I do not want Scottish Clubs to Join the English League. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I do not want Scottish Clubs to Join the English League.

I do not want Scottish clubs to join the English league, as people would think Scotland was part of England. 

I do not want the Old Firm to join the English leagues as people would go back to thinking Scotland is in England.

I also do not want a UK league merger. As people would decide the historic Scottish trophies were the status of non-league trophies, while all the English trophies were forerunners of the UK trophies.

And we might go decades with no Scottish teams in Europe, or winning a trophy. 

I want the best of both worlds where we have 3 strong leagues in Great Britain, but also have cross border cups with English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish Republic, Northern Irish, French, Belgian, Danish, Dutch, and MLS club sides, on top of European and domestic football. 

Like the way Scotland allows Northern Irish and Welsh sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup. 

Thanks for reading. 

Cardiff and Swansea play in the english leagues.

I personally think it would be a great idea for the OF to play in England.

If the two ugly sisters went down south, our league would be very competitive instead of a boaring 2 horse race.

(What I don't quite get is if Swansea or Cardiff won a cup , and qualified for Europe would they represent Wales or England?)

Just my opinion, will never happen though

31 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Cardiff and Swansea play in the english leagues.

I personally think it would be a great idea for the OF to play in England.

If the two ugly sisters went down south, our league would be very competitive instead of a boaring 2 horse race.

(What I don't quite get is if Swansea or Cardiff won a cup , and qualified for Europe would they represent Wales or England?)

Just my opinion, will never happen though

If they won the English FA Cup -or the English League Cup - then I guess they'd represent England.  🤷‍♂️

I mind in the days of the Cup Winners Cup, the likes of Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham regularly appeared in Europe representing Wales, by virtue of winning the Welsh equivalent of the FA Cup.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

If they won the English FA Cup -or the English League Cup - then I guess they'd represent England.  🤷‍♂️

I mind in the days of the Cup Winners Cup, the likes of Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham regularly appeared in Europe representing Wales, by virtue of winning the Welsh equivalent of the FA Cup.

Until relatively recently there was no league structure in Wales.  Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham along with Merthyr Tydfil could only play in the English Leagues.  

When the League of Wales was formed, these clubs were given “grandfather” status to remain in the English system but could no longer compete in the Welsh Cup - which was the entry to Europe.

Although they play in the English System, they are affiliated to the FAW.  Practically this means that virtually every transfer - unless it’s from another Welsh club - has to get international clearance and the FAW are responsible for disciplinary matters even as it pertains to an English competition.

There’s a couple of other oddities as well.  TNS, who play in the League of Wales are actually in Oswestry, in England.  

Chester FC’s ground straddles the border, the entrance, offices and main stand are in England but the playing surface and other three stands are in Wales.  They got into problems during Covid as England - or at least Cheshire - was allowing fans but they were not allowed in Wales.

Edited by aaid

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, Toepoke said:

Trainloads of English hoolies spending every weekend in Glasgow? No fanks 🙅

Train loads of ugly sisters hooligans heading south with their vile songs every other weekend instead of around Scotland, yes please 🙏🙏🙏

Unfortunately we just wouldn’t survive without them, the tv deal if we managed to get one would be about a £5er each over the season. With less money in the game the diddies would be losing players to the English lower leagues at their first opportunity of earning a decent wage, we’d be league of Ireland standard within 5 years. Obviously I’d love this not to be the case as never seeing their vile/hate filled fans at Easter Road again is definitely something I’d look forward to, we should change the voting structure and look at a bigger league with only playing each other twice unfortunately nobody is willing to give up a home gate against either of them. They get their own way up here because we all bow down for the money they bring, very rarely do clubs call them or their fans out. Anyhoo they (the English) won’t be voting them in anytime soon and the only way it happens is if/when the Saudi’s buy the entire premier league and just invite who they want

Edited by dan cake

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Unfortunately we just wouldn’t survive without them, the tv deal if we managed to get one would be about a £5er each over the season. With less money in the game the diddies would be losing players to the English lower leagues at their first opportunity of earning a decent wage, we’d be league of Ireland standard within 5 years. Obviously I’d love this not to be the case as never seeing their vile/hate filled fans at Easter Road again is definitely something I’d look forward to, we should change the voting structure and look at a bigger league with only playing each other twice unfortunately nobody is willing to give up a home gate against either of them. They get their own way up here because we all bow down for the money they bring, very rarely do clubs call them or their fans out. Anyhoo they (the English) won’t be voting them in anytime soon and the only way it happens is if/when the Saudi’s buy the entire premier league and just invite who they want

A few clubs have recently reduced the OFs away allocations so these clubs don’t rely on the blue/green pound, it’s the clubs who give them 2 or 3 stands that can’t live without them or the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts.

27 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Will never happen

Don't want it to either

As mentioned the idea of having trainloads of scousers and the likes in Glasgow every other Saturday would be awful

Sure the scousers would feel the same with Liverpool overrun with trainloads of arse cheeks 👍

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Why haven’t a team with the resources like Aberdeen not consolidated the No 3 position in Scottish football  in recent years ? 

The same reason as Rangers have underachieved, mismanagement from top to bottom, employing shite arrogant managers who’ve wasted millions on rubbish players 👍

oh & the sfa/ corrupt refs 😜

• 2 weeks later...

You could probably revisit this forum in another 10 years and the same subject will pop up.

My two cents on the consideration of OF moving away basically aligns to the below comment. But then you need to revisit what the objective of such a change would be. Do we mind a lower standard as a sacrifice for a competitive league? The Scotland National Team should be unaffected by this as they will still have access to players who leave to go to England (and elsewhere) - see the likes of Ireland, Norway, Sweden National teams for example. It actually might be helpful in fact for aspiring players to get out of Scotland younger.

My guess is the powers that be will continue to milk the gravy train that comes with the attraction of the OF and the larger revenues from that, and everyone else will moan and brainstorm various different solutions for further decades.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, dan cake said: