85 % Turnout Expected - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

85 % Turnout Expected

I think 70-75% absolute best case.... my betting would be 73% on a nice day and 70% or less if it rains....

I think the stories about registrations are true - based on canvassing many from the schemes have registered. I agree a lower turnout (less than 70%) will give us a big win, so hoping for a monsoon. But our lead is pretty solid so not sure it matters.........

High turnout suits Yes much more than No. The over 65s (the most No friendly group by a mile) always vote. We wont see much increase in the vote there. The increase will come from the groups more favouable to Yes. Therefore, any increase in turnout has to be good for Yes.

Exactly. The increase in turnout will come from the young and those in poorer areas. Both more likely to be yes leaning

Starting to hear some disturbing rumours that some Labour controlled councils are playing funny buggers by having failed to register postal vote applications in time and changing the locations of polling stations and not publicising it. Not really one for conspiracy theories but given the panic currently ensuing in the BT camp I wouldn't put anything past them.

Funnily enough, in the past few weeks I have heard quite a few people saying that they are abstaining from the vote.

Mostly people who seem bamboozled by the arguments and counter arguments, to the point where they are saying whatever will be will be. They obviously don't trust themselves to make a decision. Anybody else come across this?

I reckon about 70-75% turn out.

Mostly people who seem bamboozled by the arguments and counter arguments, to the point where they are saying whatever will be will be. They obviously don't trust themselves to make a decision. Anybody else come across this?

I'd like to know where the large "undecided" voters in opinion polls are - I ain't seen many in that camp.

Spoke to an SNP councillor while canvassing and he said (for what its worth)
the higher the turnout the more chance of yes, basically more of the working class will vote yes rather than the usual political classes...

I tend to agree

Funnily enough, in the past few weeks I have heard quite a few people saying that they are abstaining from the vote.

I reckon about 70-75% turn out.

I've met quite a few older folk saying that they wont vote as they think this a decision for the youngsters to take. They say things like "We've had our lives, it's up to the younger folk to decide their own future."

Talking to a Cypriot at Frankfurt Airport yesterday and he wont be voting. He has his polling card, but is half way through a 2 year work contract in Aberdeen and will be returning home to Cyprus after that and doesn't think it would be right to vote.

Talked to an English student on the train the other day, he said he wasn't sure if he should as he didn't think it was really his decision to make. Encouraged him to vote, talked about Scotland's sovreignty traditionally being with its people etc. Of course he'd already told me he'd probably vote yes, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered...

I'm delighted with the Yes voters - and equally happy that some have firmly decided No

- what is really grating on my t*ts just now are the 'don't knows' - after a year and a bit and they are still fannying around a week short of the vote - make up your minds ffs or don't bother voting

I'm delighted with the Yes voters - and equally happy that some have firmly decided No

- what is really grating on my t*ts just now are the 'don't knows' - after a year and a bit and they are still fannying around a week short of the vote - make up your minds ffs or don't bother voting

They might be "undecided" but they are the folk who will "decide" the outcome of the referendum. We need to treat them with respect if we want them to decide to vote YES.

If it turns out to be as high as that (which I doubt) that would be good for democracy. Not sure that a high turnout is good for YES though?

Around 4 million voters in Scotland, 800,000 not registered = 3.2 million voters. Now say there is a 80% turnout, that would make it around 2.56 million voters in total.

Now consider that there is [rumoured] to be around 1.3 people who are committed to voting YES by signing the declaration, that is damn close and your point of a higher turnout could be a game changer in these figures.

I do take comfort in the fact that in my circle of family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues that the vast majority haven't signed the declaration though.

Around 4 million voters in Scotland, 800,000 not registered = 3.2 million voters. Now say there is a 80% turnout, that would make it around 2.56 million voters in total.

Now consider that there is [rumoured] to be around 1.3 people who are committed to voting YES by signing the declaration, that is damn close and your point of a higher turnout could be a game changer in these figures.

I do take comfort in the fact that in my circle of family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues that the vast majority haven't signed the declaration though.

You need to redo your sums. There are 4.2 million registered voters. So we need about 1.7 million YES votes.

I am in two minds about the higher turnout. If it pishin doon with rain and blawin a gale YES voters will probably be more determined to get out and vote. But on the other hand a high turnout means that a lot of folk who normally don't vote will have decided to make the effort this time. I would like to think that most of them will be making the effort because they want change.