Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

I think with so many key players out Clarke took the chance to try some new idea's.... didn't work, but didn't quite fail either.

Patterson being in and out the Everton team does not help, as he had spells of really good play, but on the whole it felt like the Georgian's had him in his back pocket.

End of the day, Georgia are still a team who have only lost 1 home game in something like 3 years, and while we might have turned off a little, they clearly have both eyes on their Nations League play off in March.

I think on Sunday Clarke will probably revert back closer to his regular system.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think with so many key players out Clarke took the chance to try some new idea's.... didn't work, but didn't quite fail either.

Patterson being in and out the Everton team does not help, as he had spells of really good play, but on the whole it felt like the Georgian's had him in his back pocket.

End of the day, Georgia are still a team who have only lost 1 home game in something like 3 years, and while we might have turned off a little, they clearly have both eyes on their Nations League play off in March.

I think on Sunday Clarke will probably revert back closer to his regular system.

I still think Patterson will eventually become the best right back we have. I think it might take a bit longer than I’d hoped though.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 man squad

Gunn 1
Gordon 2 
McCrorie 3
Hickey 4
Patterson 5
Robertson 6
Tierney 7
Hendry 8
Porteous 9
McKenna 10
Gilmour 11
McGregor 12
McTominay 13
McGinn 14
Armstrong 15
McLean 16
Ferguson 17
Dykes 18
Christie 19
Adams 20
Doak 21 
Brown 22
Shankland 23

Yes I would take that but I don't see McCrorie making the squad ahead of Clark or Kelly whilst hew remains at Rangers playing no football. I would love to see Doak there but time is sort of running out.

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I would take that but I don't see McCrorie making the squad ahead of Clark or Kelly whilst hew remains at Rangers playing no football. I would love to see Doak there but time is sort of running out.

I think McCrorie should go for the experience. We don’t need 3 keepers (but obliged to select them). Surely McCrorie won’t be at Rangers next season. Still time for Doak. It’s obvious we need to have the option of blistering pace off the bench. I’m sure Clarke would have put him on last night if he’d made the squad - much like he did with Shankland. 

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Clark isn’t an international standard goalie. I’m not convinced Kelly is either 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I am not convinced either and it is an area we desperately need to strengthen. I think we need to have a young keeper in there to mould for the future behind Gunn and Gordon who is preferably getting first team football. There must be one out there somewhere.

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Whether they are or not, I just can’t see Clarke dropping both of them from the Euro squad. When you consider how many squads they’ve been in and the time they’ve had on the pitch since Gunn got injured, it would be brutal to dump them both before the tournament. Clarke is loyal, unless there is an obvious upgrade. Gordon or McCrorie would have to be getting games and playing well.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 man squad

Gunn 1
Gordon 2 
McCrorie 3
Hickey 4
Patterson 5
Robertson 6
Tierney 7
Hendry 8
Porteous 9
McKenna 10
Gilmour 11
McGregor 12
McTominay 13
McGinn 14
Armstrong 15
McLean 16
Ferguson 17
Dykes 18
Christie 19
Adams 20
Doak 21 
Brown 22
Shankland 23

Think I might be inclined to take another CB, bearing in mind how injury prone Tierney is. Would love to see Doak make it for something different, we’re so lacking up front. What a difference a top class striker would make to this team. 

5 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Whether they are or not, I just can’t see Clarke dropping both of them from the Euro squad. When you consider how many squads they’ve been in and the time they’ve had on the pitch since Gunn got injured, it would be brutal to dump them both before the tournament. Clarke is loyal, unless there is an obvious upgrade. Gordon or McCrorie would have to be getting games and playing well.

Well if Gordon regains his first team spot at Hearts it sort of puts Clark out of the equation anyway. And lets be honest the No 3 goalie at the Euros is not going to feature so may as well take a younger keeper along with the future in mind.

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’m hoping Ross Stewart starts to bang the goals in for Southampton and pushes for a spot in the squad. I think he potentially is our best Centre Forward. 

I didn't realise he was 27 already. If he's banging them on in the championship he will put himself right in the frame for a place.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I didn't realise he was 27 already. If he's banging them on in the championship he will put himself right in the frame for a place.

Yeah he spent many years in lower league clubs in Scotland, even played Juniors at one point, I think. Shame no one seemed to see his talent until so late on. He’s also just spent nearly 1 year out with an ACL. But hopefully he’ll be a late bloomer for Scotland. 

Edited by Scot1

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 man squad

Gunn 1
Gordon 2 
McCrorie 3
Hickey 4
Patterson 5
Robertson 6
Tierney 7
Hendry 8
Porteous 9
McKenna 10
Gilmour 11
McGregor 12
McTominay 13
McGinn 14
Armstrong 15
McLean 16
Ferguson 17
Dykes 18
Christie 19
Adams 20
Doak 21 
Brown 22
Shankland 23

I'd have absolutely no problem with that squad. I do think he'll take Hanley and possibly Cooper as well, though. 

The likes of Fraser and Turnbull could stake a claim as well if they can get a run of games in the 2nd half of the season. 

I 100% would include Doak, but Clarke might decide it is just a tad early for him.

Someone mentioned that Clarke may be loyal to certain players. He is to an extent, but I don't think it has ever really stopped him from making big changes. He was loyal to O'Donnell and Gallagher until he wasn't. He will happily drop someone if there is an obviously better player out there.

43 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’m hoping Ross Stewart starts to bang the goals in for Southampton and pushes for a spot in the squad. I think he potentially is our best Centre Forward. 

I think you might be right, I believe he is very hard working also so he should suit our preferred one up front system.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 man squad

Gunn 1
Gordon 2 
McCrorie 3
Hickey 4
Patterson 5
Robertson 6
Tierney 7
Hendry 8
Porteous 9
McKenna 10
Gilmour 11
McGregor 12
McTominay 13
McGinn 14
Armstrong 15
McLean 16
Ferguson 17
Dykes 18
Christie 19
Adams 20
Doak 21 
Brown 22
Shankland 23

Squad is far too heavy on attacking players.

Will be at least 1 if not 2 more defenders in there. For a variety of reasons. One being we will play 5 at the back, 2 being one of our defenders (Tierney) is very injury prone and 3 being that defenders are much more likely to get suspended.

I think he takes 3 strikers who will be Adams, Dykes and 1 other between Shankland, Brown, Nisbett

Personally I dont think Doak makes it as he would have to drop one of McGinn, Mactominay, Christie, Armstrong or Ferguson. (Thats bascially 5 players for 2 positions although McTom can play deeper).

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 man squad

Gunn 1
Gordon 2 
McCrorie 3
Hickey 4
Patterson 5
Robertson 6
Tierney 7
Hendry 8
Porteous 9
McKenna 10
Gilmour 11
McGregor 12
McTominay 13
McGinn 14
Armstrong 15
McLean 16
Ferguson 17
Dykes 18
Christie 19
Adams 20
Doak 21 
Brown 22
Shankland 23

Doak needs to be playing at some level consistently to make the squad i think. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Squad is far too heavy on attacking players.

Will be at least 1 if not 2 more defenders in there. For a variety of reasons. One being we will play 5 at the back, 2 being one of our defenders (Tierney) is very injury prone and 3 being that defenders are much more likely to get suspended.

I think he takes 3 strikers who will be Adams, Dykes and 1 other between Shankland, Brown, Nisbett

Personally I dont think Doak makes it as he would have to drop one of McGinn, Mactominay, Christie, Armstrong or Ferguson. (Thats bascially 5 players for 2 positions although McTom can play deeper).

Doak is in, that’s why there’s one fewer defender. Hickey and Tierney are versatile enough to shuffle around, plus if there is a crisis we can go to a back four or use McTominay. Doak salvages games or wins them in the last 15 minutes. At least that’s the plan. Let’s see how he does tonight against top class opposition.