Had Enough - How Do I Stop Coughing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Had Enough - How Do I Stop Coughing

as the title says

How do I stop coughing?

I've had it for over a week now been through the snorters, sore head, fever etc but still canny shift the cough, I've tried all the usual cough meds, honey, hio toddy but no improvement - so any & all suggestions welcome.

as the title says

How do I stop coughing?

I've had it for over a week now been through the snorters, sore head, fever etc but still canny shift the cough, I've tried all the usual cough meds, honey, hio toddy but no improvement - so any & all suggestions welcome.

Manuka Honey calms mine down a bit. I've had a cough for over a year thanks to being allergic to my dog, it's great.

Sounds like your immune system is weak. If you eat a lot of added sugar in the foods you typically eat this will likely be the cause. Take it out your diet and you will be amazed that all these niggling infections gradually disappear.

I read that eating a marsbar or equivalent pretty much switches off your immune system for a couple of hours after. I eliminated added sugar about 9 months ago and I have not even had a cold sore since. Can't recommend it enough.

I'm currently going through a bit of a long-winded process to deal with a cough I've had for over a year, so my advice to you would be to keep pestering your doctor. In my case I went through various changes of asthma medication (which I've had all my life), antibiotics, steroids, etc. before a range of formal tests (x-ray, spirometry, samples, etc.) to finally get a formal diagnosis of what's the matter & a prognosis for treatment.

After 1 week you'll get little sympathy from the medics unless you're coughing up blood (or you might have been in contact with TB) but if it persists just keep asking. Not all surgeries have them but sometimes asking for a senior nurse practitioner gets you further as they can do peak flows to assess if it might be asthma or worse.

Chances are it will clear up soon enough-cough medicine by the way is proven to be largely ineffective, but can relax the muscles & help a bit.