Yorkshire Folk - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There seems to be a few people struggling under a couple of misapprehensions in this thread.

For a start, Leeds is totally atypical of Yorkshire. The place is a giant, aberrant, genetic and geographical mishap, akin to the rarely seen Khlamydia Kardashian whose morbidly obese hooligan antics are so unlike those of her fragrant sisters.

But what I really don't get is this bizarre suggestion that the Lancastrian character trait of relentless up-for-it chirpiness is something to aspire to rather than condemn. Have we morphed into some parallel universe where Ken Dodd and his tickling stick are socially acceptable?

The trans-Pennine dichotomy was embodied for me in my early TV viewing years: Jimmy Clitheroe, the high-pitched, cheeky Lancs midget filling the nation's living rooms with vacuous pap versus the mordant Yorkshireman Harry Worth inventing alternative comedy avant la lettre.

So-irrepressibly-cheerful-as-to-be-completely-badgeríng-annoying characterizes the whole Scouse / 'Madchester' / Accrington scene - thank God that while they had the Happy bleeding Mondays, we had Pulp - sums it up really:

Edited by DonnyTJS

Since leaving Glasgow , I have not driven a car , no need as Skipton has everything within a 5 minute walk away and the friendly Yorkshire people gave me a Bus Pass

Skipton is a great place, you are lucky to live there. I'm from nearby Keighley which, as you'll be aware, has its issues. As a general rule, everything in Yorkshire is brilliant and everything in Lancashire is $hit.

We lived in Yorkshire for a few years in the early 80s. On my mum's first day at her new Primary school, two of the other teachers told her - to her face - that she shouldn't have got the job because she wasn't from Yorkshire. Lovely folk. Maybe times have changed though...

Skipton is a great place, you are lucky to live there. I'm from nearby Keighley which, as you'll be aware, has its issues. As a general rule, everything in Yorkshire is brilliant and everything in Lancashire is $hit.

Yes I got lucky , Skipton according to The Times at the beginning of the year was the best place to live in the UK , Keighley only a short distance away but still in The Dark Ages

I have a project in Manvers near Rotherham which is the arsehole of the universe. One particular guy always precedes any discussion by confirming that he is a "straight talking Yorkshireman" which he seems strangely proud of and which I just find a bit irritating.

There seems to be a few people struggling under a couple of misapprehensions in this thread.

For a start, Leeds is totally atypical of Yorkshire. The place is a giant, aberrant, genetic and geographical mishap, akin to the rarely seen Khlamydia Kardashian whose morbidly obese hooligan antics are so unlike those of her fragrant sisters.

But what I really don't get is this bizarre suggestion that the Lancastrian character trait of relentless up-for-it chirpiness is something to aspire to rather than condemn. Have we morphed into some parallel universe where Ken Dodd and his tickling stick are socially acceptable?

The trans-Pennine dichotomy was embodied for me in my early TV viewing years: Jimmy Clitheroe, the high-pitched, cheeky Lancs midget filling the nation's living rooms with vacuous pap versus the mordant Yorkshireman Harry Worth inventing alternative comedy avant la lettre.

So-irrepressibly-cheerful-as-to-be-completely-badgeríng-annoying characterizes the whole Scouse / 'Madchester' / Accrington scene - thank God that while they had the Happy bleeding Mondays, we had Pulp - sums it up really:

Superb :lol:.

Pulp are still pish though!

I have a project in Manvers near Rotherham which is the arsehole of the universe. One particular guy always precedes any discussion by confirming that he is a "straight talking Yorkshireman" which he seems strangely proud of and which I just find a bit irritating.

That's because you don't care much for folk who describe themselves that way though!

Yorkshire has some lovely areas and decent people. Like any place, it has some dumps and "characters" for use of a better word.

Got to say though, some of them are tighter than cramp when it comes to getting the rounds in.

Nice place and people overall.

We lived in Yorkshire for a few years in the early 80s. On my mum's first day at her new Primary school, two of the other teachers told her - to her face - that she shouldn't have got the job because she wasn't from Yorkshire. Lovely folk. Maybe times have changed though...

I'd hope they have. It reminds me of my first day in a new class in infants, aged 7 or 8, where the teacher told anyone not born in Yorkshire to put their hands up and proceeded to tell 'em how unlucky they were. Times have changed, I think - he also flung chalk and wooden blackboard rubbers at any kids who talked.

The professional Yorkshireman act is cringeworthy. We're just better than the rest - no need to tell every bugger. And Manvers is indeed a hole, but that whole area was once pits and coking plants. It was eviscerated and then landscaped into the characterless, lobotomized blank you see today. Hate it.

Yorkshire has some lovely areas and decent people. Like any place, it has some dumps and "characters" for use of a better word.

Got to say though, some of them are tighter than cramp when it comes to getting the rounds in.

Nice place and people overall.

Oh nice one Del & very true, hope I get my share of rounds in though!

Yes I got lucky , Skipton according to The Times at the beginning of the year was the best place to live in the UK , Keighley only a short distance away but still in The Dark Ages

This too is very true even some of the Keighley people themselves refer to it as cavetown!