Operation 'stop The Treble' - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Operation 'stop The Treble'

Every team has been on the wrong end of some appalling refereeing that costs their team crucial League points or progress in a Cup competition, every team has been angry at the time with justification, but only one team claims there is an agenda and they are the team who have, arguably, benefitted most from refereeing blunders. The PR pish about writing a letter for clarification every time a decision goes against them is childish and embarrassing. Here's clarification - the ref and his assistant made a balls-up of a simple call, they made a mistake, they didn't do it intentionally, they were just shite at their job.

The only thing Celtic are "victims" of is shocking refereeing - join the club and get over it!

Nah, not true.

When mistakes have gone against every other team, in every other league in the whole world, as will happen every week, it's simply a mistake.

When it happens to Celtic, it's a co-ordinated conspiracy, which, seeing as Peter Lawell is on the Professional Game Board, must make him part of this conspiracy against Celtic too.

Seriously though, Celtic and others would do well to look at what Derek McInnes had to say when Aberdeen didn't get a penalty at Dens Park, whilst 1-0 up and ended up drawing 1-1:

McInnes said: "It was such a pivotal moment. It's a blatant penalty. It has cost us today because they've managed to get an equaliser after that.

"It's not all down to the referee, though, that we haven't won the game as we're still in a good position at 1-0.

"We had an excellent start and Dundee were forced into playing like an away team.

"I thought we were in charge of the game but gave Dundee encouragement by being a bit ponderous in the second half.

"The only time they really threatened us in the first half was when we were guilty of giving away cheap possession. It's something we spoke about at half-time.

"Rooney showed real strength and tenacity to get the ball into the net to put us ahead. It was a fantastic finish and I thought were looking at strong at that point.

"We had umpteen set-plays but we've been here before. In the second half, we let Dundee back into the game and the pitch didn't help.

"But from the minute Dundee got their equaliser I thought they were worthy of the point to be fair."

Edited by Cove_Sheep

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been amusing to see all the outraged Celtic fans all over social media.

I suppose had it happened to Stirling Albion in a cup semi-final (I know, I know) I'd be raging too. So it's not the outrage that's funny - that's probably to be expected.

It's the conspiracy theories that are fueling the outrage that put a smile on my coupon.

The rest of us, we'd be spitting feathers and calling into question the competence of the officials.

But not (some) Celtic fans. It's all about them. Even when it isn't.

We would all be raging at any poor decisions that cost our team no matter how important the game But we just have to accept it and move on.

What is so funny is that Celtic seem to get 99% of these poor decisions in their favour and on the odd occasion it goes against them all hell breaks loose.

Fletcher scoring in Cardiff anyone? Should we have wrote to Fifa, Uefa, the UN and God telling them about the blatant cheating by the officials?

Fletcher scoring in Cardiff anyone? Should we have wrote to Fifa, Uefa, the UN and God telling them about the blatant cheating by the officials?

Nah, as that goal should always have been disallowed (although for a different reason than the one it was chalked off for).

Yup. Steven McLean's incompetence denied my team 2nd in the league last season and a place int he League Cup Final this season.

I don't seriously think he's cheated us, i just think he's a shite ref.

He's unbelievably shite for us too.

Used to think it was because his dad played 100s of games for us and he was trying not to show bias but I think he's just crap.

We would all be raging at any poor decisions that cost our team no matter how important the game But we just have to accept it and move on.

What is so funny is that Celtic seem to get 99% of these poor decisions in their favour and on the odd occasion it goes against them all hell breaks loose.

Linesman did us a favour.

Great statement.

The official apparently said penalty penalty. So why did ex Rangers season ticket holder Maclean not award it?

no he didn't, he told the ref he thought the ball had hit the defender on the head. Absolutely embarrassing statement from celtic after all the calls that go their way. I presume now Inverness will demand an explanation why they never got a penalty in the 2nd half

It was a shocking decision, it's one of the more blatant handballs you'll see.

Given the number of penalties given where the player knows little or nothing about it, makes it more unbelievable.

The fact that between the referee and his 2 assistants at that end they didn't see it is pretty staggering.

BUT

There's no conspiracy, it's just an honest mistake. Referees make mistakes all the time, as do players. Some are more high profile and costly than others. They can be baffling, frustrating and surreal, but they're part of the game.

Celtic are pathetic, if they had any class they'd say it was a mistake, it's probably cost us, but these things happen now let's move on. Instead they are stoking up the paranoid victim mentality of a large section of their support. They know fine well that these guys are now going to be hounded in their work and private lives until the loonies get bored, or they see heads roll.

I do think McLean is a very poor referee, who seems particularly adept at getting at least one huge decision wrong in every major game that he's given.

Probably not his fault. He's been over-promoted and fast-tracked by the SFA who see him as a poster boy for referee recruitment.

I do think McLean is a very poor referee, who seems particularly adept at getting at least one huge decision wrong in every major game that he's given.

Probably not his fault. He's been over-promoted and fast-tracked by the SFA who see him as a poster boy for referee recruitment.

I quite like him!

:P

I'm not going to kid on that 99/100 times, the referee is giving a foul for John Sutton jumping into Jamie Langfield, but if it's 2 midfielders in the centre circle it's not a foul more often than not. At least there's an element of interpretation in there.

I quite like him!

:P

I'm not going to kid on that 99/100 times, the referee is giving a foul for John Sutton jumping into Jamie Langfield, but if it's 2 midfielders in the centre circle it's not a foul more often than not. At least there's an element of interpretation in there.

To be fair, elbowing someone in the throat/face is always a foul. Regardless of who does it and where it happens.

Yup. Steven McLean's incompetence denied my team 2nd in the league last season and a place int he League Cup Final this season.

I don't seriously think he's cheated us, i just think he's a shite ref.

He also didn't give ICT a stonewaller in the last minute of the League Cup final, so Aberdeen have benefitted from him too....