Yorkshire Folk - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've been dealing with a few in relation to my work recently - I hate to tar everyone with the same brush but the ones I've come across have been a bit dour (Donny and Huddersfield excepted).

Lancashire folk by comparison are usually much friendlier and up for a bit of a banter.

To be fair, Scots hardly have a reputation for being little rays of sunshine either.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I've been dealing with a few in relation to my work recently - I hate to tar everyone with the same brush but the ones I've come across have been a bit dour (Donny and Huddersfield excepted).

Lancashire folk by comparison are usually much friendlier and up for a bit of a banter.

To be fair, Scots hardly have a reputation for being little rays of sunshine either.

I lived in Leeds for 18 months and that was my experience too. Nice people, very friendly, but any attempt at even vaguely dry humour is likely to be met with a woosh the size of Keighley.

This conversation actually happened between a work colleague and I:

Yorkshireperson: "Eh up, are thee going t'night out on't Thursday?"

Me: "Aye, I was thinking about it. Where is it again?"

Yorkshireperson: "That new Indian, the Aagrah".

Me: "Is that the noise you make the next morning if you have the vindaloo?"

Yorkshireperson: "No, it's the name of the restaurant".

Hardly sideplitting, admittedly (unlike the Aargrah's vindaloo) but still an above average wee quip, I thought.

Donny has tried to prove me wrong in the past by posting a list of comedians from Yorkshire, which reminded me a bit of the time that Stylian Petrov complained that Scottish women were ugly and fat and the Daily Record attempted to disprove him by printing a picture of that year's Miss Scotland.

Of course, this could just be a reflection on the people I was working with. Civil servants are generally even less renowned as mirth merchants than people from Scotland or Yorkshire.

I have now lived in N Yorks for a year now , the people are welcoming and friendly , but never put a funny "one liner " into a conversation it is wasted on them , " Yorkshire born , Yorkshire bred , Strong in the arm and thick in the head "

awright Dave ; still in the joe maxi business ?

i had a pint with you in the 'canoe club' in Victoria during U19 world cup (did any of that team ever make it ; they were pretty mince)

now in Calgary for 8 years ; i don;t even bother with one liners here now....

i had a pint with you in the 'canoe club' in Victoria during U19 world cup (did any of that team ever make it ; they were pretty mince)

Jings, Canadians - Michael McIntyre...

Looking through the squad, I'd suggest the following have made it:

Lee Wallace, Mark Reynolds, Steven Fletcher, Graham Dorrans, Andrew Considine & Robert Snodgrass.

Looking through the squad, I'd suggest the following have made it:

Lee Wallace, Mark Reynolds, Steven Fletcher, Graham Dorrans, Andrew Considine & Robert Snodgrass.

cheers ; i stand corrected

after the 3 goal gubbing by Japan i lost interest - thought no chance

i honestly did'nt know those guys were in the team

I lived in Leeds for 18 months and that was my experience too. Nice people, very friendly, but any attempt at even vaguely dry humour is likely to be met with a woosh the size of Keighley.

This conversation actually happened between a work colleague and I:

Yorkshireperson: "Eh up, are thee going t'night out on't Thursday?"

Me: "Aye, I was thinking about it. Where is it again?"

Yorkshireperson: "That new Indian, the Aagrah".

Me: "Is that the noise you make the next morning if you have the vindaloo?"

Yorkshireperson: "No, it's the name of the restaurant".

Hardly sideplitting, admittedly (unlike the Aargrah's vindaloo) but still an above average wee quip, I thought.

Donny has tried to prove me wrong in the past by posting a list of comedians from Yorkshire, which reminded me a bit of the time that Stylian Petrov complained that Scottish women were ugly and fat and the Daily Record attempted to disprove him by printing a picture of that year's Miss Scotland.

Of course, this could just be a reflection on the people I was working with. Civil servants are generally even less renowned as mirth merchants than people from Scotland or Yorkshire.

The Aagrah is indeed a splendid chain........

Since leaving Glasgow , I have not driven a car , no need as Skipton has everything within a 5 minute walk away and the friendly Yorkshire people gave me a Bus Pass

My brother in law has lived just outside Barnsley for over 20 years, and he likes the place, but hates the people.

I've got to agree with him, he stays in a lovley wee village, but it is populated by uneducated, unemployable, inbred, lazy, racist barstewards.

I lived in Yorkshire for a short spell and similarly thought it a bit dour. Thought the north west folk were much better banter, though only through visiting people.

Edited by the_fadiator

You were doing OK until you compared us to t'bloody Lankies. Still, ask them who this year's County Champions are & you soon wipe the smile off their faces. To be fair, it's a fine art to be able to give out your address in a deadpan voice when you have road names like Slack Bottom (Heptonstall if you're interested & well worth a visit).

Joking apart though it's interesting to see the comments on here. I think Yorkshire humour is very dry & self-deprecating, in some ways unique & not always understood. You still bump into lots of professional Yorshiremen as well who love to trade on the image.

I have to agree with Grumpyauldgit (surely a closet Tyke with a name like that)...there are some total backwater villages, but the history of them is often one of neglect, no investment & destruction of whatever infrastructure they ever had so I have some sympathies. They also provide brilliant entertainment on the world's greatest football phone-in; Radio Sheffield's Praise or Grumble where the combined caller IQ is about the same as the number of decent teams in Sheffield.

Anyway Charlie, thanks for the kind words & I hope your experiences of God's Own County improve...if you pay a visit & in the area make sure you stick to the good bits.

oi what about me, never been called dour!

oi what about me, never been called dour!

Sorry :ph34r:! I wasn't sure if you were a born and bred Yorkie or had just moved there.

I don't mean this (dour) in a bad way - it's just that Yorkshire folk seem hard work at times.

I'm now thinking of Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman - "Say what ah like and bloody well like what ah say!"

Keith Waterhouse was a Yorkshireman, so definitely not all bad :wink2: .

Edited by Charlie Endell

I've always found Yorkshire folk to be very down to earth, hard working people, with a good sense of humour albeit a touch pessimistic.

Up here in Scotland, the populations of some of our hillbilly villages in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire can be a real sight for sore eyes !

If the Yorkshire lads are a bit pessimistic and miserable it's probably just from a mentality unconsciously handed down from their ancestors over the ages. All originating from the old industrial era towns that our resident Terriers fan has already alluded too. It must have been very hard to be positive or upbeat about anything in an age where the working class folk of Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley and Doncaster lived in cramped, stuffy, damp overcrowded slums, and looking upon skylines dominated by dozens of big works chimneys belching thick black smoke into the atmosphere. Where the men got up early every morning to walk to work on wet cobblestones and toiled in some mill, mine or foundry for ten hours a day and received a pittance in return for their labour. After work they'd march to the pub and down ten pints and gobble down their pies, fish, chips and mushy pies. Relax with a game of shove ha'penny and maybe a punch up. Then they'd stagger home to have thirty seconds of fun with the wife before passing out and repeating it all over again the next day.

Give me a dour Yorkshireman over some latter day cockney spiv or Essex boy any day !

They also provide brilliant entertainment on the world's greatest football phone-in; Radio Sheffield's Praise or Grumble where the combined caller IQ is about the same as the number of decent teams in Sheffield.

Never knew that Clyde 1's "Superscoreboard Live" Old Firm wankfest had a Yorkshire equivalent !

Most of the Yorkshire people I've known have been sound. Good sense of humour (usually dry/sarcastic) and good company - if a bit slow to get up to the bar at times. But I found if you just started humming the Hovis tune it usually kicked them into gear.

The one irritating trait some of them had was always seeming to have to have the last word in any debate. But that was maybe because they realised you couldn't understand what they'd just said and they were simply clarifying themselves :-))