Euros squad current situations - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euros squad current situations

syecosse

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Can’t see Doig coming in, if we’re short due to injuries I’d imagine it would be Taylor or Ralston as back up based on the fact Clarke has relied on them previously.

Yeah agree and it's probably for the best at this stage. 

Nathan Patterson's situation is a concern, especially with Hickey potentially out for the season. Looks like Patterson is either 3rd or 4th choice right back for Everton. Barring an injury crisis or Dyche getting the sack, it's likely that he'll come into the Euros having barely kicked a ball for 6 months. 

Right wing back has quickly from a position in which we were spoilt for choice to one that we could be struggling. 

It is a situation likely to improve. Hickey will be back in the next few weeks and should be fresh for the Euros. If Everton keep leaking goals the pressure will be on Dyche to look at other defensive options so Patterson just needs to be ready to take his chance if and when it comes.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a situation likely to improve. Hickey will be back in the next few weeks and should be fresh for the Euros. If Everton keep leaking goals the pressure will be on Dyche to look at other defensive options so Patterson just needs to be ready to take his chance if and when it comes.

Where did you see that Hickey will be back in the next few weeks? Hope you're right but last I saw their manager was saying he wasn't sure if he'd play again this season. 

As for Patterson, it's clear that Dyche doesn't trust him as right back in a 4. Saw a game recently where their right back had to come off injured and Patterson still didn't get off the bench. Only football I can see him getting is if they're chasing a game with 20 minutes to go. 

The report I saw had manager saying he was expecting Hickey back before the end of the season so that is a few weeks from now in my eyes. As for Patterson like I said if Everton continue to leak goals Dyche's hand could be forced especially if they slup back towards the relegation zone.

10 hours ago, YesTA said:

Shankland has to start, anything else is madness.

Adams is in a decent run of form. But it's always temporary. I think he's on 12 goals for the season, but that is in the championship. He doesn't even necessarily start every game. We should really be striving for a better return than that for our main man up top. 

I'd honestly give Shankland the next 3 games. If it turns out to be too big a step up, or overwhelming for him, so be it. We revert back to either Adams or Dykes. We'll have learned a lot more than we would have with just persevering with the other 2.

I expect our squad for Netherlands and Northern Ireland released in the next few days which should give some insight into where Clarke's head is at.  I would not expect any new faces who don't appear in this squad to be in the one for the Euro's unless it's an absolute emergency. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I expect our squad for Netherlands and Northern Ireland released in the next few days which should give some insight into where Clarke's head is at.  I would not expect any new faces who don't appear in this squad to be in the one for the Euro's unless it's an absolute emergency. 

Well there will have to be one or two different names in there as Callum McGregor, Aaron Hickey and Jacob Brown will all be missing though injury 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well there will have to be one or two different names in there as Callum McGregor, Aaron Hickey and Jacob Brown will all be missing though injury 

I can't see him pulling any wildcards this close to the Euros. Can't really think of anyone that hasn't already established themselves that would make a surprise appearance. Doak might have had an outside chance of sneaking in if he hadn't gotten injured.

We might see the return of Turnbull, Fraser and Ralston. 

The bigger experiments will hopefully be with the starting 11.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:18 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

The report I saw had manager saying he was expecting Hickey back before the end of the season so that is a few weeks from now in my eyes. As for Patterson like I said if Everton continue to leak goals Dyche's hand could be forced especially if they slup back towards the relegation zone.

Good if hickey is back in two weeks, but all chat on the brentford website is back in May ………. basically two weeks before the end of the season. Not looking good at all.

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I can't see him pulling any wildcards this close to the Euros. Can't really think of anyone that hasn't already established themselves that would make a surprise appearance. Doak might have had an outside chance of sneaking in if he hadn't gotten injured.

We might see the return of Turnbull, Fraser and Ralston. 

The bigger experiments will hopefully be with the starting 11.

Fraser is out injured too and will miss these games. Turnbull....hmmm perhaps but I somehow doubt it. Ralson, I think, will be included due to shortage of optionsthat Clarke favours.

8 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Good if hickey is back in two weeks, but all chat on the brentford website is back in May ………. basically two weeks before the end of the season. Not looking good at all.

Well on the positive side, even.if that turns out to be the case, he will be fresh and gives him a month to build up his fitness and our two friendlies in early June will help.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fraser is out injured too and will miss these games. Turnbull....hmmm perhaps but I somehow doubt it. Ralson, I think, will be included due to shortage of optionsthat Clarke favours.

He seems to be playing regularly at Cardiff. If he can get on the goal trail again, I don't see why not. I seriously doubt he'll make the final 23 for the Euros, but he might sneak in to this next squad due to injuries.

I think Gordon might be a surprise inclusion.

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well on the positive side, even.if that turns out to be the case, he will be fresh and gives him a month to build up his fitness and our two friendlies in early June will help.

Hickey is one of a select few that is so good that his lack of game time will be deemed irrelevant. Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and McGinn are the others in that bracket. He'll walk straight back into the team if he's fit.

42 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Hickey is one of a select few that is so good that his lack of game time will be deemed irrelevant. Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and McGinn are the others in that bracket. He'll walk straight back into the team if he's fit.

Agreed.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:14 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Aye, I'm pretty sure Ralston will be in the squad.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:03 AM, ProudScot said:

You’d have to be insane at this point to pick Dykes ahead of Shankland in all honesty 

I’m all for giving Shankland lots of game time in the upcoming friendlies. Give him a good opportunity to see how he handles international football. 
To be fair to Dykes, he’s got almost a 1 in 3 scoring rate for Scotland and a number of assists. He’s done well for us. And I’m sure he’ll give 100% when called upon.

• 3 weeks later...

UEFA have said after a number of complaints from mangers, they will discuss the possibility of raising the size of squads for the Euros from 23 to 26 at their April conference 

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

UEFA have said after a number of complaints from mangers, they will discuss the possibility of raising the size of squads for the Euros from 23 to 26 at their April conference 

If this is true, super glad we tried new faces in the last squad. 

11 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If this is true, super glad we tried new faces in the last squad. 

Southgate is apparently the most vocal critic of the reduced number, and he has said in recent interviews that they are not alone in this from other managers he has spoken with.

Being reported by the Times now that UEFA are to look in to this

I don't think this would help Scotland at all. It's a big help to the bigger nations who can call on big squads of very good players. It would make Clarkes job of picking the squad a lot easier, but he would just be filling the squad with players that he hopes he won't need to use.