A Few Flakes Of Snow Expected In Southern England - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A Few Flakes Of Snow Expected In Southern England

Yeah the top of the kids' new slide has a dusting of white on it here in Staffordshire. We have packed our bags, one full of tinned goods, and just waiting in the army to arrive and take us to a safe place. Keep us in your thoughts.

Please do listen to any any advice that is forth coming from the government or the daily express for that matter has they are weather experts so from a personal point of view please do wrap up warm and don't forget the the tomato soup in the flask all the best from deepest and darkest dorset

No snow here in Newcastle. Not sure whether English weather coverage reaches here. All these southerners can always batten the hatches and watch their boxed sets of Downton.

Aye but what about the severity of the impending blizzard then they will be no electricity so you canny watch the the the telly or your box set of downtown abbey

I can guarantee you it wasn't a few flakes of snow. We left a family do around 7pm and it took two hours for a 13 mile drive . Whilst it was rural roads the snow was blizzard like and in no time was drifting. We eventually got stuck on a steep bank and it took a farmer and his JCB to clear the road. To his credit he also help push us a few others about 100 yards up this bank otherwise we were going nowhere.

Edited by EddardStark

To be fair to the Englishers, the don't know how to drive in snow, they don't have snow tyres and the snow is that kind of shitey 'barely snow' (slippy and wet) so it can be a bit hazardous. I can see why this Armageddon happens every year.

Edited by thewelk

I can guarantee you it wasn't a few flakes of snow. We left a family do around 7pm and it took two hours for a 13 mile drive . Whilst it was rural roads the snow was blizzard like and in no time was drifting. We eventually got stuck on a steep bank and it took a farmer and his JCB to clear the road. To his credit he also help push us a few others about 100 yards up this bank otherwise we were going nowhere.

You should have taken some photos - it seems no one managed to photograph anything other than a light covering.

The wife told me that 2 of her friends had to abandon their car and walk home a couple of miles from the shop the other day (Yorkshire somewhere, iirc). Then she showed me the picture they'd sent her.

Nearly pished myself laughing. About 3 inches of snow and easily driveable, plus it would have melted/churned up and off the road in no time at all.

I still maintain we should do what some other countries do and don't sign off on your driving licence until you do some winter driving.

The wife told me that 2 of her friends had to abandon their car and walk home a couple of miles from the shop the other day (Yorkshire somewhere, iirc). Then she showed me the picture they'd sent her.

Nearly pished myself laughing. About 3 inches of snow and easily driveable, plus it would have melted/churned up and off the road in no time at all.

I still maintain we should do what some other countries do and don't sign off on your driving licence until you do some winter driving.

Although there's plenty of macho posturing around these days about driving in snow there's a difficult reality about it these days which is that councils just aren't gritting the roads. I grew up & learned to drive around the Pennines so have plenty of experience of steep hills (there is barely a flat road for 10 miles in any direction around here), ice & snow. But the council here have cut £300K from the gritting budget. They deal with this by only gritting main roads, refusing to stock up the local bins, plus are (I understand) using a lower quality product that tends to wash away more easily. From what I see around here it's the ice as much as snow that is really scuppering people.

While I can accept it probably does tend to catch people out in warmer, flatter places there are also plenty of us that find we can't beat the laws of physics & get stuck.