Injury Watch - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just came across this Aaron.Hickey update on X:-

It is expected that Brentford and Scotland defender Aaron Hickey’s injury comeback date is the 11th of May.

If he is back on this date, providing there’s no more setbacks, he could be available for Brentford’s last two Premier League games of the season.

The final Euro 2024 squad announcement will be expected to be announced in early to mid May so he could be ready to take a place on the plane to Germany, providing that he is back and all cleared to go.

No sure how much you can rely on the accuracy of that report, seems quite specific for what will be a long term injury. I think it is wait and see job.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callum McGregor appears to be out of the friendlies. I'm sure he'll be in the Euros squad, but this could be an opportunity for someone else to stake a claim for a starting position. 

Gilmour is a dead cert, but will it be Christie or Ferguson to come in for CalMac? Or will McTominay be pushed back? Or maybe even McLean?

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Callum McGregor appears to be out of the friendlies. I'm sure he'll be in the Euros squad, but this could be an opportunity for someone else to stake a claim for a starting position. 

Gilmour is a dead cert, but will it be Christie or Ferguson to come in for CalMac? Or will McTominay be pushed back? Or maybe even McLean?

Got to be Christie based on current form and his current club position. McT plays but further up the park. Ferguson surely gets some minutes in these games 

12 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Got to be Christie based on current form and his current club position. McT plays but further up the park. Ferguson surely gets some minutes in these games 

Personally, I've only really heard about how well Ferguson is doing out in Italy, as opposed to seeing him myself. Whereas I have seen Christie in action dozens of times. So I have to agree, Christie would be the one I'd be starting in the next match.

Maybe try Ferguson in the following game.

Be criminal if he doesn't give Christie a go where he is playing for Bournemouth. Also think Ferguson is well worth a couple of starts. We know what the regular starters can do. Ferguson seems to be outstanding in Italy. Captain for a side that are sitting 4th I think. Brilliant to have these options 

Agreed on putting Christie in with Gilmour but, if it's really Euros prep, I wouldn't start Ferguson as he is not in with a shot of starting at the Euros. If you make too many changes, it becomes pointless. For example, If Shankland is in with a shot of being our number 9, I want him surrounded by our best players. Same goes for Souttar.

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Agreed on putting Christie in with Gilmour but, if it's really Euros prep, I wouldn't start Ferguson as he is not in with a shot of starting at the Euros. If you make too many changes, it becomes pointless. For example, If Shankland is in with a shot of being our number 9, I want him surrounded by our best players. Same goes for Souttar.

Why wouldn’t Ferguson start at the Euros? 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Seems that Mcgregors injury is worse than thought, a lot of reports on twitter saying his season is over, cannot see anything to clarify though. 

All official sources say scans have come up as not showing up anything clearly so cannot see how that can rule him.out for the season.

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep. Callum McGregor

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Billy Gilmour is the natural replacement for him. Fwrguson is a totally different midfielder to McGregor style-wise.

Agreed. It would more likely be McGinn or McTominay and that's not going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, LoganRoy said:

The chat is McGregor needs an OP and won't make the Euros. 

CalMac the player like the ferries - won’t be setting sail for quite some time..

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

Apparently needs an operation but Celtic want him to play with injections so he can delay it. From a Scotland perspective an operation now might mean he’d recover in time for the Euros? 

He’s possibly fcked for Scotland either way. An operation now might not give him enough recovery time and a delayed op will definitely mean he’s out…I can’t imagine medics for Celtic or Scotland will let him play with injections for 4 months. 

15 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Personally, I've only really heard about how well Ferguson is doing out in Italy, as opposed to seeing him myself. Whereas I have seen Christie in action dozens of times. So I have to agree, Christie would be the one I'd be starting in the next match..

Surely that goes against the theory that we want our players going abroad to challenge and improve themselves?

Christie is playing in a bottom half EPL side. Ferguson is vice captain for a side in the champions league places in Italy. 

Doesnt really matter as they are currently playing in different positions but for me Ferguson should be ahead if we are talking about one of the 2 attacking mid roles behind the striker.

However 1 thing that Christie has that Ferguson doesnt overly have in his game atm is intensity in the press which really suits our style in certain games.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Surely that goes against the theory that we want our players going abroad to challenge and improve themselves?

Christie is playing in a bottom half EPL side. Ferguson is vice captain for a side in the champions league places in Italy. 

Doesnt really matter as they are currently playing in different positions but for me Ferguson should be ahead if we are talking about one of the 2 attacking mid roles behind the striker.

However 1 thing that Christie has that Ferguson doesnt overly have in his game atm is intensity in the press which really suits our style in certain games.

Christie also knows the system Clarke plays inside out, has bags of experience at international level and Clarke knows he can rely on him for a performance. Ferguson is a trip into the unknown on those fronts and to go into that unknown virtually untried in a major tournament would be a massive risk.

9 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

Thats what happens when you play 65 games every season on repeat including all the easy games, exactly what they did to Kieren Tierney too

Not that McGregor isn't important but if I had to choose one player out of him, Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay not to make the Euros it would probably be him.  Interested to see how Christie would get on in that role and now Clarke's hand may be forced.

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm 'chat' that has not been.picked up by any major or even minor media sources.

Is that confirmed? I heard Rodgers say he's out for the international games this month but didn't hear more than that.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, YesTA said:

Is that confirmed? I heard Rodgers say he's out for the international games this month but didn't hear more than that.

There is no confirmation and even media sources have not speculated that McGregor is out of the Euros but seems like Paw Broon at the Butt and Ben knows so must be true.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brendan-rodgers-offers-callum-mcgregor-28793190.amp

Rodgers hoping back after international break though sounds bit vague on timeline and if they know what issue is.

Worrying, thought McGregor was outstanding in last qualifier v Norway at Hampden.