Raheem Sterling - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9855933/sterling-to-resume-talks-but-sky-sources-say-he-plans-not-to-sign-new-deal

Looks like he wants to leave. Apparantly he feels bullied into signing a new deal and that the club have "failed to protect him from negative headlines", even though he gave a cringeworthy Football Focus interview without the clubs permission.

Whats your thoughts on him and is he right to want to leave Liverpool at this stage of his career? Personally, I think (like most young English PL players) he is a decent player but vastly over-rated and clearly his ego is getting the better of him given recent performances. Some press have him rumoured to be going to Real Madrid, he ain't good enough for them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a cracking player, very fast and good feet.

Not quite Real Madrid standard, I reckon Arsenal would be a good move for him.

He's a younger, poorer Theo Walcott. Arsenal would be nuts to touch him, especially when any fee will be grossly over-priced.

He's a younger, poorer Theo Walcott. Arsenal would be nuts to touch him, especially when any fee will be grossly over-priced.

Really? I'd say Sterling is slightly better than Walcott. Arsenal were in for him apparently, as are City.

Decent enough player but so far has achieved absolutely nothing.

He's a cocky little shit and is trying to hold Liverpool to ransom. The idea of a 20 year old with potential (but nothing in terms of actual solid achievement) trying to dictate to club of Liverpool's stature is a joke. He should be told to shut up, get back in his corner, start turning in consistent good performances, particularly in the big games, and start helping Liverpool win stuff.

For him to say it's not about the money is laughable.

Sadly he is indicative of young players today. They want all the money and the glory and think that the game owes them everything but without putting in the hard yards first.

Can you imagine the likes of Souness or Fergie putting up with his pathetic demands?

I do think, though, that he is being very badly advised and if he had any sense he'd find himself a decent agent whose primary concern is Sterling's career and not lining his own pockets. I'm sure one must exist somewhere.....greedy agents are yet another sad indictment of the game today.

But if he really wants to go then Liverpool should let him go and then sit back and watch his career go down the pan.

Can you imagine the likes of Souness or Fergie putting up with his pathetic demands?

Wayne Rooney told Man Utd he wanted to leave and join Man City. Man Utd & Ferguson gave him a bumper new contract on a massively increased wage and made him captain.

So i can imagine him putting up with it.

Really? I'd say Sterling is slightly better than Walcott. Arsenal were in for him apparently, as are City.

Neither are as good as Oxlade Chamberlain. I just dont see the value to Arsenal in signing him.

That's almost exactly what I was going to say.

Edited by Fairbairn

According to Liverpool he's going nowhere. Got 2 years on his contract and they will let him stew.

Personally I think he should be punted for any money they can get for him. He is decent with potential to be great but has done nothing all season when the chips were down.

If he thinks he is worth so much money then better he proves it on the pitch instead of with his mouth.

Edited by Jagtag

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9855933/sterling-to-resume-talks-but-sky-sources-say-he-plans-not-to-sign-new-deal

Looks like he wants to leave. Apparantly he feels bullied into signing a new deal and that the club have "failed to protect him from negative headlines", even though he gave a cringeworthy Football Focus interview without the clubs permission.

Whats your thoughts on him and is he right to want to leave Liverpool at this stage of his career? Personally, I think (like most young English PL players) he is a decent player but vastly over-rated and clearly his ego is getting the better of him given recent performances. Some press have him rumoured to be going to Real Madrid, he ain't good enough for them.

I would imagine most people wouldnt turn down a guaranteed 100k a week for five years plus a fat signing on fee unless there was considerably more on offer from somewhere else ?. He might be a cocky little scrote but fair play to him the highlight of my week has been carragher getting all upset at liverpool being dictated to. Presumably the 100's of kids that Liverpool dictate to that they arent good enough have to lump it and get on with it, a bit going back the other way might make them realise where they currently sit in the scheme of things !!

Thought Caragher was right to point out he went missing in the fa cup semi final and didn't do much in the champions league

But fair play to him if he wants to move. He's too inconsistent to get a regular game at a better team but only 20 so will likely improve.

Liverpool took him from QPR at 15, okay they developed him but will get a decent transfer fee if he goes so no sympathy there

I would imagine most people wouldnt turn down a guaranteed 100k a week for five years plus a fat signing on fee unless there was considerably more on offer from somewhere else ?. He might be a cocky little scrote but fair play to him the highlight of my week has been carragher getting all upset at liverpool being dictated to. Presumably the 100's of kids that Liverpool dictate to that they arent good enough have to lump it and get on with it, a bit going back the other way might make them realise where they currently sit in the scheme of things !!

I'm impressed you could tell that's what Carragher was saying. I heard it in the background and thought it was a Spectrum ZX81 loading!

The line being briefed 'off the record' by Sterling's agent is that he has badly fallen out with one of the backroom staff (possibly Pascoe or Marsh).

Given that there are rumblings that Rodgers is likely to be sacked in the next couple of weeks, I'll be interested to see how that line changes.

He is pacey but his final ball and shooting is some way short of the elite level. But he is only 20.

He actually played a lot better last season than he has this season

Thought Caragher was right to point out he went missing in the fa cup semi final and didn't do much in the champions league

But fair play to him if he wants to move. He's too inconsistent to get a regular game at a better team but only 20 so will likely improve.

Liverpool took him from QPR at 15, okay they developed him but will get a decent transfer fee if he goes so no sympathy there

He's also went missing in some big PL games this season, particularly post-Christmas i.e. United at home and Arsenal away.

Better than Walcott IMO. As mentioned above has much better feet. Walcott relies on his pace a bit too much for my liking.

According to Liverpool he's going nowhere. Got 2 years on his contract and they will let him stew.

They won't though, they will either do a deal with him or sell him as its business. Almost any club would do the same though.

They won't though, they will either do a deal with him or sell him as its business. Almost any club would do the same though.

I'd love to see him left to rot in the reserves though.

In fact, I'd love to see any club do this with a 'billy big boots' player.

There is no need for all the off-the-record press briefing that has been going on with Sterling, especially given that the balance of power now lies with the player in the post-Bosman era.

Edited by tartandon

I'm impressed you could tell that's what Carragher was saying. I heard it in the background and thought it was a Spectrum ZX81 loading!

Two different machines. ZX81 was the pre-cursor to the Spectrum and came in 1K and 16K (with expansion pack) versions. Pretty sure it didn't have any kind of sound. I suspect you mean the Spectrum, it made horrendous whining noises when loading.

You're welcome.