Recurring Dreams - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Recurring Dreams

Anyone ever had a recurring dream ?

For several years as a kid I used to have a really strange, unnerving one:

I'd be looking down from a high vantage point upon a long, straight, country road on a warm summer day. A red car would appear speeding along and then everything would just go all hazy. After a moment all would go blank and the most terrible, deafening sound combination of buzzing, screeching and wailing would begin. It was this horrible sound that always got me, it was like that of metal crashing and nails going down the blackboard at the same time. After a moment or two of this it would be then that I'd wake up trembling, in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. :o

Had that dream dozens of times when I was younger. As I got older it appeared less frequently but still had the same strange, unsettling aura about it. :unsure:

I'm not really one for superstitious mubo jumbo but this bloody dream has had such a powerful influence on me that I refuse to set foot in a red car in case something happens ! Honestly, I know it's daft but I can't shake it off ! :lol:

What about you then ?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regularly have a dream about a plane being out of control, I see it from a distance and it always crashes behind a hill or building. I see the explosion

I got that for a wee while. Would wake up just after the explosion and mushroom cloud went up.

I had one when i was young about watching a western and i would pick up my nintendo duck hunt gun, pretend to shoot the guy on tele. Moments later the guy would appear at my bedroom door and shoot me, i would wake up in a cold sweat at that point.

Edited by daddybuc16

When I travelled a lot I had some vivid dreams about plane crashes, some of them really vivid. I also used to get this weird could never get packed on time stress dream. But the only theme I can truly trace back all the way is the dream of being pursued, various dreams, mostly in country houses, like dream cinematic precursors to modern day zombie movies. You just spend the whole movie on the run...

I think it is maybe a mistake to think this world is neutral, meaningless...it is what you are. (Maybe.)

When I travelled a lot I had some vivid dreams about plane crashes, some of them really vivid. I also used to get this weird could never get packed on time stress dream. But the only theme I can truly trace back all the way is the dream of being pursued, various dreams, mostly in country houses, like dream cinematic precursors to modern day zombie movies. You just spend the whole movie on the run...

I think it is maybe a mistake to think this world is neutral, meaningless...it is what you are. (Maybe.)

I also have the 'can't get packed in time dream' at least once a week. Or the 'there is too much stuff to pack' one. Like the others I wake up in a cold sweat.

I also have the 'can't get packed in time dream' at least once a week. Or the 'there is too much stuff to pack' one. Like the others I wake up in a cold sweat.

When I was travelling a lot I would get it once a week as well, no bother. Took me years post that lifestyle to 100% truly shake it off. Nuts I know.

The plane crash dream is quite common

Ive had it maybe 4 or 5 times over the years

Really vivid. Probably the most realistic dreams i have ever had

Google search seems to suggest it's about hopes and dreams

I usually get it just before Cheltenham ....

When I was travelling a lot I would get it once a week as well, no bother. Took me years post that lifestyle to 100% truly shake it off. Nuts I know.

I've never been much of a traveller so that's why I always wonder so much about it. Maybe it's my subconscious telling me to pack more into life.

The plane crash dream is quite common

Ive had it maybe 4 or 5 times over the years

Really vivid. Probably the most realistic dreams i have ever had

Google search seems to suggest it's about hopes and dreams

I usually get it just before Cheltenham ....

I get it about 5 or 6 times a year!

The first serious job I took as a young man stressed me out. I think I woke up about 30 seconds before my alarm was due to go off every ing day for a year - no lie there was something in me watching that clock while I was asleep and it woke me up just before the alarm did every day - for about a year at least.

Rat race.

I used to have the same one as a kid.

Vaguely remember being in a phone box, then somthing sinister would enter the box. I would turn round (never seeing what ever it was), then the dream would go all hazy and I would get a sensation of floating away from the box. I wouldn't remember much after that.

Turns out, and I found this out much later, I would be screaming in my sleep and the floating sensation was one of my parents picking me up and carrying me into their bed.

Funny, they never mentioned it at the time, and I never questioned waking up in their bed.

Guess you don't when you are 5.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

speaking of vivid dreams, has anybody here ever had an experience with sleep paralysis?......now that IS scary sh1t!! it has only happened to me on four occasions but I remember each one vividly,

really hard to explain, each time has been slightly different. during an episode it is always hard to tell if you are dreaming or not.

for example the first time it happened to me I got out of bed and began to walk around my bedroom, looked out the window, it was sunny outside and there was a horrible looking goblin type creature looking back at me. part of me knew I was only dreaming as it was night and should be dark outside but it was extremely difficult to get a sense of reality. it went on for what felt like forever before I finally woke up, it was absolutely terrifying!

On another occasion, I actually thought I might be dead but I was lying face down and could feel my heart thumping against the mattress, so this reassured me.

Like I say, it's difficult to explain. All I know is that I will be happy if I never have to experience it again.

speaking of vivid dreams, has anybody here ever had an experience with sleep paralysis?......now that IS scary sh1t!! it has only happened to me on four occasions but I remember each one vividly,

really hard to explain, each time has been slightly different. during an episode it is always hard to tell if you are dreaming or not.

for example the first time it happened to me I got out of bed and began to walk around my bedroom, looked out the window, it was sunny outside and there was a horrible looking goblin type creature looking back at me. part of me knew I was only dreaming as it was night and should be dark outside but it was extremely difficult to get a sense of reality. it went on for what felt like forever before I finally woke up, it was absolutely terrifying!

On another occasion, I actually thought I might be dead but I was lying face down and could feel my heart thumping against the mattress, so this reassured me.

Like I say, it's difficult to explain. All I know is that I will be happy if I never have to experience it again.

You are interesting! I have a sleep paralysis story but WTF did the goblin look like, best recollection please? And what happened with the 'thought you were dead' experience? (Death is not be shied away from.)