Scotland v Holland and Northern Ireland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Holland and Northern Ireland

romanticscot

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

For me it is clear that Clarke has his mind made up for his  midfielders and strikers. He wants to gauge Gordon''s levels for himself post-injury hence four keepers. And evidently he has not settled on the full quota of defenders yet hence why there are a large number in the squad so he can look and decide which ones go to Germany and who misses out.

I think he will have a good idea of who he will take but wants to keep everybody who has been and might still be involved (if there is injuries) part of the squad until he has to actually make the decision. 

Im sure if Brown, Jack and McGreggor werent injured then they would have been in this squad also with nobody dropping out.

He is basically doing the equivalent of calling up a 30 man squad shortly before a tournament, knowing it has to be reduced to 23 man squad a week or so later.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Silversand said:

If theres an injury to McLean or gilmour then Cairney should be given a chance. Guy obviously wants to be involved going by that quote and he's a decent player doing well at a high level.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

If theres an injury to McLean or gilmour then Cairney should be given a chance. Guy obviously wants to be involved going by that quote and he's a decent player doing well at a high level.

I find the last line of the Cairney quote a bit worrying and odd.I mean 'a bit of a fan'?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I find the last line of the Cairney quote a bit worrying and odd.I mean 'a bit of a fan'?

not sure, you might be right but I read it as he’s on the outside of the current team so he feels he’s looking in as a fan…….. but it’s clear he wants to be involved, so all good from clarke’s point of view.

6 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

not sure, you might be right but I read it as he’s on the outside of the current team so he feels he’s looking in as a fan…….. but it’s clear he wants to be involved, so all good from clarke’s point of view.

If you have played for a team and been in their squads and are 100% committed I know I'd use  'we' not 'they' and not use terminology like 'a bit of a fan' as I would like to presume he felt much more than that. It smacks of disconnection with the Scotland squad. Yes he has been out of the squad but even ex-pro internationals of long gone years talk about Scotland in the 'we' with no disconnection. They still talk as if they are fully involved.

Four keepers could be very useful for training sessions.

On top of that, maybe he is planning on doing loads of penalty kick practice. More goalies must improve that.

Penalty kicks is also another string in the Kenny McLean bow. I agree with others, in that McLean's seat on the flight to Germany is already booked, barring injury.

I expect Gordon will go to Germany but it's unlikely he or Clark will get any gametime anyway. The whole 'taking him for his international experience' thing seems a bit vague to me. Especially as he's never actually played in a tournament.  

14 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I expect Gordon will go to Germany but it's unlikely he or Clark will get any gametime anyway. The whole 'taking him for his international experience' thing seems a bit vague to me. Especially as he's never actually played in a tournament.  

It's all relative. Gordon may not have played at a tournament, but the other three have barely played at international level at all. They've probably got about a dozen caps between them.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It's all relative. Gordon may not have played at a tournament, but the other three have barely played at international level at all. They've probably got about a dozen caps between them.

If the point is that Gordon has more experience so he should be up in the pecking order, I get it. If it's that Gordon has experience so should be around the dressing room, I don't.

Whittling this squad down to 23 is going to be insanely hard if we have no injuries. By my estimation 1 of Souttar, Hendry, Fraser or McLean will miss out. 

That's assuming Cooper, Kelly, Ralston, Jack and Taylor wouldn't be picked anyway. (or any other strikers or wildcards)

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Whittling this squad down to 23 is going to be insanely hard if we have no injuries. By my estimation 1 of Souttar, Hendry, Fraser or McLean will miss out. 

That's assuming Cooper, Kelly, Ralston, Jack and Taylor wouldn't be picked anyway. (or any other strikers or wildcards)

Could be Fraser knowing how loyal Clarke is. 

25 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Could be Fraser knowing how loyal Clarke is. 

McLean's ability to play at CB could be what swings it for him. So Clarke may drop Cooper and another CB. Souttar has the least amount of caps. Which could go against him.

The easy choice would obviously be Fraser, but he is pretty unique in our player pool. I was hoping for a Doak wildcard, but that doesn't seem likely since he is out with a long term injury. 

I guarantee there will be a moment when plan A and plan B aren't working, when we'll be looking longingly at the bench for a Fraser type. I hope we don't regret it if he doesn't get picked.

46 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McLean's ability to play at CB could be what swings it for him. So Clarke may drop Cooper and another CB. Souttar has the least amount of caps. Which could go against him.

The easy choice would obviously be Fraser, but he is pretty unique in our player pool. I was hoping for a Doak wildcard, but that doesn't seem likely since he is out with a long term injury. 

I guarantee there will be a moment when plan A and plan B aren't working, when we'll be looking longingly at the bench for a Fraser type. I hope we don't regret it if he doesn't get picked.

I actually think you could fit Hendry, Souttar, Fraser and Maclean all into the 23. Would mean dropping Hanley though. 

Edited by bigfingers

Interesting the Carver press conference. They definitely seem to see Shankland as not quite fitting their system and Hendry playing at a lower standard has been noted. Makes me think  Shankland won't start and that Souttar might overtake Hendry.

Went with the below for the Netherlands game:

IMG_5991.thumb.jpeg.9f4612676c0c043ffedd120033bd6829.jpeg

Opted for Gordon as this will be his biggest test since he returned from a long term injury. Gunn is still the number 1 for me but would like to see Gordon playing against an opponent that he’s going to be tested far more against than what he’s faced in recent appearances against Spartans, Airdrie & Morton.

Defence & midfield pretty much pick themselves.

Also want to give Shankland a start. He’s on form out of the 3 attackers chosen and deserves an opportunity to play against a good side from the start.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Interesting the Carver press conference. They definitely seem to see Shankland as not quite fitting their system and Hendry playing at a lower standard has been noted. Makes me think  Shankland won't start and that Souttar might overtake Hendry.

Hendry playing at a lower standard than who?

Our centre backs mainly play in Scotland & the championship 

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hendry playing at a lower standard than who?

Our centre backs mainly play in Scotland & the championship 

Carver said not enough of the matches were at a high enough standard. He didn't say anything about players based in the UK

4 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Opted for Gordon as this will be his biggest test since he returned from a long term injury. Gunn is still the number 1 for me but would like to see Gordon playing against an opponent that he’s going to be tested far more against than what he’s faced in recent appearances against Spartans, Airdrie & Morton.

Also want to give Shankland a start. He’s on form out of the 3 attackers chosen and deserves an opportunity to play against a good side from the start.

Not sure I agree that the defence picks itself. Cooper had one of his best games for Scotland against the Netherlands last time. And didn't Hendry score?

It's pretty frustrating for Clarke that McKenna and Hanley are out, as he's obviously not 100% on which CBs he's taking yet. Though I'd be shocked if Hanley and McKenna weren't in the final 23.

5 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

I'd go for that side too though listening to Carver, I don’t think Shankland will be starting but he's also put a doubt in my mind about Hendry

37 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Not sure I agree that the defence picks itself. Cooper had one of his best games for Scotland against the Netherlands last time. And didn't Hendry score?

It's pretty frustrating for Clarke that McKenna and Hanley are out, as he's obviously not 100% on which CBs he's taking yet. Though I'd be shocked if Hanley and McKenna weren't in the final 23.

Tierney & Robertson are certain starters. Patterson is the obvious choice at RWB with no Hickey due to injury. The other two remaining defensive positions, I have based my selection on the players that have been playing regularly and playing well. Souttar has finally had a good run of games under his belt and playing his best football for some time and managed to steer well clear of the treatment table. Porteous has also got back into the Watford starting eleven and seems like he’s been playing well since being reinstated although I had a bit of a toss-up between him Hendry (who I don’t know how he’s been performing in Saudi Arabia as it’s not a league that I watch/follow). I just prefer Porteous over Hendry particularly in that RCB role. Cooper hasn’t really kicked a ball for Leeds Utd as Farke prefers the Welsh duo of Ampadu & Rodon at CB ahead of Cooper. I can’t see him being in the final selection for Germany due to the lack of game time he’s getting at Leeds.

Edited by DesiScotsman

12 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Tierney & Robertson are certain starters. Patterson is the obvious choice at RWB with no Hickey due to injury. The other two remaining defensive positions, I have based my selection on the players that have been playing regularly and playing well. Souttar has finally had a good run of games under his belt and playing his best football for some time and managed to steer well clear of the treatment table. Porteous has also got back into the Watford starting eleven and seems like he’s been playing well since being reinstated although I had a bit of a toss-up between him Hendry (who I don’t know how he’s been performing in Saudi Arabia as it’s not a league that I watch/follow). I just prefer Porteous over Hendry particularly in that RCB role. Cooper hasn’t really kicked a ball for Leeds Utd as Farke prefers the Welsh duo of Ampadu & Rodon at CB ahead of Cooper. I can’t see him being in the final selection for Germany due to the lack of game time he’s getting at Leeds.

I wasn't saying I necessarily disagree with you, just that "the defence picks itself" was a bit off. I'm a big fan of Souttar, Hendry and McKenna. All 3 were breaking through and making waves around the same time. I remember debating at the time who was most likely to go on to become a regular Scotland internationalist. Turns out all of them! 

I don't know about the rest of the people on here, but I garner so much joy when you see a young player, that you've followed for a while, go on to fulfill their potential. So I have a huge soft spot for the aforementioned. Same goes for Fraser, Hickey and Patterson. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Can't see what relevance players performances against NL 3 years ago have.  Cooper has been on the bench practically the whole season & that's where I expect him to be tomorrow night though I can see Clarke bringing him on for KT at some stage. 

Don't think KT has played close to a full 90 minutes since returning so we should be managing his minutes during these friendlies

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I wasn't saying I necessarily disagree with you, just that "the defence picks itself" was a bit off. I'm a big fan of Souttar, Hendry and McKenna. All 3 were breaking through and making waves around the same time. I remember debating at the time who was most likely to go on to become a regular Scotland internationalist. Turns out all of them! 

I don't know about the rest of the people on here, but I garner so much joy when you see a young player, that you've followed for a while, go on to fulfill their potential. So I have a huge soft spot for the aforementioned. Same goes for Fraser, Hickey and Patterson. 

Yeh your right there's nothing better than watching a young player develop into a Scotland player.