Scotland Starting XI in 5 years - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Starting XI in 5 years

I got to thinking about what a Scotland lineup might look like in say 5 years time, given there being quite a bit of excitement about some players, coming through and some of the younger players already picking up quite a decent amount of experience in squads where we have a core of player in their prime, but many of them now in their late 20s.

I've assumed the same system just for sake of like for like replacement, that then depends what strength we have in some areas and the system we could be forced to play in to play in other ways. And we have to remember that Clarke won't be around forever.

For the sake of eliminating some people I've gone with the cut off for international careers for outfield players ending to be 33/34, which makes the likes of McGinn and Robertson potentially borderline but definitely could still be around if they stay in good nick. Dykes and Adams technically could be still around but I've decided to take them out just to get a new face in there.

GK: Gunn

DEF: Hickey, Porteous, Bowat, KT, Doig

MID: Ferguson, Gilmour, McTominay

ATT: Conway, Doak

Also giving speculative mentions to Kieron Bowie, Robbie Ure and Liam Morrison. But I'm probably missing loads of others if there are others who want to chip in

Always difficult predicting how these things could pan out, especially with a glance through the current U21 squad and many of them have not too much of a senior career to speak of at any decent level. But I feel with there being a core of players in the above team who will have dozens of caps at international level by then and the players to come in who we haven't seen yet in the senior squad, looking at that team I think we are in a good enough spot for the future.

Think you're being optimistic with Tierney given his history of injuries. If he's no longer involved then presumably we'd set up differently. You're right though someone needs to be thinking 5 years ahead.

I'd love to think Archie Gray might be part of that set up but suspect that won't happen.

I think midfield and defence aren't too bad. Forwards as usual looks the most worrying area, maybe Wilson at Villa, maybe Mellon. Next to that who'll be back up keepers, Slicker? Craig Gordon?

Posted (edited)

Hopefully a few of the young players in the Scottish leagues kick on and feature for the national team. David Watson and Lennon Miller come to mind. Rory Wilson at Villa too, let’s be honest if gets on the Villa bench he would be making our squad. 

Edited by bigfingers

Louis jackson, Ryan One, Marc Leonard, Matthew Craig, Callan Mckenna a few more that have had decent loans or kicked on this season or featured on Prem sides benches, but could name a load that in 5 years will hopefully be around, seems to be a lot more Scots in youth systems than ever. 

Posted (edited)

I’d be surprised if Tierney is still playing by then or even at the high level he currently is. Fantastic player but just a pity he’s so injury prone.

Hopefully a couple of the youngsters mentioned in the above posts kick on and fulfil their potential so they can stake their claim in the senior setup.

I’m pretty sure we will also have a couple of players that no one has ever heard of just now that will have broken through and being part of the senior setup by then.

Also who knows in terms of the likes of Quansah, Livramento & Anderson haven’t got their competitive caps for England by then and decide to do a Che Adams/Angus Gunn & decide to opt to play for us in the end?

Edited by DesiScotsman

12 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Also who knows in terms of the likes of Quansah, Livramento & Anderson haven’t got their competitive caps for England by then and decide to do a Che Adams/Angus Gunn & decide to opt to play for us in the end?

Yeah this is also the obvious factor I forgot to mention too. Anderson and Livramento the obvious initial targets but we'll see who else can come out the woodwork

I can't see a huge amount of changes in 5 years time which I consider a good thing. 

Most of our best players have 5 years left in them. Even mcginn and robbo could still be playing.

Guys that I think will definitely become regular internationals are, 

Bowat, dembele, hackney, Conway, doak, Stewart, doig.

Guys I think have a decent chance are 

Mckenna, Watson, mebude, Barron, binks, Anderson, mullen, wilson, Leonard. 

Dembele could end up with ivory coast and Anderson is only on the second list because he is still holding out for England, if he wants to play for Scotland then he theres a strong chance he will.

There's probably guys I have missed tbf but I think thats the main candidates for the next 5 years.

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Be amazed if David Watson and Lennon Miller aren't mainstays in squads by then. 

Watson the first Killie player since Naisy in 2007 to win the Young Player of the Year up here. 

I did just default to U21s as opposed to the U19s as that's an even further gap to senior football, but I do agree players at that age who are banging around the senior set ups already for sides at Scottish Premiership level are not to be sniffed at. Long way to go though

21 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I did just default to U21s as opposed to the U19s as that's an even further gap to senior football, but I do agree players at that age who are banging around the senior set ups already for sides at Scottish Premiership level are not to be sniffed at. Long way to go though

Watson has 60 first team games already for Killie and just turned 19. 

Had Lennon Miller not got inured, he'd have been at over 40 at 17 years old. 

Absolutely astonishing that both of them aren't in the 21s. Got more experience than players 2/3 years older than them. 

Dundee Utd had a lot of promising players a couple of years back but I’m not sure what’s happened to them. The guy that had a loan at Montrose looked really good. I think Bailey Rice at Rangers and Lowry have good chances. Lowry was suited up in the stand with other first team players on Sunday so hopefully continues to be seen as first team material when fit. 

When thinking about Scotland prospects, I have repeatedly fallen into the trap of looking at the team players were contracted to rather than whether they were actually playing men’s football (Jack Harper springs to mind). Playing lots of senior football at a young age, almost regardless of the level, seems to be a really strong indicator of future international success. The likes of Robertson, McGinn, Armstrong, Hickey, Tierney, and Ferguson all played at least a couple of full seasons at first team level by the time they were 20. (There are obviously exceptions - Patterson for one has still only played about 50 senior games in his career.) Lennon Miller could yet rack up a hundred appearances while still in his teens. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t become a full international in his career.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Dundee Utd had a lot of promising players a couple of years back but I’m not sure what’s happened to them. The guy that had a loan at Montrose looked really good. I think Bailey Rice at Rangers and Lowry have good chances. Lowry was suited up in the stand with other first team players on Sunday so hopefully continues to be seen as first team material when fit. 

Chris Mochrie. Played a few games in first team this season and scored goal that got us promoted. I think the jury’s out however on his long term prospects. Kai Fotheringham and Miller Thomson decent prospects are both first team regulars. Both out on loan in past couple of seasons 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

Only few I can think of that haven’t been mentioned are:

Erhahon - had a great season and apparently has championship clubs after him

Oné - seems to be doing well in the youth team at Sheffield Utd and made their first team bench a couple of times 

Borland - still only 16, but getting rave reviews for the Aston Villa EPL2 team. Sounds like he might be of a similar mould to Gilmour

These threads always descend into ppl just naming any old youth prospect, especially ones in the epl. 

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that a youth player who has barely played any first team football will be playing for Scotland in 5 years. It's pretty hit or miss and unpredictable to say the least.

The lads who are already playing first team football at a decent level like Conway, dembele, hackney, doak, Watson etc will likely be our first team players in 5 years. 

13 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

These threads always descend into ppl just naming any old youth prospect, especially ones in the epl. 

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that a youth player who has barely played any first team football will be playing for Scotland in 5 years. It's pretty hit or miss and unpredictable to say the least.

The lads who are already playing first team football at a decent level like Conway, dembele, hackney, doak, Watson etc will likely be our first team players in 5 years. 

I believe Hackney has since ditched us for England U21s, not to say he couldn't come back in 5 years when a full call up hasn't come.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I believe Hackney has since ditched us for England U21s, not to say he couldn't come back in 5 years when a full call up hasn't come.

Good chance he will be playing with us. Guys about to turn 22 and still playing championship football. England have better options than him that are relatively young. 

Are people forgetting Patterson exists? He will 100% be heavily involved in 5 years time. He's had a rough patch, but his quality is clear. 22 years old and already has 21 caps.

I'd hazard a guess that even further down the line, our fullbacks will be Hickey on the left and Patterson on the right. 

Max Johnston and Josh Doig could end up staking a claim but they are very much still question marks. Patterson is not.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Are people forgetting Patterson exists? He will 100% be heavily involved in 5 years time. He's had a rough patch, but his quality is clear. 22 years old and already has 21 caps.

I'd hazard a guess that even further down the line, our fullbacks will be Hickey on the left and Patterson on the right. 

Max Johnston and Josh Doig could end up staking a claim but they are very much still question marks. Patterson is not.

Patterson has already made it with us. I assumed this was about who will come in to the team in the next 5 years. Patterson is already very much part of our present and future.

And I agree that he's a good player. Hes had a bad patch but the talents still there. I would like to see him get a loan move next season if he isn't playing regularly. Maybe Spain or Italy would good.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Patterson has already made it with us. I assumed this was about who will come in to the team in the next 5 years. Patterson is already very much part of our present and future.

And I agree that he's a good player. Hes had a bad patch but the talents still there. I would like to see him get a loan move next season if he isn't playing regularly. Maybe Spain or Italy would good.

Defenders should go to Italy. It's a pity Hickey didn't stay longer.