Petty stuff you do - England - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Petty stuff you do - England

GaryWood34

So this annoyed me today when signing up for the euro 2024 app. Suggested I support England when I put in my Scottish post code. 

I’ve been known to move the England World Cup merch for sale in shops to the back behind other items and I replied to a Pizza Hut email rather sharply when they spoke about “it coming home” during the World Cup” 

What do you do / have done that’s as petty as me? 

IMG_0884.png

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

So this annoyed me today when signing up for the euro 2024 app. Suggested I support England when I put in my Scottish post code. 

I’ve been known to move the England World Cup merch for sale in shops to the back behind other items and I replied to a Pizza Hut email rather sharply when they spoke about “it coming home” during the World Cup” 

IMG_0884.png

I always remember going and buying the Brazil away top hours after Ronaldinho had papped them out of the 2002 World Cup.

Stuck it on straight away and the lassie that I was seeing at the time had a sister who was going out with a brummie guy - I could sense the seethe when I saw him later in the day. Glorious. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

4 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Stopped buying Mars bars for years after they temporarily changed their name to Believe bars,  2006 WC I think it was.

Also stopped buying XXX strong mints after they became a supporter/sponsor of that lot.

Had a good "It's coming home" sing song in London after the Euro 2020 final.

The one that gets to me is when you're on apps and they either only have an option to put your nationality as British, or even worse, it defaults to British despite the app also having separate English, Scottish, Welsh and Norther Irish options.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Pretty laughable article on BBC today basically outlining that is England fail to win the Euros this time Southgate's legacy as an England manager is tarnished.

I mean they have a really good team at themoment and probably to be considered 2nd favourite in my book, but deary me

They always need someone to blame hopefully he goes down the Pizza Hut route again as a get it right up you, I think he comes across as a very decent human being unfortunately they’ll paint him as a failure. This article sums the English and their media up perfectly 

https://sportsbrief.com/football/53894-why-cafu-believes-premier-league-poses-danger-brazils-world-cup-bid/

On 11/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, GaryWood34 said:

IMG_0884.png

😂 I did the same thing on the ‘it’s coming home thing. Can’t remember if it was Pizza Hut, there was so much of it going on , but I replied with a mouthful. 
I am a bloody hypocrite though as I took advantage of discounted kegs from Beerhawk on the ‘it’s coming home’ theme. 
I convinced myself it was acceptable as I could drink the cheap beer watching them get beat . 

2 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

If I’m watching them on tv, in any sport, I always mute their anthem. Have done for years. Honestly thinking about setting up my own form of Buddhism based around this, the amount of serenity it provides….!

Has to be done. petty doesn't describe it, but the alternative of pannin' in your own TV, well what would describe that? 😆

Ok, I get the serenity bit now! Next time there'll be yoga involved too to help me keep my gob shut 🕊️

12 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Has to be done. petty doesn't describe it, but the alternative of pannin' in your own TV, well what would describe that? 😆

Ok, I get the serenity bit now! Next time there'll be yoga involved too to help me keep my gob shut 🕊️

Could call it “it’s coming om…”

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Worked in pubs for decades and NEVER did I ever allow "GSTQ" to be played. Ever. This extends to home too obviously. 

Iv always assumed everyone does that, happened to be in an Irish bar on Sunday watching the League Cup final 10 seconds after the full time whistle blows and the camera pans to the crowd the telly suddenly goes off 😆

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

I closed my account at Nationwide Building Society when they became England sponsors. I was initially an account holder at the Dunfermline Building Society which was merged / taken over by Nationwide. 

That's could fuck you for a mortgage considering they are by far the biggest mortgage lender in the UK now but I respect it 🤣

On 12/21/2023 at 1:21 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

That's could fuck you for a mortgage considering they are by far the biggest mortgage lender in the UK now but I respect it 🤣

The thought that my money was somehow going to benefit them was upsetting.