Series Worth Watching - Page 98 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

20 hours ago, aaid said:

I was indeed, it was certainly a bit of a surreal experience.   From speaking to people after the game the club had about a week’s notice that the owners would be there but were asked to keep it quiet.  The club couldn’t speak highly enough of the film crew who they described as very professional.  The two owners were great as well apparently, very low key and no attitude.  I have to admit I was a bit non-plus see about it.

It was a real “Welcome to the National League” for them including having a man sent off and losing 2-1 - we actually have a decent record against Wrexham - to chants of “Ryan Reynolds, You bought the wrong club” and “Maidenhead are on a bender, Ryan Reynolds is a sex offender” from a bunch of 16 year olds.

That evening though was summed up to me by the fact that after the game, the Wrexham contingent went to Cliveden House Hotel, where they were staying.  That’s an old stately home that has been owned by various people over the years, most notably the Astors and features very heavily in the Profumo affair.  It’s now an exclusive 5 star hotel.

After the game we went into the clubhouse, had a couple of pints and then went to get the train up the branch line.  Got onto the platform and bumped into to our owner - who despite being seriously loaded himself is one of the most down to earth guys you could meet - is standing there with a can of Fosters and he’s all “whay hey hey, we fucking beat them”

In the documentary you heard the ‘you bought the wrong club’ chant but unsurprisingly not the other one . 

Even if you were unfazed by it all its still fairly interesting to have been there, and its definitely a sporting fairytale type thing for Wrexham. As I say I really dont know how this pans out,  I can’t believe I never heard anything about it before now. I think they have made a good job of the documentary.

Guy in my work was telling me he was on a short holiday somewhere close to Wrexham with his girlfriend , just around the time they took over. His girlfriend was a big Ryan Reynolds fan and asked if they could pop by Wrexham just to take a look .
He said they stopped at a burger van and the guy serving was saying he had met the owners and they seemed decent. My colleague was thinking’ aye right’, why would a guy serving in a burger van have met them. My colleague then asked him if he thought the pub would mind if he used the loo. He said, ‘no problem, just tell them Wayne said it was ok. I own the pub. ‘
My colleague thinking this guy was a Walter Mitty. 
A couple of years later he is watching the documentary and who doesn’t pop up and feature in a large part of the documentary but Wayne, owner of the pub.  😁

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

In the documentary you heard the ‘you bought the wrong club’ chant but unsurprisingly not the other one . 

Even if you were unfazed by it all its still fairly interesting to have been there, and its definitely a sporting fairytale type thing for Wrexham. As I say I really dont know how this pans out,  I can’t believe I never heard anything about it before now. I think they have made a good job of the documentary.

Guy in my work was telling me he was on a short holiday somewhere close to Wrexham with his girlfriend , just around the time they took over. His girlfriend was a big Ryan Reynolds fan and asked if they could pop by Wrexham just to take a look .
He said they stopped at a burger van and the guy serving was saying he had met the owners and they seemed decent. My colleague was thinking’ aye right’, why would a guy serving in a burger van have met them. My colleague then asked him if he thought the pub would mind if he used the loo. He said, ‘no problem, just tell them Wayne said it was ok. I own the pub. ‘
A couple of years later he is watching the documentary and who doesn’t pop up and feature in a large part of the documentary but Wayne, owner of the pub.  😁

That would be Wayne that owns the Turf Hotel next to the ground.  He’s a Liverpool fan.

I’m not going to pretend that the owners haven’t been anything but good for the club but you’re only seeing a very one-sided view of the story with the documentary - which is understandable.

The actual club and the people there are fine but I’m glad they got promoted as the whole soap opera surrounding Wrexham was very tiresome, particularly the fans, not so much the 3-4000 that were going before the new owners came in but those who came after.  

On 9/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, aaid said:

That would be Wayne that owns the Turf Hotel next to the ground.  He’s a Liverpool fan.

I’m not going to pretend that the owners haven’t been anything but good for the club but you’re only seeing a very one-sided view of the story with the documentary - which is understandable.

The actual club and the people there are fine but I’m glad they got promoted as the whole soap opera surrounding Wrexham was very tiresome, particularly the fans, not so much the 3-4000 that were going before the new owners came in but those who came after.  

Realy, a Liverpool fan ? 😂 He is made out to be a hard core Wrexham fan. 
As you say, it will be very one sided, its a Hollywood tv show , they will only show what they want to. Its pretty benign though, most folk watching it are just interested in the rags to riches story even if there is a lot of bullshit mixed in. 

They do however mention the hooliganism,  particularly when the fan numbers increased , they didn’t try to gloss over that at all. Rangers and Celtic got a bit part in that episode too ……

Been watching Jury Duty on Amazon Prime. Have seen 3 episodes so far, its pretty funny .

Its about a court trial in America, starts of with the jury being chosen then the court case. However the whole thing is a set up with only 1 jury member being genuine . The rest of the people taking part in the whole thing are actors. All but one of them are totally unknown actors so the genuine guy believes they are all normal people who have been chosen as jury members along with him.  
The fact one actor is actually high profile makes it all the funnier . I am not giving anything away here . this is all known from the outset. 

'The Long Shadow' about Peter Sutcliffe has been good. Could easily have been sensationalist but I don't think it was. My wife was a student near Bradford at the time so brought back a few memories. Sutcliffe obviously died a few years back but many affected by his actions are still alive.

24 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

'The Long Shadow' about Peter Sutcliffe has been good. Could easily have been sensationalist but I don't think it was. My wife was a student near Bradford at the time so brought back a few memories. Sutcliffe obviously died a few years back but many affected by his actions are still alive.

How does it compare to "This is Personal - The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper" with Alun Armstrong as George Oldfield ?

That was an excellent two parter that focused mainly on the men leading the investigation -its on Youtube btw

42 minutes ago, slasher said:

Who’s all watching the return of Big Brother then?

Not me - everything had it's time and place

I only ever religiously watched Big Brother 6 mainly because nearly all the girls had massive chebs but it turned out to be the best ever and has never been beaten - it had everything 

I remember i fell out with Neil R on here because of it and the spat lasted for ages until Khreigh's (sic) "death"

28 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not me - everything had it's time and place

I only ever religiously watched Big Brother 6 mainly because nearly all the girls had massive chebs but it turned out to be the best ever and has never been beaten - it had everything 

I remember i fell out with Neil R on here because of it and the spat lasted for ages until Khreigh's (sic) "death"

Haha that’s hilarious 😂

I tend to agree with you that it had had its day but I always felt that if someone took it on and could do it properly it could be revived.

Unfortunately, on early viewing it looks like a box ticking exercise has been completed in terms of housemate selection however I’m going to give it a chance.

I did laugh at the comment from the lone Scottish housemate ‘fuck sake two bottles of Prosecco between the lot of us?. How’d they expect that to last?’ 😂

If Mrs Slasher had  been first in there would have been fuck all Prosecco for the rest of them 😃

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Haha that’s hilarious 😂

I tend to agree with you that it had had its day but I always felt that if someone took it on and could do it properly it could be revived.

Unfortunately, on early viewing it looks like a box ticking exercise has been completed in terms of housemate selection however I’m going to give it a chance.

I did laugh at the comment from the lone Scottish housemate ‘fuck sake two bottles of Prosecco between the lot of us?. How’d they expect that to last?’ 😂

If Mrs Slasher had  been first in there would have been fuck all Prosecco for the rest of them 😃

Ha Ha

The unique thing about it back then was the long spells of live feed split between C4 and E4

It was in the Summer so there was usually fuck all on most of the time and you could watch it all afternoon, then all evening, then night

You could watch the tasks live as well as the sporadic fights and pool nudity - they only cut away if it crossed the line

I'll always remember the black wide boy called Science who had taken the hump with most of the others including the two white fellas

In an argument he referred to them as tweedle dum, tweedle dee and tweedle twat - then another handbags at 40 paces ensued

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

How does it compare to "This is Personal - The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper" with Alun Armstrong as George Oldfield ?

That was an excellent two parter that focused mainly on the men leading the investigation -its on Youtube btw

Can't compare it I'm afraid as I've never seen it but thanks for the recommendation. 

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Can't compare it I'm afraid as I've never seen it but thanks for the recommendation. 

Probably the most complete and truthful watch on the events is a BBC Documentary by Liza Williams called The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story that you should try and watch after both shows 

You wont be long in losing your sympathy for the heads of the Investigation inquiry team

I've looked and it's no longer available on IPlayer but it is an incredible watch showing how Men focused (wrongly) on the victim profile and unbelievably repeated the same mistakes as the original Jack The Ripper case

Edited by Ally Bongo

38 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You wont be long in losing your sympathy for the heads of the Investigation inquiry team

I've looked and it's no longer available on IPlayer but it is an incredible watch showing how Men focused (wrongly) on the victim profile and unbelievably repeated the same mistakes as the original Jack The Ripper case

That came across in 'The Long Shadow' as well. You can't necessarily doubt the effort put in by the police but those at the top were far too rigid and inflexible in the way they tackled the investigation. You think of the changes that have taken place since then, ANPR, computer databases, increased use of DNA, so the police had a tough task but the contempt for prostitutes (rather than the punters) and the all-pervading sexism and racism handicapped the investigation.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:47 AM, TDYER63 said:

quite enjoyed the series

Sunderland til i die ; is still light years ahead though

- i also have a confession ; in watching the entire "Beckham" series

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

quite enjoyed the series

Sunderland til i die ; is still light years ahead though

- i also have a confession ; in watching the entire "Beckham" series

Never seen Sunderland till I die , will give it a go 👍

I would rather pull my eyelashes out one by one than watch the Beckham series 😂  It was bad enough seeing him in a bit part in the Wrexham documentary. I dont particularly dislike him , I just cannot be bothered with the circus surrounding their lifestyle .

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just watched "Lupin" season 3 ; back to what it was in season 1

light hearted ; Mr Ben meets Mission Impossible type caper

Lupin is a big hit in this house. It’s one of the few things we can watch together as a family these days!

On 10/8/2023 at 10:43 PM, Hertsscot said:

Binge watched it and while it is more expansive and focuses more on the victims and their families i think This Is Personal is far better but wrongly more sympathetic to the Ripper Squad

David Morrissey was also miscast for George Oldfield

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Binge watched it and while it is more expansive and focuses more on the victims and their families i think This Is Personal is far better but wrongly more sympathetic to the Ripper Squad

David Morrissey was also miscast for George Oldfield

have loved watching David Morrissey all the way back from 'one summer' early 80s - pretty sure am same age as him

Red Riding was a good series , he was a reporter in that i think

- currently watching 'the reckoning ' tough going ; Steve Coogan very good in the part

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

have loved watching David Morrissey all the way back from 'one summer' early 80s - pretty sure am same age as him

Snap except i'm 3 years younger

Managed to buy the DVD of One Summer a few years ago - One of the best TV series ever made

His acting was fine in The Long Shadow however Alun Armstrong was far better cast

value.webp.736321dd74ac00d866a171e29ebf9a43.webp

JS66076029.thumb.webp.d5a777ea886fc6f68061d07f66deb9a5.webp

image.jpeg.b9a8214914374082e883f348f73ad23b.jpeg

Not a TV series but I watched In the name of Gerry Conlon last night. 

Its mental that the files on the Guildford 4, Maguire 7 and Birmingham 6 are shut for 75 years to protect the arseholes who put these innocent people in prison

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Snap except i'm 3 years younger

Managed to buy the DVD of One Summer a few years ago - One of the best TV series ever made

His acting was fine in The Long Shadow however Alun Armstrong was far better cast

value.webp.736321dd74ac00d866a171e29ebf9a43.webp

JS66076029.thumb.webp.d5a777ea886fc6f68061d07f66deb9a5.webp

image.jpeg.b9a8214914374082e883f348f73ad23b.jpeg

Yeah saw the alun armstrong one when it came out

i ll watch out for the long shadow

i saw Sherwood on iplayer on a recent home trip 

am sure was a tv series in early 2000s with him and ‘Ickey’ actor from one summer where they were in italy ; i just switched on in middle of it

tv dramas are something the north americans cant seem to do ; cheesy tv movie stuff or big budget mini series

15 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yeah saw the alun armstrong one when it came out

i ll watch out for the long shadow

i saw Sherwood on iplayer on a recent home trip 

am sure was a tv series in early 2000s with him and ‘Ickey’ actor from one summer where they were in italy ; i just switched on in middle of it

tv dramas are something the north americans cant seem to do ; cheesy tv movie stuff or big budget mini series

Couldnt find that on IMDB but found this