Sectarian Singing - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation

If "the authorities" want to stamp out sectarianism then it's dead easy. Announce a crackdown on that very problem and get on with identifying culprits and if clubs don't co-operate then punish them instead. Once that's solved we can move on to sorting out the next biggest problem, whatever it may be.

Where would we be regarding racism if we hadn't decided it was unacceptable without cracking down on all other offensive behaviour going on at that time too?

Edited by wee-toon-red

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks!

I've done just that and been threatened for it. I got no backup from Stewards or Police so why should I do it again?

As you've said these people are scum, so they wouldn't be shy of kicking your head in if they felt like it.

The authorities need to take the lead.

Your fellow supporters not back you up?

I see you don't have an answer. It seems you want to sanction Celtic and Rangers but everyone else is OK because that's just banter.

Now we're seeing your true colours.

I want to sanction any club whose fans sing sectarian songs (note the title of this thread). You're aware that the Old Firm are amongst the main offenders so have been defensive throughout and persistently trying to throw songs about child abuse in an attempt to dilute the issue.

No need to be so defensive, Hibs and Hearts have also been guilty in the past.

Time to join the 21st Century.

Now we're seeing your true colours.

I want to sanction any club whose fans sing sectarian songs (note the title of this thread). You're aware that the Old Firm are amongst the main offenders so have been defensive throughout and persistently trying to throw songs about child abuse in an attempt to dilute the issue.

No need to be so defensive, Hibs and Hearts have also been guilty in the past.

Time to join the 21st Century.

I've condemmed sectarian singing many times on this board, if we're guilty of it I'll accept the punishment. Renfrewblue has said the same many times on this thread. But you want to ignore any such behaviour that you can't attach the word "sectarian" to, even though some of the stuff other clubs supporters sing is equally offensive. So, I'll ask again. Is fenian bassa worse than paedo bassa? I've been on the receiving end of both many times at football matches, and not just from Rangers fans.

I've condemmed sectarian singing many times on this board, if we're guilty of it I'll accept the punishment. Renfrewblue has said the same many times on this thread. But you want to ignore any such behaviour that you can't attach the word "sectarian" to, even though some of the stuff other clubs supporters sing is equally offensive. So, I'll ask again. Is fenian bassa worse than paedo bassa? I've been on the receiving end of both many times at football matches, and not just from Rangers fans.

Is the occurrence of one a reason not to address the poison of the other?

No, that's my point. Goozay seems to want to punish Celtic and Rangers and ignore everyone else. All team's supporters should be treated equally.

I don't think that IS your point.

The subject under discussion is sectarianism.

You want to widen it out into general abuse.

But that's not the subject under discussion.

Let's deal with the poisonous bile that is sectarianism, then let's move on to other stuff. That's a plan, eh?

No, that's my point. Goozay seems to want to punish Celtic and Rangers and ignore everyone else. All team's supporters should be treated equally.

I'm not ignoring anyone!

Anyone singing sectarian songs should be punished. Why does that unfairly punish Celtic and Rangers?

Bollocks!

I've done just that and been threatened for it. I got no backup from Stewards or Police so why should I do it again?

As you've said these people are scum, so they wouldn't be shy of kicking your head in if they felt like it.

The authorities need to take the lead.

Why go to Rangers games if you hate sectarian singing? It's like me going into McDonalds and moaning there's not much for vegans.

I don't think that IS your point.

The subject under discussion is sectarianism.

You want to widen it out into general abuse.

But that's not the subject under discussion.

Let's deal with the poisonous bile that is sectarianism, then let's move on to other stuff. That's a plan, eh?

Why not do both?

Why not do both?

You can do both - just don't expect one action or strategy to achieve both. Don't expect both to be eradicated at the same time and don't expect everyone to give equal weighting to both.

And don't think because one is being addressed that the other never will.

Wouldn't disagree with that. Neither would I criticise the attempts to deal with one before the other.

This.

Sectarianism needs to be tackled NOW either on its own or as part of a wider crackdown in unacceptable behaviour at football in Scotland. The fact that in 2015 people can sing certain songs and act in an anti social way and other fans don't blink an eye lid and they get away with it is embarrassing.

Do you think being called a fenian bassa is somehow worse than being called a paedo bassa?

Calling you a paedo is in poor taste and I'm sure untrue.

Calling you a Fenian bassa is singling you out based on your perceived religion.

Being called either would likely be offensive to most folk. Suppose it's about context? Surely nobody actually thinks you're a paedo just because you support a football team.

There is NO place for sectarianism in the modern game. There has NEVER been any place for it at all but over the years, it was generally accepted to a degree and nothing really made about it in comparison to nowadays.

It's a terrible subject and one that should be stopped but I'm sure people agree, it would be very difficult for the authorities to deal with at the time ( thousands chanting it ).

Hefty fines, games behind closed doors, sections closed off etc would be a start.

Individuals arrested to receive fines and banning orders.

I hope something is put into place to stop it, and stop it for good.

Suppose it's about context? Surely nobody actually thinks you're a paedo just because you support a football team.

You could argue the same about Fenian. Surely nobody thinks you're a Fenian just because you support a football team.

From being able to watch from a long lense I think Scotland is a very tolerant Country. I don't think that it has a problem with Racism or Sectarianism within society, if anything, ignorance (as shown by the 'coloured' thread) is much more common than hatred. Football is the sole vehicle used for sectarianism and rather than stamp it out, it has been allowed to grow into a society problem when it is much simpler than that.

The SFA, the clubs and the fans should have done more to stamp it out but instead we have a cluster#### created with the offensive behaviour at football act. The law is almost by definition whataboutery. If you sign sectarian songs you should face the appropriate punishment and not be allowed into a football stadium. If clubs are not acting, you should play behind closed doors. If you can't control you fans, you should have your license removed.

Why go to Rangers games if you hate sectarian singing? It's like me going into McDonalds and moaning there's not much for vegans.

I don't go much anymore but not because of the singing. I won't be chased away by any bully or bigot.

What kind of person is dictated to by the actions of scum? I'll go when I can and when I want.

They're my team for better or apparently for much worse.

You could argue the same about Fenian. Surely nobody thinks you're a Fenian just because you support a football team.

From being able to watch from a long lense I think Scotland is a very tolerant Country. I don't think that it has a problem with Racism or Sectarianism within society, if anything, ignorance (as shown by the 'coloured' thread) is much more common than hatred. Football is the sole vehicle used for sectarianism and rather than stamp it out, it has been allowed to grow into a society problem when it is much simpler than that.

The SFA, the clubs and the fans should have done more to stamp it out but instead we have a cluster#### created with the offensive behaviour at football act. The law is almost by definition whataboutery. If you sign sectarian songs you should face the appropriate punishment and not be allowed into a football stadium. If clubs are not acting, you should play behind closed doors. If you can't control you fans, you should have your license removed.

Utter pish!

Scotland doesn't have a sectarianism problem? You obviously don't live here. It's still prevalent in everyday society and has feck all to do with football in general. Why do you get asked what school you went to when you go for some jobs?

It has got better in the last 20 or so years and hopefully that continues but it's still there.

Utter pish!

Scotland doesn't have a sectarianism problem? You obviously don't live here. It's still prevalent in everyday society and has feck all to do with football in general. Why do you get asked what school you went to when you go for some jobs?

It has got better in the last 20 or so years and hopefully that continues but it's still there.

is it really Scotland though , or certain parts of Scotland.....

never seems much of an issue further north and east

Utter pish!

I've never been asked what school I went to at an interview. And If I was I'd tell them to shove their job up their cock.

Utter pish!

I'm an east coaster but have lived and worked in and around Glasgow for ten years now and I can honestly say I have not encountered or heard of any sectarian behaviour in daily life - other than Orange Walks - that wasn't directly associated with Rangers. Can't think of a single incident, even anecdotally.