Australian Open Tennis - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Australian Open Tennis

min

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope for Wawrinka to win this set 16-14!

Does the Aussie Open do the same as Winbledon or do they have a tiebreak in the fifth?

Edit - I'll answer my own question - I had a look and there was a match that went to 10-8 in the first round, so they obviously do.

Edited by biffer

Does the Aussie Open do the same as Winbledon or do they have a tiebreak in the fifth?

I thought all majors done the same as Wimbledon in the deciding set?

US Open does tiebreakers, I knew one of them did

Check out here, Section six first round game between Cuevas and Anderson and section seven first round game between Dancevic and Sousa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_US_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles

Never knew that. Every day is a school day.

Wow, Djokovic flew through that last set! 6-0 in 25 minutes.

It may have been 3 and a half hours plus, but frankly with his level of fitness and two days rest there will be absolutely no tiredness issues.

Hopefully this is a taste of things to come. I thought two years ago that we might get four or five years of Murray and Djoko knocking lumps off each other, but Andy's back injury, operation and recovery put the mockers on that last season. If Andy is genuinely back to 2012/13 form, tennis fans could be in for a treat this year.

It may have been 3 and a half hours plus, but frankly with his level of fitness and two days rest there will be absolutely no tiredness issues.

I see where you're coming from, but bear in mind Djokovic suffered badly from the 5-set semi v Del Potro in the 2013 Wimbledon final.

Having said that, the Del Potro game was the longest Wimbldon semi on record so maybe it's not like for like with today's game.

novak has ridiculous levels of fitness and recovery - a few years ago he beat murray in a 4.5hr semi and the nadal in a 5.5hr final, with 1 day gap. no issues for him, and has time to recover also.

Agree with this. Djokovic is probably the fittest guy on the tour and has plenty time between matches for any physical recovery. However, looking at the stats, his form was poor today and if he plays like that on Sunday, Murray has a great chance.

Agree with this. Djokovic is probably the fittest guy on the tour and has plenty time between matches for any physical recovery. However, looking at the stats, his form was poor today and if he plays like that on Sunday, Murray has a great chance.

Unfortunately it's rare for Djokovic to have 2 poor games in a row.