Grant Hanley - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Grant Hanley

1320lichtie

Hope everyone has recovered from the weekend but just a thought I had today whilst lying on my settee gubbed from Germany..... 22 years old, 15 caps, captain of Blackburn, could he set a record for number of caps? I think for being 22 he really is a great centre half and will improve with age and we all know Centre halfs last a long time in the game. Nobody really coming through there either.

Future captain and a 100 caps for the boy or?

I can see where your coming from. The lad has improved from his nervy first displays. Some people are too harsh on him when we lose a goal. His positioning and tackling have improved in the last few games plus as others have said plenty of times before, Russell Martin is a good partner for him to play alongside. Defenders, centre backs in particular get better as they get older. I'm confident we'll see this with Grant Hanley.

Colin Hendry didn't make his Scotland debut until he was about 27 and still got 51 caps. Funny that he was Blackburn captain too ! Hanley could well equal that or better.

Why are so many players turning their back on playing for scotland? Feruz, burgess, mccarthy and mcgeady? Im sure theres a wee bit of a debate with the young lad davey from chelsea aswell

In Feruz case he seems to have a major attitude problem, not sure how he'll get on in the game at all.

Burgess grew up in Australia so maybe feels more affinity to the place, can't fault him for that.

McGeady and McCarthy slightly more complicated reasons there, and it's been done to death. Disappointing but we move on....

Why are so many players turning their back on playing for scotland? Feruz, burgess, mccarthy and mcgeady? Im sure theres a wee bit of a debate with the young lad davey from chelsea aswell

Not necessarily relating to the specific players you mention here (apart from Burgess), but generally I think the answer to your question is simple.

Stop selecting players who aren't Scottish at youth level and they'll stop deserting us when their real country comes calling.

:ok:

Edited by Marky

Not necessarily relating to the specific players you mention here (apart from Burgess), but generally I think the answer to your question is simple.

Stop selecting players who aren't Scottish at youth level and they'll stop deserting us when their real country comes calling.

:ok:

Burgess left Aberdeen aged 11, so has spent more team here than there.

In Feruz case he seems to have a major attitude problem, not sure how he'll get on in the game at all.

Burgess grew up in Australia so maybe feels more affinity to the place, can't fault him for that.

McGeady and McCarthy slightly more complicated reasons there, and it's been done to death. Disappointing but we move on....

None of them a major loss imo.

As for Hanley needs to more confident in the air.

In all honesty I don't think so. I think this lad is a stop gap and as soon as a genuinely good centre half emerges I'd expect him to take Hanley's place. Martin is our best centre half at the moment and I don't see any difference between Hanley and the likes of Reynolds.

I don't think either Hanley or Martin are good enough but probably the best we 'be got at the moment. Anyone know how john souttar is progressing?

Injured and still only 17/18. As someone else pointed out, CBs need experience to get to the top level. You will rarely see a world class CB breakthrough before they are 20.

I've got high hopes for Souttar but I also think Hanley has a great deal of potential, too. Although, I've always felt he was a direct replacement for Caldwell. If he has the impact on Scotland that Caldwell had, minus the occasional errors, then we have a very good centre half on our hands.

But, as you said, we would really be hoping for better.

Edited by Tartan blood

Thought Hanley was at fault for the German second goal. Saying that he is the best we have, plays regular for his club at a decent level. He is also playing in his clubs position centre half unlike martin. Out of Greer, berra , martin, Hanley and Reynolds. Its martin and hanleys jerseys at the moment. Mulgrew can also play centre half if required.

So we do have depth but arguably not top top quality in that position.

Hanley and Martin have been the defenders that have stopped us leaking goals. Sure they aren't equal to some of the defenders we have had i the past but they are the best we have and doing a far from bad job for us so do not see why we have the complaints. Sure they may have made the odd mistakes but so have far better defenders in the past for us.

I don't think either Hanley or Martin are good enough but probably the best we 'be got at the moment. Anyone know how john souttar is progressing?

He got injured pre-season. Also Utd brought in we centre halves ( think that was before he got injured). Think his progress has stalled since the Sumderland bid but maybe someone who goes to the Utd games can give us their perspective.........

The last effective partnership we had at the back in my opinion, was McManus and Weir.

To all those that don't rate Russell Martin (who has great for Scotland) and a young player like Hanley, would you rather we go back to the days of Gary Caldwell and Christophe Berra in central defence ? Germany would have been out of sight by end of the first half if those two had been playing.