Series Worth Watching - Page 101 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the 2nd season of the Tourist last night meh, not sure it really needed to be made tbh. Not a spoiler but there’s nae way the Irish spanky bum guy is going to be pumping the fat Aussie lass it’s his memory he’s lost not his fucking eyesight 

Watched the first series of The Traitors ( uk version) over the last week or so as I never saw it when it was originally released. 
I am not normally that keen on reality tv game format , The Apprentice for example has long lost its appeal for me, and am not a fan of Claudia Winkleman either ,  but I really enjoyed it and thought she was really good in it too.
The format worked well and had enough twists to keep it interesting. It did the Scottish tourist industry little harm either. The setting and scenery were breathtaking at times. 
Not sure whether to watch the current series. With this type of programme sometimes its better to stop than risk it becoming repetitive and familiar . 

Fool Me Once (Netflix) really tries to be way too clever, with too many twists and irrelevant sub plots for my liking. Mrs Slasher and I were left wondering how we managed to stick with it for 8 episodes by the end 👎

20 hours ago, slasher said:

Fool Me Once (Netflix) really tries to be way too clever, with too many twists and irrelevant sub plots for my liking. Mrs Slasher and I were left wondering how we managed to stick with it for 8 episodes by the end 👎

I've thought that about a couple of the Harlan Coben series on Netflix.  We started watching Fool Me...last night so I'll see how long we last.  Mr Bates vs The Post Office is an excellent, if infuriating watch.  The way those people were treated is criminal.

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The first season was brilliant but I didn't like the 2nd the same. 

Thats often the case with tv shows. With a few exceptions.

I enjoyed the second series too, I thought the ending was good , but agree it wasn’t as good as the first. 

Fool me Once  certainly didn't fool me. It  really was poor. Terrible character placement. The whole army connection thing seemed very lazy and poorly thought out. Gave up after episode three.

Edited by EddardStark

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

True Detective Series 4 is now on Sky. Has received good ratings. Loved the first couple of series. 

Aye they’re in my top 10, will binge the new series over a weekend. Without a spoiler it looks from the trailer there’s a connection with the first season 

4 hours ago, dan cake said:

Aye they’re in my top 10, will binge the new series over a weekend. Without a spoiler it looks from the trailer there’s a connection with the first season 

Looking forward to this tonight too. Didn't enjoy second or third series as much but the first did set a high standard! The cast looks great, loved Christopher Eccleston in The Leftovers so hope he's a good character here too. 

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

Just finished season 5 of Fargo, pretty much in the same vain as the other seasons but enjoyable enough. Jon Hamm plays a good (bad) character well, Juno Temple and Jennifer Jason Leigh are excellent 

I really enjoyed all the FARGO seasons, I'm hoping for more, I would love to visit Minnesota to be honest.

I watched Fool Me Once to the end and I'm not really sure why.  Given I watched the other Netflix/Harlan Coben series (The Stranger?) and it was of similar quality, the irony in the name of this one hasn't escaped me!

1 hour ago, glasgow jock said:

Just finished the complete box set (that was a Christmas present) of the Soprano's - absolute perfection, if there has ever been a better series produced anywhere then I've got to see it.

The Wire and The Shield are just as good imo and if you can handle subtitles then I’d say Gomorrah and Narco’s are actually better. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul also won’t disappoint 

Edited by dan cake

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

The Wire and The Shield are just as good imo and if you can handle subtitles then I’d say Gomorrah and Narco’s are actually better 

Cheers DC, shall keep a look out for the first two !!

1 hour ago, Clootie Dumpling said:

I really enjoyed all the FARGO seasons, I'm hoping for more, I would love to visit Minnesota to be honest.

It’s so well written even Ewan McGregor and Tim from the office put in excellent performances, Minnesota would be so disappointing if everyone wasn’t quirky with a strange way of talking 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I watched Fool Me Once to the end and I'm not really sure why.  Given I watched the other Netflix/Harlan Coben series (The Stranger?) and it was of similar quality, the irony in the name of this one hasn't escaped me!

Aye, absolute pile of shite. One episode was more than enough for me. Binned.

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

It’s so well written even Ewan McGregor and Tim from the office put in excellent performances, Minnesota would be so disappointing if everyone wasn’t quirky with a strange way of talking 

Agreed, love it when they are speaking. :)

On 1/8/2024 at 11:29 AM, TDYER63 said:

Watched the first series of The Traitors ( uk version) over the last week or so as I never saw it when it was originally released. 
Not sure whether to watch the current series. With this type of programme sometimes its better to stop than risk it becoming repetitive and familiar . 

Not sure what you decided but I'm watching the second series and enjoying it more than the first. Couple of little twists that have kept it interesting. Agree that it will probably fall away if there's a third or fourth series. I'm sure it's not everybody's cup of tea but if you enjoyed the first one I'd recommend watching the second one too.

Watched a few things during and after Christmas. The best by far was Slow Horses which I thought was excellent, Gary Oldman is superb in it. Don't think I've seen it mentioned on here but it's definitely worth watching.