Scotland Squad Georgia & Norway - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad Georgia & Norway

ProudScot

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dykes fairly pulled us out of a hole with that goal. Couldn't believe our luck when it rolled in.

Me neither. I think I was more delighted by that goal than the winner!

Being dispassionate, a draw was probably the fairer result that day.  Then again, how many times in the past have we been short-changed? We were due a wee bit of luck for once.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barring injuries, those are our midfields and forwards for the Euros in my opinion. That is, unless someone is too good to ignore but unless Doak gets regular games for Liverpool I can't see it happening. Clarke is very conservative in that respect. I'd like to see Jacob Brown getting some minutes.

I think it's still up in the air defenders wise.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Being dispassionate, a draw was probably the fairer result that day.  Then again, how many times in the past have we been short-changed? We were due a wee bit of luck for once.

I thought we did OK in that match and defensively very well and Norway didn't play particularly well either. We were clearly, and rightly, focused on stopping Haaland. Their manager was very foolish to take him off.

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I thought we did OK in that match and defensively very well and Norway didn't play particularly well either. We were clearly, and rightly, focused on stopping Haaland. Their manager was very foolish to take him off.

I was very surprised when he came off (maybe he'd taken a knock or something). We'd created precious little up until then but the game's never over at 1-0, as we went onto show!

5 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Barring injuries, those are our midfields and forwards for the Euros in my opinion. That is, unless someone is too good to ignore but unless Doak gets regular games for Liverpool I can't see it happening. Clarke is very conservative in that respect. I'd like to see Jacob Brown getting some minutes.

I think it's still up in the air defenders wise.

You think? Gilmour, hickey, Patterson were brought in off the back of very little first team action(in top leagues). 

All doak needs is 10 plus appearances before the end of the season and I reckon he goes to the euros. Obviously theres the caveat of how well he does in those appearances but I still think he gets called up.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think? Gilmour, hickey, Patterson were brought in off the back of very little first team action(in top leagues). 

All doak needs is 10 plus appearances before the end of the season and I reckon he goes to the euros. Obviously theres the caveat of how well he does in those appearances but I still think he gets called up.

Would he have taken Gilmour if we had a 23-man squad?

3 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Would he have taken Gilmour if we had a 23-man squad?

Not sure. He did surprisingly start him v England which I doubt many saw coming. 

How many was in our squad for the euros.

Either way gilmour became a first team regular based on very little first team club action.

Not sure there are any real alternatives to this squad, Johnston in as cover for right back? Might still happen for second match. Goalkeepers options are given me the heebie jeebbies, would probably go with McCrorie given that the other two are not very good.  Might make him think about a transfer loan out of Govan in January, Needs it to get some game time. 

31 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It was not about luck in the end. It was about (unlike Scotland teams of old) not resting on their laurels after equalising but going for a winner too which they got.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

What attitude Norway turn up with. For f. cks sake. Can't understand where this fear of Norway has came from. They have been shit in the group. Have a bit more belief in our players. 

We are playing against arguably the best Striker in the World with a makeshift defense and keeper.  They show up wanting to play and it could be dicey, they have scored almost as many goals as we have.  I call that respect not fear but you may disagree. 

15 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We are playing against arguably the best Striker in the World with a makeshift defense and keeper.  They show up wanting to play and it could be dicey, they have scored almost as many goals as we have.  I call that respect not fear but you may disagree. 

So exactly where has having the best striker in the world gotten them then? So you are saying it's all down to how Norway play as to the result of the game. What about the other ten starters in both teams.?We have qualified and they haven't. Let's show them exactly why. Ludicrous to be thinking that way against a team that has FAILED. 

I wouldnt be trying out any players in these games until the points are secured when our seeding at the finals depends on it.

We are already without some important players. Look what happened in Lille with a makeshift side.

Get the strongest team on the field and give others minutes if we get the job done.

Clarke has to start in goals as Kellys form has been poor this season and McCrorie hasnt played any football.

After that its the usual suspects....

Clark

Patterson Hendry Porteous Taylor

Gilmour  Calmac

Christie  McGinn McTominay

Dykes

Edited by Judith

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

One thing to remember with Patterson and Hickey was that the people they came in for were reasonably limited though. Its easier to bring in a young prospect when they are replacing a stop gap. Much harder to drop an established player like Armstrong / Christie etc to bring in Doak regardless of all the signs being that he may go onto become a far better player than them.

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Not sure there are any real alternatives to this squad, Johnston in as cover for right back? Might still happen for second match. Goalkeepers options are given me the heebie jeebbies, would probably go with McCrorie given that the other two are not very good.  Might make him think about a transfer loan out of Govan in January, Needs it to get some game time. 

Could Clarke give McRorie a bigger hint that he rates him and is dying to get him in the squad as a regular? He's brought him in to various squads utterly unreservedly (based on matches played) If he starts getting first team football, he very well could be in our Euros squad. He'd be a fool to not at least go on loan in January. Even to another SPFL team.  

There should be a handful of players pushing for moves in January. Scott McKenna needs a move asap. Celtic should sign him. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Could Clarke give McRorie a bigger hint that he rates him and is dying to get him in the squad as a regular? He's brought him in to various squads utterly unreservedly (based on matches played) If he starts getting first team football, he very well could be in our Euros squad. He'd be a fool to not at least go on loan in January. Even to another SPFL team.  

There should be a handful of players pushing for moves in January. Scott McKenna needs a move asap. Celtic should sign him. 

That can be done by a simple conversation which id be surprised if hasnt already had. The guy will know that he isnt going to be Rangers number 1. If ever there was a time it would have been this year before they brought in Butland. The fact Butland has done so well, so he will know his options are either be 2nd choice at Rangers for good money or take a chance somewhere else,probably starting on less money.

Ive no idea what his home situation is like. Maybe he has personal reasons to want to stay in Glasgow however professionally it seems like a huge waste.

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

I'm with you there mate. We had three shots on target the entire game and two of them resulted in goals. I even remember saying I'd take a draw now but I can't see it; about a minute later Dykes equalised!

It was a great result for us but if I was a Norway fan I'd be beeling. They were in control of that game and almost over the line but threw it away in the final five minutes, a bit like we did against Wales in 2012.

We certainly didn’t play well offensively (at least until the 86th minute) but I think Clarke had set us up to get a draw. If we had lost 1-0 we’d probably have been moaning that Clarke was far too negative but we won the game so we can’t really complain. 

We had exactly the same number of shots on target as Norway did (and one of theirs was a penalty) and we had more corners than they did so for all their possession they didn’t exactly do much with it and got exactly what they deserved in the end. 

13 hours ago, Judith said:

I wouldnt be trying out any players in these games until the points are secured when our seeding at the finals depends on it.

We are already without some important players. Look what happened in Lille with a makeshift side.

Get the strongest team on the field and give others minutes if we get the job done.

Clarke has to start in goals as Kellys form has been poor this season and McCrorie hasnt played any football.

Clark

Gilmour  Calmac

Dykes

If we play with a back four, I think that would be the biggest surprise of Clarke’s reign. I’m not against a back four, just don’t think it will happen.

Think the centre three will be Porteous, Hendry & McKenna ( if McKenna is fit, noticed he wasn’t even on the bench some of Forest’s recent games). Beating in mind how injury prone Tierney is, this could well be the three CBs in the Euros, so the more games they play together the better.

16 hours ago, Judith said:

Clark

Gilmour  Calmac

Dykes

Like the idea of sitting midfield being a huge felking ferry.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

McKenna is not injured. He is involved in contract dispute with Forest. The new contract offered was paltry and refused to sign it so he has been dropped.

I'm pleased to hear it's that & not all down to his ability . Forest have such a huge squad I thought he had been dropped due to a supposed poor game against Burnley.

53 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I'm pleased to hear it's that & not all down to his ability . Forest have such a huge squad I thought he had been dropped due to a supposed poor game against Burnley.

Explains it here:-

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/11/05/nottingham-forest-leave-26-year-old-stunned-and-he-could-now-make-january-exit/

With Doak starting for Liverpool tonight, and us only calling up a 23 man squad, I really don't see any harm in getting him involved in the senior squad. He doesn't even have to play. 

You'd think Clarke would be dying to see him up close and personal in training. I'm fairly certain he'd do a Gilmour and impress that much that he'll end up getting thrown in the deep end. 

Just about to turn 18. If he'd been at virtually any club that isn't the same elite level as Liverpool, he'd already have dozens of games under his belt and probably already be in the Scotland squad.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

With Doak starting for Liverpool tonight, and us only calling up a 23 man squad, I really don't see any harm in getting him involved in the senior squad. He doesn't even have to play. 

You'd think Clarke would be dying to see him up close and personal in training. I'm fairly certain he'd do a Gilmour and impress that much that he'll end up getting thrown in the deep end. 

Just about to turn 18. If he'd been at virtually any club that isn't the same elite level as Liverpool, he'd already have dozens of games under his belt and probably already be in the Scotland squad.

I wonder if we’ll maybe see some additional call ups after the Georgia game? No point inviting players to travel all that distance and not play. Probably better to call them up after and they can train with the squad in Glasgow in the run up to the Norway game.