rest. Real heroes with the club at heart.

Rip Bomber.

Just another part of our youth gone mate that makes us awfy maudlin

Sadly it's something that will continue

After his playing days Colin went on to be a Financial Advisor, opening an office in Maryhill ( Glasgow). It never really worked out for him. However, I met him several times at Firhill and I have to say he was a really nice guy, I seldom post on this kind of thread, but when you have met a 'true gentleman' who has passed away, it is appropriate to say .....RIP.

Edited by Broon2