Catalonia - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Voting today:

* should Catalonia be a state?

* should that state be independent?

Si Si!

I'm pretty sure the Catalans will be braver than we were.

Be interesting to see how the Spanish govt deal with a Yes vote

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how European govts deal with it as well. It's freedom w/end, remembering those who gave their lives for freedom, 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall...So I expect that there will be absolute silence particualry from WM after all we don't want to give people any ideas, do we?

The language factor must make a big difference. If 80% of Scotland spoke Gaelic as their first language I think support for independence would be much higher...

I thought that too until recently but then I saw them announce a large no vote in Gaelic for the Western Isles...

I thought that too until recently but then I saw them announce a large no vote in Gaelic for the Western Isles...

What percentage of the No voters were Gaelic speakers though?

Also there's georaphical factors affecting that. Western Isles are like Orkney & Shetland in that Edinburgh or London are similarly remote to them, making their local identity much stronger (was similar in the days of clan rule). If Gaelic was the primary language in the Central Belt I think the result would've been very different...

Is there any word on when the result is being announced?

Also if they aren't doing this off the electoral register then who is eligable to vote? Just anyone that turns up? How can they check that people aren't voting multiple times? I also seen a picture on Facebook early in the morning saying voting underway in Sydney!

That beach is in San Sebastian in the Basque country. Showing solidarity to Scotland and Catalonia.

Even they know our fight has only just begun.

It is a shame that some of the amazing displays we have seen in Catalonia and now the Basque country haven't been replicated here