Sturgeon Backs Cameron? - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sturgeon Backs Cameron?

Exclusive: SNP defector remains a member of the SNP and says he supports Labour-SNP deal

Daily Record claim that Shoaib has "resigned from SNP in disgust" is debunked

A YES campaigner who was reported as "defecting" to the Labour party by the Daily Record in a much-hyped front page splash has said he in fact remains a member of the SNP, a supporter of independence and favourable to a Labour-SNP deal at Westminster.

On Tuesday, the Daily Record ran a front-page story (click here to read) claiming that Nicola Sturgeon had suffered a "major setback" after activist Muhammad Shoaib was said to have joined the Labour party.

Hyping the story up, the tabloid title branded Shoaib an 'SNP boss', although it is unclear why. Shoaib is a former Labour councillor and organiser of Scots Asians for Independence. He joined the SNP in 2007.

However, Shoaib has told CommonSpace that while he does want to see a Labour government ahead of the Tories - he would like to see Labour and the SNP work together in a "loose" arrangement following Mays vote.

"Basically, Ive not joined Labour and Im still officially a member of the SNP," said Shoaib.

Shoaib claimed that he has been under significant "community pressure" and that his position has not changed from 2010 when he also said he would like to see a Labour government at Westminster.

"Ive been under a lot of community pressure to come out and say that I support a Labour government. But in 2010 election, I went on BBC and was asked which party do you support in England and my answer was same as I gave to the Daily Record yesterday."

When asked what his prefered outcome would be for the 7 May election, Shoaib said that one party would in government would create more "stability".

However, he stated that he was favourable towards a Labour-SNP post-election pact.

Shaoib said: "Obviously it is one of my wishes that both parties should work together in some sort of loose arrangement.

"Both parties have made it clear they dont want a coalition, but they can decide on vote by vote basis.

"They could give a more positive government to give our children a better future."

The Daily Record claimed that Shoaib believed SNP members secretly wanted a Conservative victory in May's election.

However, when speaking to CommonSpace, Shoaib failed to confirm this. Instead, he raised concerns that implicit SNP support for the Green party in England would help the Tories.

Shoaib, who has previously been a Labour councillor, put his name forward as an SNP candidate for Westminster earlier this year but lost out in a selection battle to Alison Thewliss.

In December 2014, Shoaib had been critical of Scottish Labour leader Jim Murphy, commenting that he is a "no go area" for Muslims.

He was quoted in the Herald at the time as saying: "Jim Murphy - his past is basically supporting an illegal war in Iraq. He never came out and condemned the Gaza bombings. From a Muslim perspective, those were unforgivable."

When CommonSpace asked Shoaib if he felt Murphy was the right man to lead Scottish Labour, he said: "Im not a member of the Labour party so I cant comment on that."

Shaoib, who is an organiser of Scots Asians for Independence, insisted that he remains a committed supporter of Scottish independence.

"I still hold independence close to my heart. I will still work for Yes whenever the opportunity arises," he told CommonSpace.

According to opinion polls, the SNP is set to significantly increase its seats at the forthcoming election and with a hung parliament likely, Labour may be relient on its support in order to form a government.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More mainstream media bollocks clearly designed to try and derail the SNP because they're shit scared that they're going to runaway with the seats up here. The red and blue Tories trying to use the SNP against each other to get votes when the reality is the SNP have no interest in being a coalition with either.

They're claiming a deliberate attack, bollocks :lol:, they just weren't prepared for high level traffic.

Very clearly. They don't have techies running their website so Im not convinced they'd really know how to differentiate a DDOS attack and a sudden spike in load. I'll be happy for them to prove me wrong, but it almost always looks mental to claim DDOS attack - it diverts attention from the fact that a huge number of people want to read your story.

Very clearly. They don't have techies running their website so Im not convinced they'd really know how to differentiate a DDOS attack and a sudden spike in load. I'll be happy for them to prove me wrong, but it almost always looks mental to claim DDOS attack - it diverts attention from the fact that a huge number of people want to read your story.

:ok:

Looking online there is quite a few quotes attributed to him, putting the boot into Jim Murphy etc, it's really hard to win a propaganda war against clued up folk in this day and age with social media, everyone having access to archives and freedom of information requests etc.

I think even Tony Blair said his biggest mistake was the Freedom of information act.

On here loads of folk are politically aware as is a lot of the Scottish electorate.

I got my wires crossed, Jonathon Shafi is confusing me, it was Scots Asians for yes who said they never worked with him.

Scots Asians for Independence apparently don't have any online presence, which is a bit surprising in this day and age.

They do have a banner, as I've seen a picture of it, but that could be photo-shopped.

The key question still remains unanswered though - Is any of this on YouTube?