Simonsen - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Robinson in nets tomorrow then?

I'd assume so. I read something earlier in the week saying Bell had stepped up his training but I'd assume it's a bit too early for him. I'd give young Liam Kelly a chance but that's never going to happen on Clipboard Kenny's watch!

Rules are rules, the players know this rule and should be punished for infringing it. But it does seem like a ridiculous rule though no betting on football anywhere in the world, only the SFA could come up with this.

Not really.

It closes off any grey areas.

Any player who got done for this after Ian Black is an utter thicko.

Not really.

It closes off any grey areas.

Any player who got done for this after Ian Black is an utter thicko.

I don't see how there can be any grey areas. You are not allowed to bet in any games involving teams from the same association as the one you play for. There, black and white. You can bet on EPL or European games not involving Scottish teams to your hearts content. I don't see why Black, Simonsen at all can't have a wee punt on Perth Glory vs Aussie FC if they want to?

I don't see how there can be any grey areas. You are not allowed to bet in any games involving teams from the same association as the one you play for. There, black and white. You can bet on EPL or European games not involving Scottish teams to your hearts content. I don't see why Black, Simonsen at all can't have a wee punt on Perth Glory vs Aussie FC if they want to?

What if they place a season long bet i.e. Norwich to win the championship in England, then transfer down south and come up against Norwich and Norwich's rivals for the title.

At the time they made the bet, they were betting on something they weren't involved in. They subsequently became involved in that tournament.

It's hardly difficult for a player to not to bet on football FFS.

What if they place a season long bet i.e. Norwich to win the championship in England, then transfer down south and come up against Norwich and Norwich's rivals for the title.

At the time they made the bet, they were betting on something they weren't involved in. They subsequently became involved in that tournament.

It's hardly difficult for a player to not to bet on football FFS.

How big would the bet have to have that short of influence?

Agree with the utter thick assertion but still think the blanket ban is rather draconian.

I agree, but to be Devils advocate, I suppose it could throw up grey areas like the example given (are the rules as strict in other countries? If not, it would seem pointless, as the Norwich player that came the other way in this imaginary deal could have bet on hibs to win promotion for example while a Norwich player).

Or I suppose Keith Lasley having a punt on the Uefa cup final would break the rules, because 10 months earlier he was playing in that tournament (and losing to fishermen and carpenters from Iceland).

As far as I can see it, the rather sensible approach was taken at the point of the Ian black case to turn a blind eye to any past minor offences (ie betting on other competitions), punish any obvious serious offences, (ie Ian black or the Ayr boy Moffat?), but make the rules clear and enforce them from Ian black onwards.

As we all agree, anyone caught after Ian black only had themselves to blame, anyone before I'm surmising has been given an unofficial amnesty.

Seems a bit harsh since he was only using his team's sponsor's product.

I felt this was one of the weakest arguments against the rules.

The scottish cup was sponsored by Tennents for years, as well as many other teams being sponsored by alcohol, and with a few exceptions, nobody was playing half jaked or advocating it.